Photo

Iran says that..sorry, can't hold back the laughter...it will send naval ships to US coast

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#21 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,415 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 0715 AM

In slightly related news:

Iranian navy declares that they are starting design of aircraft and helicopter carriers. :huh:

(In Persian) http://www.mashreghn...

Starting design is easy; a pencil and scrap of paper--it's the other end of the process that gets a bit tricky (and expensive). Maybe someone could "leak" the plans of our procurement processes. That would suck money from their nuke programs like nobody's business!

#22 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,415 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 0720 AM

funny the year 1904 keeps popping into my head....

Bring it! USCG could use the practice at blue-water rescue--it might help their budgeting as well.

#23 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,582 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 0853 AM

Yeah, Sadly, I think, we're going to have to take a missile or three before we get a clue on this defense of US waters/airspace problem.

What would a 2015 like Nike Zeus infrastructure around the US coast look like today?

PAC-3s in hardstands? SM-2s in fixed positions with SPY-3 directors interspersed? With some 5"/54s for closer in DP functionality and 30mm point defense?

A lot more then upping the budget for the Coasties and having them search every ship out to a thousand miles. Its not really practical to defend against a BGM-109 type weapon in a container, and unfortunately with GPS its depressingly easy to make something in this weapon class now adays. The PRC certainly produces something like this, and I believe even Iran has something in the 100-200 mile range.

#24 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,146 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 0919 AM

Iran doesn't know that the way forward is to send party boats with hot Iranian chicks hosting just outside territorial waters?

IME, you're not going to get hot Iranian chicks further than 10 miles from upscale shopping malls. Most image-concious immigrants I know of in LA, which has 'em all.

#25 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 1453 PM

When in doubt, use Photoshop

#26 Red Ant

Red Ant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 2106 PM

Whoop-dee-doo, probably end up being the only Iranian ship that would survive the war if one ever broke out... :rolleyes:

How do you figure that? I bet it would be the first one to get blown to bits.

#27 Guest_kingfisher552_*

Guest_kingfisher552_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 2116 PM

Latest from the CIA!! Iran has developed an ocean-going stealth inner-tube. Dozens are being deployed to block the Strait of Hormuz, and their atomic powered rubber duckies are already spreading fear up and down the Hudson River!!

#28 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,582 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 2211 PM

How do you figure that? I bet it would be the first one to get blown to bits.

Actually the fifth fleet is within striking range of pretty much any piece of the Iranian navy at any given moment with a lot of different assets. There simply isn't that much Persian Gulf to watch, though there is a fantastic volume of traffic. It wouldn't shock me if the Atlantic actually had a dirth of assets relative to its size that would allow a ship there to last a lot longer, so long as it avoided normal shipping lanes and view of the coast. And turning on any radar or communications source that would finger print it from space.

#29 thekirk

thekirk

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 0248 AM

Actually the fifth fleet is within striking range of pretty much any piece of the Iranian navy at any given moment with a lot of different assets. There simply isn't that much Persian Gulf to watch, though there is a fantastic volume of traffic. It wouldn't shock me if the Atlantic actually had a dirth of assets relative to its size that would allow a ship there to last a lot longer, so long as it avoided normal shipping lanes and view of the coast. And turning on any radar or communications source that would finger print it from space.

I think that if you planned an attack on that basis, and put it into effect, you'd have a few unpleasant surprises coming your way. The Atlantic may look open and undefended, and in the sense that the ships aren't there, that's true. However, it sure as hell isn't unobserved, and anything approaching the seaboard is very much under surveillance. When we were still worried about those "ghost freighters" of Saddam's, I happened to bring this very subject up with one of our Navy augmentees. Turns out he worked that sort of thing in the Navy a few years back, and it's not quite as easy as that "empty" ocean would make it seem. There are long-range assets that track everything moving that comes close enough to US shores to make a difference.

