26 replies to this topic

#21 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,583 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 01 April 2018 - 0820 AM

IIRC  6 batteries (24 guns) were acquired, so in that case Spain was probably serving as intermediate, but it is not clear to me why it would be needed.

There were a lot of those strange deals, including transfer of the weapons to Greece (both in 1940-41 and post WW2) that were never really researched, including the fact that it is almost entirely unknown what exactly was sent in 41. (some things were deduced from German beute tables - eg. rechambered Mannlicher M.95/24 and Hotchkiss M.14/28). Other stuff was estimated to be non-standard weapons (non-rechambered French stuff, various exotics etc), but no documents were ever found either here or in Greece.

#22 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,549 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 01 April 2018 - 0825 AM

I would guess Breda wanted the money without the hassle of going to the Duce for permission. Polish dealers made a huge cut on supplying the Republicans with all kind of left over stuff.

#23 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • Interests:Them grate steal beest! and, there history.

Posted 02 April 2018 - 0825 AM

IIRC  6 batteries (24 guns) were acquired, so in that case Spain was probably serving as intermediate, but it is not clear to me why it would be needed.

There were a lot of those strange deals, including transfer of the weapons to Greece (both in 1940-41 and post WW2) that were never really researched, including the fact that it is almost entirely unknown what exactly was sent in 41. (some things were deduced from German beute tables - eg. rechambered Mannlicher M.95/24 and Hotchkiss M.14/28). Other stuff was estimated to be non-standard weapons (non-rechambered French stuff, various exotics etc), but no documents were ever found either here or in Greece.

The Balkans is a mystery. ;)

Would the supplies to Greece in 40/41 be assistance in their war against Italy? If so, perhaps it was done very clandestine leaving few traces.

#24 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,583 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 0838 AM

Would the supplies to Greece in 40/41 be assistance in their war against Italy? If so, perhaps it was done very clandestine leaving few traces.

Yes, and while it was done clandestinely, it was relatively known affair. It is just that we have no real idea what was sent...

#25 rohala

rohala

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 1604 PM

Bojan, there's a book by the Greek Army's History Directorate on procurements and logistics for the 1940-41 war. I don't have it near me, but from what I recall no weapons are mentioned to have been received from Yugoslavia. Who knows...

#26 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,583 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 1742 PM

IIRC deal was that all weapons from Yugoslavia were formally British aid, in order not to piss off Italians, as an agreement was just reached that they will stop supporting Croatian Ustasha movement.

Also, some British aid went over Yugoslavia - it is believed among local historians that 3.7" mountain howitzers captured by Germans in Yugoslavia and assigned beute number were actually captured "in transit" to Greece, since they were not used by Yugoslavia, nor were in the reserves in 1941.

Nothing is ever easy or simple in Balkans... :(

Edited by bojan, 04 April 2018 - 1743 PM.

#27 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • Interests:Them grate steal beest! and, there history.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 1303 PM

Nothing is ever easy or simple in Balkans... :(

If it was easy or simple, it would not be The Balkan ™. ;) ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users