59 replies to this topic

#21 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 0737 AM

Dark side, it is ok, a lot like LInux, but much more polished and it works right (at least on Apple hardware...)  Software selection is really limited compared to Windows or Linux.

#22 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 1517 PM

What kind of software are you having issues finding?

#23 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 0720 AM

Just a general observation so far.  I have Libre Office installed, Civ IV and some other little stuff, acceptable for my needs. 

What kind of software are you having issues finding?

#24 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 2122 PM

Issues and problems with the mac at first.  Random keys would just stop working, and it took pressing option five times after much google-fu to get it to reset.  It is different enough from the Linux box and the Windows machine that it is difficult to get used to.  However I am typing this on the Macbook Pro, I think I need to just get used to the difference.

#25 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 2108 PM

Just crazy battery life.  Lots longer than either my wife's winders machine, or my linux laptop.  I have added Avast and Malware bytes to the system.  Added Skype so I can contact the oldest at college.  Fairly nice to type on, and beautiful screen.  I love the mag-safe connector idea.  I added a usb two button mouse so I can right click when I want to do so.  I need to learn the OS/X unix commands for terminal use.  I think it will become my daily driver.  Any really must have software?

#26 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,297 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 1236 PM

The O'Reilly books are really good. High information. 

http://shop.oreilly....636920045595.do

#27 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 1646 PM

Thanks, ill look at getting some of these.

The O'Reilly books are really good. High information. 

http://shop.oreilly....636920045595.do

#28 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 0208 AM

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro that I use in my classroom instead of the almost-dead 6 year-old crappy Dell I was issued. It gets stuff done, and while there are some features that I prefer over Windows (iMovie and the Apple Office apps are far better than the counterparts Microsoft bundles with their OS), the quirks of OSX drive me batty at times. Why can't I cut and paste files? Seriously! When it comes to file management with my cloud drives (I use OneDrive), I do everything on my Microsoft desktop because moving files into a folder outside of one in the same window can be an absolute pain at times on the MacBook.

#29 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,297 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 0216 AM

You want a duplicate of a file? Click on the file/Folder/Application, Command-D to duplicate it. Drag the copy where you want it. 

#30 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 1103 AM

Thanks, that was driving me crazy as well.  I am really liking this MacBook, but I also really like my little Linux machine as well, both are excellent devices.  The Mac has several things that are nice, to include crazy battery life.  I want to play some games on it, but haven't had the time nor the inclination at this point.  iTunes is very nice, especially the movies.  This will be a nice long road trip computer.  The more I use it, the more I like it.  There are some extremely annoying differences between Mac OS and Winders, but I am "code switching" pretty well for the most part.  I had to get the little linux laptop out and give it some love yesterday since I had not touched it since I got the Mac.  My next purchase will be Microsoft Office at some point in the future. 

I read on the net the the new Macbooks have LOTS of problems, and are not being well received. 

You want a duplicate of a file? Click on the file/Folder/Application, Command-D to duplicate it. Drag the copy where you want it. 

#31 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 1139 AM

The terminal commands are slightly different on the mac than on the Linux machine.  I can no longer "sudo lshw" to get a really awesome hardware view of the everything on the system.  I had to download a mac unix cheat sheet to get things clear.  I like how I can go into terminal and play.  I also am liking Mail, which I was worried about since it got poor reviews for handling Gmail and Yahoo mail.  But it seems to be working great, I have all my email in one location.  

#32 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,297 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 1336 PM

The terminal commands are slightly different on the mac than on the Linux machine.  I can no longer "sudo lshw" to get a really awesome hardware view of the everything on the system.  I had to download a mac unix cheat sheet to get things clear.  I like how I can go into terminal and play.  I also am liking Mail, which I was worried about since it got poor reviews for handling Gmail and Yahoo mail.  But it seems to be working great, I have all my email in one location.  

For that info, go to the Apple Menu, About this Mac. Then click the System Report button on the popup window that shows up. 

For CLI based performance info, try TOP. 

You can also check these out.
http://www.infoworld...ower-users.html

As far as cool stuff goes, do you have any airport express base stations or an AppleTV? Those have a nifty feature allowing you to stream music to them. You can use an additional app called AirFoil to stream audio from other devices. With 2 or 3 Airport Express stations and an AppleTv also hooked to a stereo, you can set a music playlist (or an internet radio stream) to play to multiple sources in the house and the system synchs them close enough for IP packet delay purposes to have music playing through your house. 

I picked up some previous Generation Airport Express basestations a few years ago for 60% of the then current gen units and 'wired' several rooms of my house. 

#33 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 1605 PM

No airport base stations, but I did learn how to iMessage my kids on their iPhones.  I am really enjoying this thing.  Next month I add Microsoft Office so I have that onboard.  I added two movies, and a game, so I can waste even more time.  Thanks for the link.  

For that info, go to the Apple Menu, About this Mac. Then click the System Report button on the popup window that shows up. 

For CLI based performance info, try TOP. 

You can also check these out.
http://www.infoworld...ower-users.html

As far as cool stuff goes, do you have any airport express base stations or an AppleTV? Those have a nifty feature allowing you to stream music to them. You can use an additional app called AirFoil to stream audio from other devices. With 2 or 3 Airport Express stations and an AppleTv also hooked to a stereo, you can set a music playlist (or an internet radio stream) to play to multiple sources in the house and the system synchs them close enough for IP packet delay purposes to have music playing through your house. 

I picked up some previous Generation Airport Express basestations a few years ago for 60% of the then current gen units and 'wired' several rooms of my house. 

#34 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 2046 PM

No, I want to cut and paste; I already know how to duplicate, but I'd rather cut/paste to save the steps. I found some weird workaround and tried it once, but I just now do all my file management on my desktop and piddle about on the Mac.

#35 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 2212 PM

The battery life on this thing is just nuts!  Amazing battery life compared to Windows laptops.  A buddy just got a 2009 Mac Pro with 30" monitor and is going to sell it to me in April, so I will have a Mac Pro with 48 gb of ram, and a 2.66 processor.  He does not like it compared to everything he can do on his windows 6 core system.

#36 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 0137 AM

Regarding mail, I don't know if this has been fixed but earlier (read 2010) if you ran mail from two different versions of MacOS on the same mail account you COULD get issues which was sort of iffy to fix.

Take this as a warning rather than truth, but IIRC that was the closest thing to case resolution we got on that issue, it only happened to mac users and it only happened to mac users with multiple macs that ran different versions of MacOS.

/R

#37 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 0702 AM

Thanks that is good information.  Since it is an older Mac Pro, it can only run 10.11 rather than the newest.  But for the price, I'll finally have that Mac desktop I have always wanted. 

Regarding mail, I don't know if this has been fixed but earlier (read 2010) if you ran mail from two different versions of MacOS on the same mail account you COULD get issues which was sort of iffy to fix.

Take this as a warning rather than truth, but IIRC that was the closest thing to case resolution we got on that issue, it only happened to mac users and it only happened to mac users with multiple macs that ran different versions of MacOS.

/R

#38 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,297 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 1039 AM

No, I want to cut and paste; I already know how to duplicate, but I'd rather cut/paste to save the steps. I found some weird workaround and tried it once, but I just now do all my file management on my desktop and piddle about on the Mac.

Expand by what you mean cut and paste a file. Make a copy in another folder?

#39 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 1636 PM

cut and paste removes it from the first place so a move really?

#40 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,297 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 0110 AM

Moving something is just dragging it to the new loacation, unless its on another volume, then thats a copy.

To create a copy of a file in a different folder, you hold down the option key and then drag. The plus sign indicates that its not a move but a copy.