141 replies to this topic

#41 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 0929 AM

Id probably get it if it had an Estonia map in it.

I've used two Finland maps for Estonia. They do a great job of showing how easily defence and resupply interdiction can be implemented in relatively flat, heavily forested terrain.

#42 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 1812 PM

"Grenny" made another video, focusing on air defense, and CV90 programmable air burst munitions; arguably some of the main reasons we went out to improve the underlying model.

#43 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 2050 PM

That was really, really impressive - beautifully rendered new vehicles/systems that are going to be so much fun in game. You have so fixed the helicopter damage model, at least as far as fragmenting of KETF type projectiles are concerned. The 35mm KETF and 40mm 3P ammunition natures (the latter already pretty well simulated, at least in anti helicopter effect) are really fascinating and add a lot of enjoyment and realism to the simulation. Many thanks for that!  A couple of questions though. 

1. It looked like the guns shooting at helicopters were leading the target a tad insufficiently - I have had that happen quite a bit with various systems, particularly at longer ranges. 

2. How do you get on with the frag model with systems that generate truly huge numbers of frags? I'm thinking, in particular the GMLRS "Alternative" warhead that (IIRC) generates about 100,000 tungsten pellets.

#44 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 0239 AM

Glad you liked it. :)

As to your questions,

#1: Yeah, it really looked like that.

#2: We only keep few business secrets, this being one of them. I don't need to educate our competitors how to do this. It wasn't easy.

#45 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 0538 AM

I'm REALLY looking forward to 4.1. I'd have bought it for the improved damage model alone, but you guys have done so much more.

#46 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 0604 AM

We're not done yet.    ^_^

#47 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1455 PM

We're not done yet.    ^_^

The temptation to start typing yet another wish list is almost tangible :)

Still drooling over that Fennek AD variant. Will the recce version have an extendable optronic mast? I'm assuming you ARE doing at least the German and NL recce versions...

#48 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1525 PM

I'm sorry, the playable Fennek will still have to wait a bit longer. As far as I know, the main difference between the two is that the German one received a slightly stronger armor protection (up to 7.62 x 54 AP) while the Dutch were content with protection against 7.62 x 39 FMJ.

That said, here's another one:

Edited by Ssnake, 10 June 2019 - 0107 AM.

#49 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1454 PM

I'm sorry, the playable Fennek will still have to wait a bit longer. As far as I know, the main difference between the two is that the German one received a slightly stronger armor protection (up to 7.62 x 54 AP) while the Dutch were content with protection against 7.62 x 39 FMJ.

The Dutch apparently use a 0.50 MG as standard whereas Germany uses an MG3 or 40mm GMG. The Dutch allegedly have a Spike armed AT version and 18 of a version with a Turkish Stinger launcher system, according to Wiki. I was surprised how many mission specific version there are and that Holland is a much larger user of the vehicle than Germany.

#50 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1519 PM

Ssnake, I noticed in the Finland video that the BTRs didn't have shadows beneath them, but they do in the air defence video (lovely job on the suspension of the Humvee moving over rough ground by the way). Why the difference?

I didn't get the difference between Flugabwehr and Fliegerabwehr - only one was explained. Could you please elaborate?

#51 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1545 PM

Ssnake, I noticed in the Finland video that the BTRs didn't have shadows beneath them, but they do in the air defence video (lovely job on the suspension of the Humvee moving over rough ground by the way). Why the difference?

I didn't get the difference between Flugabwehr and Fliegerabwehr - only one was explained. Could you please elaborate?

Yes... Currently, if there's "overcast" sky the groundhog won't be able to spot its shadow. In the screenshots shown at the end with the expanded visibility limits the shadows appear as soon as the cloud cover breaks up. I've proposed to add at least a blob shadow under overcast situations, but I can't promise there will be one by the time of the release.

"Fliegerabwehr" is every unit's/every soldier's duty when confronted with air threat. The theory being that if enough people point their rifles and MGs at the sky, at least a few bullets might gets sucked into turbines. "Flugabwehr" on the other hand is a dedicated branch of the army, tasked with air defense.

#52 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1549 PM

The Dutch apparently use a 0.50 MG as standard whereas Germany uses an MG3 or 40mm GMG. The Dutch allegedly have a Spike armed AT version and 18 of a version with a Turkish Stinger launcher system, according to Wiki. I was surprised how many mission specific version there are and that Holland is a much larger user of the vehicle than Germany.

Yes, they have a lot of variants.

• Fennek AD - general purpose/liaison vehicle
  • Fennek Recce - the iconic one with the sensor mast
  • Fennek Mortar - towing a 120mm mortar
  • Fennek AT - transporting a Spike launcher team
  • Fennek Stinger - air defense unit, as mentioned

#53 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 1219 PM

I was really hoping for some more leaks by Ssnake or Grenny to appear here by now...

#54 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 1909 PM

The video renders. Upload tomorrow. Video Studio crashed on me, so... some delays.

#55 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 0316 AM

This afternoon.

#56 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 1237 PM

I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve, Snake!  

#57 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 1557 PM

Not out of ammo yet; but before we continue, maybe put the latest right here first:

I should point out that the terrain in this video is based on LIDAR scans of, I think, about one meter resolution (close to our limit). This sometimes shows with cuts into a hill side with certain road bends which were not procedurally created but are based on real life data (which is also why the roads sometimes are still at an odd angle, we haven't embellished anything here).

That map (Pahkajärvi) will be part of the PE 4.1 release so everybody can experience the somewhat questionable joys of conducting mechanized operations in highly restrictive terrain.

Edited by Ssnake, 13 June 2019 - 1602 PM.

#58 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 1451 PM

Awesome! That Kurganets is indeed a tough cookie.

#59 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 2009 PM

A (dare I say it) slightly unstructured overview over remote weapon stations, old and new:

Minor corrections & comments,

• the M153 "Nordic Protector" on XA-360 is the Swedish model; hidden in the menus is also the option for a laser pointer (which however currently only renders a red spot in the terrain (but it can be seen by other network session participants, so it may still have a role in guiding other players on a target of interest))
  • the two M151 (regular) Protectors are the equivalent of the CROWS II
  • the Austrian ERCWS is made by Elbit
  • the Spanish MiniSamson is made by Rafael
  • the Lemur exists in two variants, the 2010 and the 2013 model (the latter with the option for a shot detection system as well as a 50x Sniper scope), and it can be remotely operated e.g. on top of a HESCO observation turret in the object protection role

#60 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 0041 AM

Are you modelling any hard kill active protection systems this time around?