Wowp 2.0

3 replies to this topic

#1 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,818 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 13 October 2017 - 1911 PM

So I got an email from WG stating WoWp 2.0 has launched.  Apparently it's a massive rework of the game (though I'm hesitant about those given how AW's relaunch went).  Pulled up the WoWp reddit page for the first time in... years?  Came across this Jingles vid:

As he states off the bat considering how awful WoWp was before he had zero expectations for this relaunch and was pleasantly surprised by what little he saw.  As I like Jingles I'll go ahead and redownload to see if it's still a steaming pile of shit or half decent finally.  (The joy of F2P games.)

Edit: Seriously... why does WoWp have its own subforum?  :blink:

Edited by Skywalkre, 13 October 2017 - 1911 PM.

#2 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,818 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 13 October 2017 - 2108 PM

Jingles was spot on in that it actually plays smoothly now.  That's about all I agree with him on. 

Flying feels so robotic and... off.  I also wouldn't say controls feel intuitive.  A glaring example of this is before you could use your RMB to look around your aircraft.  Now that button seems to do nothing and I couldn't find a way by just messing around to look anywhere but forward.

It's certainly a step up from where it was before but honestly all they could do is go up.  No real itch after playing a few games tonight.

#3 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 13 October 2017 - 2110 PM

The mods thought wowp was going to be as big as WOT.

#4 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 2002 PM

Gave it a few more games and while it has a lot of shine it still seems to be a turd underneath.  A few points.

• I think Jingles may not have realized he changed the controls way back when he played to something that feels more 'intuitive' (i.e., how WT has it) because my controls (such as drop bomb) are different than how he had it.  I'm betting he just forgot and is giving credit to WoWp where none is due.
  • The UI is a step back.  Something as basic as how your plan is oriented is missing when you're zoomed in.  Unfortunately (or fortunately?) this may be irrelevant because the flight physics appear to be a joke.  If your plane is level or flying with the wings perpendicular to the ground it doesn't appear to alter your ability to maneuver the plane.  I'm no flight sim pro but I'm pretty sure that's not how it should work.
  • Balance is... amusing.  Anyone remember when WoWp first came out and GA planes were basically impossible to take down due to armor and a ridiculous number of hps?  Well, it's the opposite now.  They're easy kills.  On top of that their gameplay is no more engaging than it was before.

All in all after almost a dozen games WoWp is better than the steaming pile of shit it was before... but now it's little more than a glorified browser game.  Another WG title that's a foot wide and inch deep.

Edited by Skywalkre, 14 October 2017 - 2026 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users