#30 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,582 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 1742 PM

I think that if you planned an attack on that basis, and put it into effect, you'd have a few unpleasant surprises coming your way. The Atlantic may look open and undefended, and in the sense that the ships aren't there, that's true. However, it sure as hell isn't unobserved, and anything approaching the seaboard is very much under surveillance. When we were still worried about those "ghost freighters" of Saddam's, I happened to bring this very subject up with one of our Navy augmentees. Turns out he worked that sort of thing in the Navy a few years back, and it's not quite as easy as that "empty" ocean would make it seem. There are long-range assets that track everything moving that comes close enough to US shores to make a difference.

I was implying it was completely undefended or unobserved, but inside the Persian Gulf the USN has at lease a squadron of P-3's, usually a CVBG, and most likely a sub or two at given time. The planes can pretty much fire on Iranian assets as soon as they get to a reasonable altitude; the subs can launch BGM-109s practically to Tehran and their Mk 48's can pretty much cross the Gulf. If there were a high intensity fight between Iran and the US in the Gulf it would be pretty short indeed IMO, except for some mine sweeping and shore AShM suppression. I'm not saying a ship off the Atlantic seaboard would be safe, I just think it would at least require someone explicitly sending a P-3 out to dispatch it which might take longer.

#31 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 1703 PM

Iran's Navy has the ability to deploy its vessels three miles off the US east coast, a high-ranking Iranian Navy commander was quoted as saying by the Fars news agency. "Our naval forces are so powerful that we have a presence in all the waters of the world and, if needed, we can move to within three miles of New York," Revolutionary Guards Navy Commander Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi was quoted as saying during a speech to students at the University of Yazd earlier this week.

http://www.ynetnews....4221742,00.html

#32 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 1706 PM

Oh yes, those guys know how to frighten infidel America. :ninja:

#33 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,339 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 1917 PM

"Our naval forces are so powerful that we have a presence in all the waters of the world"

They sure weren't in my toilet bowl before I started shitting this morning....

"presence in all the waters of the world" bah!

#34 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 1927 PM

Iran's Navy has the ability to deploy its vessels three miles off the US east coast, a high-ranking Iranian Navy commander was quoted as saying by the Fars news agency. "Our naval forces are so powerful that we have a presence in all the waters of the world and, if needed, we can move to within three miles of New York," Revolutionary Guards Navy Commander Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi was quoted as saying during a speech to students at the University of Yazd earlier this week.

http://www.ynetnews....4221742,00.html

Why exactly three miles? Why not 3.5? Or 4? Or 2?

Oh wait it was just a random number he made up on the spot. Stupid me.

#35 Steven P Allen

Steven P Allen

Tilter at Windmills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 1009 AM

I say, let 'em come. it will be so much easier to deal with the Iranian Republican Guards Army Navy there than it would having to hunt them down in the crannies of the Persian Gulf. . . . Besides, we could sell ringside seat tickets and make a profit on the SinkEx.

#36 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 1450 PM

3 miles? that's so they can surrender and ask for political asylum.

#37 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 1709 PM

Oh wait it was just a random number he made up on the spot. Stupid me.

Probably watching too much Boardwalk Empire or that's based on the maximum effective range of the Iranian cargo-ships' trebuchet-launched EMP warheads.

#38 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 0736 AM

TEHRAN - The commander of the Navy said on Monday that Iranian naval vessels will carry out missions in the Atlantic Ocean in the near future. “The Navy has carried out successful activities (to expand) its presence in open seas, and we will witness the presence of the Navy in the Atlantic Ocean in the near future,” Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari stated.

http://www.tehrantim...an-soon-admiral

#39 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 1608 PM

I hope they attempt a NW passage transit in late September.

#40 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,582 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 1204 PM

I guess as propaganda for internal consumption the idea makes sense. Though they better make sure they can find friendly ports to refuel from ahead of time. Horrifically embarassing if they couldn't make it back, plus the No Atlantic as someone points out isn't the most forging of seas to put a small combatant into...and nothing Iran has counts as more than a frigate. I'd be impressed if they could put a boat there and back without it breaking down, quite honestly.