Wot The F#$%

29 replies to this topic

#21 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 04 November 2017 - 2004 PM

Given the poor decision made by the balance devs to rework armor to fantasy levels at high tiers where gold is almost required it's hard to get upset when in one of my tier 10 heavies (which I'm having to play for this event) and see I'm getting shot at with gold.

When mid tiers, like in my 3002M, it's beyond frustrating to position myself perfectly and continue to get penned only to hit ALT and see the mouthbreather firing at me is loading all gold.  When moments like that happen it basically makes me want to log out for the day.  It definitely reinforces my decision to never give WG any more money.

Edited by Skywalkre, 04 November 2017 - 2004 PM.

#22 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,908 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 1331 PM

I rarely play tier 9-10, I am finding joy in playing my Black Prince and other oddball tanks. You can generally tell within 30 seconds if you are on the winning team or not, just by watching the Minimap.

#23 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 10 November 2017 - 2146 PM

So apparently they screwed up HE in the 2-3 years since I last played.  The high tier Jap monsters basically fire nothing but it and do way too much damage but everyone seems to know to avoid them, kill the rest of the team, and finish them off last.  I figured HE was just a high tier issue...

However, I just had a game in my 3002M where a Pz IV with the 105 (back when I last played someone like that would be spamming gold HEAT) fired nothing but HE at my highly angled and barely showing front.  He tracked me every time and did over 100 damage!  (Keep in mind the 3002M only has like 800 hps.).  WTF?  After six straight shots from him I was dead.  Are you shitting me, WG?  :blink:

#24 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,778 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 2357 PM

2nd example would have worked same way since a WoT started.

#25 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 2033 PM

That still seems excessive.  He was basically doing as much damage from HE splash against my front armor (which is pretty decent for tier 6) as I would with a pen from my AP round.  I don't remember HE being that effective on repeated shots back in the day.

Edited by Skywalkre, 11 November 2017 - 2034 PM.

#26 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 2334 PM

He pays that with lower RoF. I play occasionally M4A3E2 with 105mm howitzer, 75/76mm guns will pull two shots for every one of mine. And HE was always prefered for 105mm howitzers except in very short period when guns kept their previous HEAT penetration (~150mm) but you could get premium ammo for credits. With 102mm penetration... HE is a choice.

#27 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 2103 PM

So there's an event going on where I've been playing my VK 72.01(K) and fortunately haven't run into any of those Japanese monstrosities... til tonight.  Immediately loaded gold rounds and got in two perfect, perpendicular shots on his side hull... and neither penned.  I've never looked at their armor models and I understand I likely got two shitty rolls in a row but come on.  That's beyond broken if even their side armor is that strong that a low roll from a gold round (I carry them only for times like these) still won't pen.  WTF are tier 8s supposed to do if they ever run into these things?!

Arty is still cancer and the new stun mechanic is worse than whatever we had before.  If you have 3 enemy arty and are the only top tier heavy (in a 3/5/7 setup) or a good player and they have XVM expect to be effectively perma-stunned all game (and your health kit works all of once every 90s... give me a break).  What's worse is you can still die from them.  Had a game in my 3002M yesterday where I died to nothing but arty strike after arty strike from 3 enemy clickers while I was rolling a flank.  If they're going to have that stun mechanic they shouldn't do damage at all.

Both of the above just show how a game that could be great still is being helmed by some utter moronic devs.  It's so refreshing to get a game with no arty because you can actually play the fucking game.  Sadly those are rare occurrences.  :angry:

Edited by Skywalkre, 14 November 2017 - 2129 PM.

#28 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 2153 PM

If you fired AP you would have penetrated, Type 4/5 side armor is relatively crappy (I have killed Type 5 with T-44-100 last day), but it works wonders vs HEAT due the being spaced.

#29 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 1418 PM

Used AP on the sides of one of those beasts today from my VK and it penned.  The issue is a player in one of those things can easily swap sides before I can reload to the right ammo for whatever side I'm facing.  Still broken and just ridiculous vehicles to have introduced into the game.

On a different note did the economy get overhauled in the last two years?  I've been playing ok on the VK the last two days but I bleed credits like crazy and I'm not firing gold.  I had a 7k dmg game earlier today, fired nothing but silver rounds, survived and still lost 15k credits.  That just seems broken.  I recall from back in the day if you had a decent game in a tier 10 on a standard account you could make some credits.  It wouldn't be anything special, like 5-10k, but to have a game like I did on the VK mentioned above and still lose credits seems wrong.

Also, Live Oaks is complete garbage.  We're talking AW level of bad maps.  Most of the reworked maps I've played are worse but this one is now so one-sided there's nothing redeemable about it.  South spawn has the advantage on the rail side since they can dive into the ditch sooner and whoever owns that ditch wins the game (obviously with all the mouthbreathers that are playing I've seen some rare north pushes through town win... but they're pretty damn rare).  Of all the times I've played it since coming back I've seen a north side win the rail side and the map just once. 

#30 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 1427 PM

I don't play a lot of tier 10 in random  (benefits of clan), but for today battle with 1k spotted, 3.5k done damage on AMX-13-105 (so "decent, above average, but nothing really special" game) I got 31.8k credits with premium and would have got about 14.6k w/o. I did not fire a single premium round..

Depending on what you run on tanks (big first aid/repair/fire ext.), this can amount for a lot, even single large kit would have set me into - w/o prem (which was just as what was before). I stock on those during discounts and there were recently missions that gave lot of those for relatively easy tasks.

Heavies and TDs earn a bit less that meds and lights for a same damage done since you pay part of income to a whoever was doing spotting.

Edited by bojan, 17 November 2017 - 1428 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users