11 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 1243 PM

Well I had to get a new phone.  So I checked the shekels in the budget, and elected for a Google Pixel 3a.  TTL came out to $423.00 including sales tax.  I ordered the Otterbox case from Google and it should be here RSN.  My HTC is on its last legs.  

#2 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 2026 PM

I'm in the same boat: I was using an iPhone 4S up until Wednesday. When I ran down to Ft. Benning for the open house last weekend, the car's nav didn't have the exact address for the hotel and the building that housed the collection, and when using Waze on my phone the battery was draining even with it plugged in. That's a disheartening feeling when you're on a 9-ish hour drive. :( I was actually kind of proud of still using a phone that was however many generations behind now, but it was a good run I suppose.

#3 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 0151 AM

How about using a "physical" map, instead? Useful skill.

Bought a used Iphone 6S, cheap. Battery on its last legs, and some other problems. Replaced it for €16.50.

YouTube has some good stuff for repairing / maintenance of iPhones!

Now everything works great,

#4 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 0657 AM

Bought a used Iphone 6S, cheap. Battery on its last legs, and some other problems. Replaced it for €16.50.

YouTube has some good stuff for repairing / maintenance of iPhones!

Now everything works great,

Not only iProducts, but most other models of smartphone.

I for one am going to buy a Fairphone after m,y 1+One dies. but I replaced its battery last year, so it is going to last a while.

#5 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,139 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 0857 AM

It's getting harder to find paper maps in my AO. At national and state scale, they are still available. But for the county I live in, the one company that published a decent (though errored) map no longer publishes it. My old copy got rained on, unfortunately.

Plus, in my presbyopia years, reading the ultrafine print is a no-go while driving.

#6 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 1141 AM

It's a skill I don't lack, having done road trips for years before having GPS, but at this point I'm more comfortable hearing directions read to be while traveling through traffic in unfamiliar places (and the trip to Benning necessitated heading through Atlanta traffic) instead of taking eyes off the road and reading a paper. Paper maps also can't route around traffic, construction, etc.

#7 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 1952 PM

That sucker is really slippery, don’t use one without a case!

#8 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 1955 PM

Htc phones have become a real pain to work on in my area, no one will touch them. I thought about a new battery, but there has not Ben a software update for a year, and no security updates either.

#9 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 0126 AM

OK, I agree that electronic devices — whether voice* or visual — are easier to use. But, these devices occasionally fail, and it's good to be able to revert back to Map Reading 101. Study the map before starting to drive, and/or pull over and see where you are / are going. In case of emergency (as a proper male) as for directions. And have the map with you, of course.

I was unaware that in the US localized road maps were scarce. Here in Europe, that is not a problem.

Construction sites and other traffic hindrances on major traffic carriers are broadcast on special radio channels, with recommended detours indicated; at least here in Germany, these channels are sign-posted along the Autobahn.

Although, frankly, sometimes when you have been standing in a  traffic jam, you hear the recommended detour was "x" kilometers behind. :angry:

* But not if it is "Surfer Dude"! :P

#10 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 1313 PM

I am trying to teach the girls to read a map, and not depend on the stupid GPS/Electronics on their phones.  They are amazed at what I can do with a simple piece of paper.

#11 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,139 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 1906 PM

OK, I agree that electronic devices — whether voice* or visual — are easier to use. But, these devices occasionally fail, and it's good to be able to revert back to Map Reading 101. Study the map before starting to drive, and/or pull over and see where you are / are going. In case of emergency (as a proper male) as for directions. And have the map with you, of course.

Even before Map Reading 101, its long since time we fixed math education in this country. I was giving directions to a lady friend, and said something like "Take the offramp on Catfish Road and turn south at the stop sign." She has been living in the area for 7 or 8 years and didn't know which big cities were north or south. Spatial reasoning is almost considered to be as hard as quantum physics.

I was unaware that in the US localized road maps were scarce. Here in Europe, that is not a problem.

It varies enormously by locale, and particularly population density.

#12 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 1309 PM

Hard to do while you drive. You need to stop, get your bearings, get moving. With a Satnav you don't need to worry about getting lost. It will put you on what it thinks is the right course.

Nevertheless, do take a look at the route before. Two satnavs have three different preferred routes.

I usually consult Google Maps first to get a good look at potential choke points the Satnav doesn't get for some reason. And yes, I'm looking at you B64.

Edited by Markus Becker, 05 July 2019 - 1313 PM.