2 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 1908 PM

The following work on the Somme seems to get positive reviews. Recommended, or are there better books on this particular engagement?

http://www.amazon.co...16009564&sr=1-8

#2 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,921 posts
  • Interests:God in His universe/amateur theology, my family, history, bass guitar, painting military miniatures,etc.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 0135 AM

That isn't a bad book, but it only covers the first day of a very long battle. I liked Lyn MacDonald's Somme book, and also Peter Hart's book. I'm sure that others will have their own candidates, but those are the only ones that I've read.

#3 John(txic)

John(txic)

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Aviation History<br />Naval History<br />Military History<br />Black Metal<br />Death Metal (the melodic sort only, mind!)<br />Electric Folk

Posted 16 November 2014 - 0811 AM

Where the Middlebrook book scores is that he firstly explains the raising of the BEF before the disaster of 1st July.  It enabled me to make sense of the subsequent books I have read on the subject.  He has a knack of imparting understanding to the layman: he did a similar job in his book on the Battle of the Atlantic, and so for that reason alone this title is an excellent introduction to a big, big topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users