115 replies to this topic

#61 shootER5

shootER5

Beer drinker, hell raiser.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 1251 PM

My wife used to work near Habaneros and loved going there for lunch.

#62 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 1916 PM

There is just something about a woman speaking Russian that makes me....hungry. 

#63 swerve

swerve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,779 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 1642 PM

We now have a few South Indian restaurants, wholly or mostly meat-free (but very tasty fish curries) which have sneaked in under the cover of the usual horde of northern (from Peshawar to Dhaka) food. Tend to attract migrant Indian IT workers, & locals who want something new.

There's also a Romanian food shop, which makes a change from Polish.

#64 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 2109 PM

Greek. South Asian. British. Mexican. The last, well, not really really Mexican because the establishment is owned by a British guy who worked for a long time in Mexico as a cook or something and then married a Filipina and built his own Mexican restaurant near home offering authentic Mexican food (as he claims).

There are two Greek restaurants near home, one is owned by a Greek-Turk guy, the other is owned by a Greek. The former's restaurant is more Greek, the other is more diverse (i.e., Mediterranean - so includes Italian).

There's a couple of South Asian restaurants near home that offer that region's cuisine. I've had a bit of their curry and it is good. Haven't got the time to checkout the rest of their menu, though.

The British pub is farther from home. It is owned by a guy who made his money (and is more known here) as a hairdresser with his chain of beauty parlors. Offers traditional British fare and has an attached grocery for imported UK stuff. Lots of Brits eat there - pro'ly one reason are the Filipina waitresses who, at times, wear British school girl uniforms complete with short skirts and jackets....

Koreans I think I have mentioned in this thread before, and the main street where I live is practically Little Korea full of Korean restaurants and grocery shops.

And of course Persian food, or rather Middle East. There are two, the older one has been a mainstay selling shawarma, hummus, and such. I haven't tried the other one.

There used to be a Singaporean restaurant owned by a SG guy, just a few steps from home but it was IIRC expensive. I loved their curry though. Has since been converted into an appliance/general merchandise store selling stuff supposedly being sold at SG.

AH! I forgot about (I think - dunno if I mentioned earlier in the thread) a Swiss deli that offers Swiss/German/whatever food. It's actually the second Yurropeen (not French) restaurant near home, but the first closed after decades in operation and has since been relocated nearer home and named Swiss Deli. I've eaten there once and did not like the food (I recall order spatzl - I think I mentioned it in this thread or somewhere else in TN before), although it is a nice close source for other stuff that is typically found only at a deli and not at your usual grocery.

In hindsight, I like the place where I live. Just go to the main avenue and I can have my choice of Italian, Swiss/German, Korean, Japanese, Mexican, Persian/Middle East, South Asian, and American food. And this is just the suburbs so less "busy" compared to living in the big cities (e.g., Manila, Makati, Quezon City), and all these restaurants are just either a few steps away, or a bike ride, or a short drive.

Edited by Corinthian, 05 November 2015 - 2116 PM.

#65 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,971 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 0012 AM

The British pub is farther from home. It is owned by a guy who made his money (and is more known here) as a hairdresser with his chain of beauty parlors. Offers traditional British fare and has an attached grocery for imported UK stuff. Lots of Brits eat there - pro'ly one reason are the Filipina waitresses who, at times, wear British school girl uniforms complete with short skirts and jackets....

this thread is worthless without pictures....

#66 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 0256 AM

this thread is worthless without pictures....

Hear, hear!

#67 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,144 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 2117 PM

Iranians dont eat shwarma. They call them kebab.

#68 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 0030 AM

The "Persian" restaurants here have both kebab and shawarma. :lol: Some of the staff even call the food Arabic. :D :D :D

Oh dear....

As for the useless-without-pix comments above, since both of you have FB, see https://www.facebook...n-211064230737/. They might have photos of the staff there.

Edited by Corinthian, 10 November 2015 - 0030 AM.

#69 swerve

swerve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,779 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 1828 PM

This bloke

He's sponsored all-women cycling groups to take part in audaxes, up to & including the PBP (Paris-Brest-Paris ride, 1230 km in no more than 90 hours: successful completion of a series of rides up to 600 km within time limits required to qualify for entry).

#70 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 0615 AM

Yep that guy. Yeah, he has an all-female cycling team here - and many of the members are really pretty especially the one on the lower right. :wub:

tds%20slider.jpg

I once found myself riding inside the group (meant to follow them ahehe... but found meself soon inside :o ) and nearly hit one of them so I braked hard and I crashed. Fortunately, I didn't hit any of them otherwise I would've been sued :lol:

And yeah, he is probably twice larger than me but he can ride faster and longer times than I do.

#71 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 2021 PM

SgnDD6y.jpg

#72 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,046 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 1107 AM

Well I am waiting for my favorite Indian place to open, so I am drinking Starbucks crap coffee and using their wifi to post.  A HA!  the open sign just came on, now to a delightful lunch.

