330 replies to this topic

#321 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,825 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 2315 PM

Neither Iran or the UK are in a position to hurt each other much. However Iran cannot afford a direct conflict even with the UK. RN warships could operate outside the straits with RAF cover flying from a undisclosed friendly country. those aircraft could very severely damage critical infrastructure and naval stations on the coast. Keep in mind that Iran has had to import much of it's refined fuels, a war footing would drive insurance rates up for ships going to Iran.

#322 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 2341 PM

Gibraltar's refusal to grant Washington's follow-up request to maintain the seizure is interesting for what it cited as the basis for the decision: that U.S. sanctions were not applicable to its or international law.

I suspect Washington knew this, but was operating in the same way a car dealership sends out 1500 notices to car buyers informing them that they owe a few hundred in additional fees, on the assumption that 20-50 will send them a check.

#323 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 53,421 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 0129 AM

watch that tanker sail directly to Syria

remember danegeld?

I seem to recall your own President Reagan was not beyond cutting a few sharp deals with Iran to get hostages back, so this criticism strikes me as a little lacking in historical perspective.

Australia to send 200 troops, a warship and surveillance aircraft to the gulf.

https://www.dailymai...tes-forces.html

#324 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 0506 AM

Did the UK cut a deal then? It looks as if Gibraltar just released the ship with the UK not getting anything in return.

#325 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,421 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 0515 AM

No idea. I think that Gibraltar found itself in a higher game than it thought. It THOUGHT it was upholding EU sanctions so it would perhaps be spared the worst effect's of Brexit. Then it found it was in a superpowers game and wanted out. I suspect the British Government perhaps did give a nod and a wink in the hope we get our ship back. If we dont, well lets put it this way, Iran wont be sending ships this way again. We could stop all of them for inspections if we felt like it.

Will we get our ship back? Probably not, no. OTOH, its the easiest way of defusing the crisis which a few weeks ago looked like it was on the brink of war. I would have though the Americans would thank us for that, but clearly thats too much to expect.

#326 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,223 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 0533 AM

I don't care about the ship - it's not ours anyway except as an Isle of Man flagged vessel. I'm more interested in Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe and more recently:

https://www.independ...e-a9056786.html

And this one, also.

https://www.independ...n-a9070591.html

Edited by DB, 21 August 2019 - 0536 AM.

#327 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,421 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 0543 AM

Its the precedent more than anything.  If we wont protect ships that are flagged with the United Kingdom, its going to have all sorts of knock on effects, even increased threat from piracy. And it makes the country look all the weaker at a time when its trying to reinvent itself on the world stage.

I dont think we are going to get any of them back. In the delusional state Iran is in, all these are legitimate hostages to prevent regime change. For then, its still the high summer of 1952 and Mosaddegh is being deposed. Which is hilarious because I dont believe Mosaddegh would give these jokers the time of day were he still alive.

#328 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 1844 PM

Zachary -Radcliffe will probably be released in the near term, if only to demonstrate Tehran's responsiveness to carrots versus sticks.

#329 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,421 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:51 AM

No, I dont believe so. They have found a useful bulwark, and they want to remain behind it. After all, after gadaffi, if you give up your methods of leverage, the west isnt to be trusted, right?

No, I dont agree with them. Im just trying to see the world in the warped and nonsensical way they do. I dont see them giving any concessions at all.

#330 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,622 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 AM

countdown.jpg

https://www.state.go...ies-areas/iran/

#331 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:12 AM

No, I dont believe so. They have found a useful bulwark, and they want to remain behind it. After all, after gadaffi, if you give up your methods of leverage, the west isnt to be trusted, right?

No, I dont agree with them. Im just trying to see the world in the warped and nonsensical way they do. I dont see them giving any concessions at all.

You may very well be right, but the image of Iran in the eyes of Japan and Japanese is not an adversarial one in various ways. I would be surprised if Iran did not respond to Gibraltar's overture in some fashion, if only to offer face to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users