#73 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,971 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 1253 PM

Took the family and Nephew for Dosa last night, he is very, very happy and surprisingly felt content afterwards. Rare for a 21 year male to have eaten enough.....

#74 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 1259 PM

I grew up in the San Francisco bay area (southbay -- San Jose). It offers a huge diversity of food genres, so other places I've lived have been more notable for lacking specific types.

Here in Sonoma County, we're swimming in Mexican food (which is great -- I love the stuff), but good Indian is lacking, and the folks here seem averse to asian food in general other than Chinese.

We've seen them come and go, and Japanese restaurants here follow a distinct pattern:
1) They open as a Japanese restaurant, offering good quality Japanese food.
2) Business stalls for lack of customers.
3) One of:
.... a ) they stick with it anyway and go out of business,
.... b ) they switch to a "Fusion" offering (mixing Chinese, Thai, etc into their menu) and about two-thirds go out of business,
.... c ) they switch to Americanized "Japanese" dishes (more fried, more beef, less raw fish) and about two-thirds go out of business.

The only good sushi I've been able to find anywhere within twenty miles is Yireh Sushi in west Santa Rosa. They recently took option 3a (remade themselves, changed their name from "Sunnyside Tokyo", and retargeted to a more upscale audience), and I'm hoping they buck the trend and stick around for a while.

One novelty I've not seen anywhere else is the family-owned/run "Laotian Teriyaki" restaurant, also in west Santa Rosa. It chose the 3b path, and has been struggling along for years but not dead yet. Their "Laotian Specialties" are now a small subsection of the menu, the rest taken up by semi-authentic Thai, Chinese, Cajun, Japanese offerings.

Their prices are low (for the area), their ingredients are fresh (I regularly see the younger son carrying in crates of carrots and broccoli from local farms), their portions are large, and I'm a big fan of their chicken teriyaki. I've shown my face frequently enough that the owner sees me walk in the door and shouts over her shoulder "LAHGE CHIKHEN TEHIYAKEEE!" It's nice to be remembered :-D

Shameless plug:
http://ciar.org/ttk/food/473stony/

That menu is a couple years old; I should pick up a new one.

Edited by TTK Ciar, 02 September 2016 - 1303 PM.

#75 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 2329 PM

Northside Chicagoland has received a Joilibee.

http://www.chicagotr...look-story.html

Uncertain if I will find the time to try it.  S/F.....Ken M

#76 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 2149 PM

Jollibee errs on the sweet side. At least in its motherland. Dunno if they've changed their recipes to suit foreign taste buds. There was a Buzzfeed (*vomit* *washes mouth*) video of young hipster-esque Americans trying out Jollibee food and some of them felt kinda disgusted. :D

Edited by Corinthian, 04 September 2016 - 2150 PM.

#77 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,213 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 1426 PM

https://fee.org/arti...n-every-corner/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_MeRIJbl0A

#78 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 1019 AM

My favorite mom and pop hole in the wall Mexican place closed, and recently another even more hole in the wall Mexican joint opened in the same spot. Went there this morning for the first time. When they offered me both the lunch and breakfast menu at 9am, I knew they were speaking my language. Probably the most authentic Mexican joint that has ever opened within the city limits. There was no Speedy Gonzales special on the menu, which sees to be the signature offering of every Mexican joint catering to the white folk.  They even offer home made corn and flour tortillas.  Sadly due to my diet restrictions I could not sample those, or much else on the menu, but what I got was great. The chorizo was good quality, and not the usual cheap crap you find so many places.Their homemade salsas were some of the best I have had. I am almost tempted to go back for lunch.  If I get real ballsy, I will have to go in and try their menudo some time. See if I can finally do tripe. 

6bPFooe.jpg

Edited by Mr King, 10 September 2016 - 1021 AM.

#79 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 0104 AM

You mentioned Mexican food. Gawd glorious Mexican food.

I satisfied my burrito craving yesterday. Ate wot I consider is the best damn burrito ever, by Tio Pedro's restaurant. It's cheaper and so much better than the burrito sold by Army Navy restaurant here. It's cheaper and yummier than the really good burrito sold by Hermanos restaurant here. My only criticism is that the Tio Pedro burrito was served on a plate with sauce over it. I would've preferred it wrapped in paper or foil so I can eat it with my hands instead with fork and knife. Still, it was superb.

Will go back one day for their fajitas etc.

It's been more than a year since I last ate there mainly because parking and time issues. Last night, though, the stars were properly aligned. Back then, their restaurant was a small affair of 4 tables. Last night, they expanded, and the menu has likewise expanded. The burrito also became larger. It was good already back then. It was so much better now.

Delicious.

#80 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,026 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 0307 AM

Just found that the American creativity got to Sangría, that Iberian drink.

Results are... interesting.