14589 replies to this topic

#14581 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,601 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 2135 PM

The Mi-17 is a true testament to an amazing design, I suspect my grandkids will still be seeing them flying. Canada operated polish manned Mi-17 for a bit in Afghanistan.

#14582 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,650 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 0350 AM

Baghouz is Gotterdamerung.

For all the Russian-American propaganda wars, the end of the Caliphate seems to have gone unnoticed here so far. :D

Date 23.03.2019

'Islamic State' defeated in Syria: US-backed Syrian forces

US-backed Kurdish forces say they have liberated the last enclave held by "Islamic State" militants in eastern Syria. But Germany's foreign minister warned the world not to celebrate too soon.

The US-allied Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) on Saturday declared victory against the "Islamic State" (IS), saying they had flushed the jihadists from their last remaining stronghold in the eastern Syrian village of Baghouz.

The announcement marks the end of the terror group's self-proclaimed caliphate, which at its height in 2014 covered large swathes of Syria and Iraq.

Victory in Baghouz

SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali announced the victory on Twitter:

• "Baghouz has been liberated. The military victory against Daesh has been accomplished," he said, referring to IS by its acronym in Arabic.  
  • The SDF declares "total elimination" of the so-called caliphate and "100 percent territorial defeat of ISIS."
  • "On this unique day, we commemorate thousands of martyrs whose efforts made the victory possible."

Celebration and caution

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas praised the international anti-IS coalition and "courageous local partners" for defeating the jihadist group, but said IS remained an "underground threat."

Prime Minister Theresa May said IS' defeat marked "a historic milestone."

French President Emmanuel Macron said France was safer, but warned that "the fight against terrorist groups must continue."

US President Donald Trump hailed the end of the IS caliphate, but promised that the US would remain "vigilant" in fighting the group.

[...]

https://www.dw.com/e...rces/a-48036014

#14583 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 17,837 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 24 March 2019 - 1010 AM

For all the Russian-American propaganda wars, the end of the Caliphate seems to have gone unnoticed here so far. :D

It is not "the end" as Caliphate is now flourishing in prisons of Europe and basements of Russia where migrant workers rest after their hard working shifts.

#14584 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,650 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 1104 AM

I used the term "Caliphate" rather than IS quite carefully. I know an idea is much harder to kill than a (de facto) state. Except when it's squeezed out by a newer, cooler idea like al-Qaeda was by the IS, which attracted all the younger selfmade jihadis. ;)

#14585 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:05 PM

I think the question is not going to be "what next?" for militant Islam, but "what will its next spasm be?"

I think if there is one thing modern history has shown, it is that whatever it is, it will likely be next-level violent.

#14586 Mighty_Zuk

Mighty_Zuk

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:18 PM

I think the question is not going to be "what next?" for militant Islam, but "what will its next spasm be?"

I think if there is one thing modern history has shown, it is that whatever it is, it will likely be next-level violent.

I think ISIS and Hezbollah are exactly that evolution. Terror organizations striving for statehood, or state-actor power, and then wage their jihad from that basis. 

Had there been no foreign intervention, ISIS could flourish today, and would split Syria and Iraq into many pieces. And Hezbollah today is already infiltrating into the Lebanese parliament and other gov't institutions, taking over as the nearly official army, and eventually perhaps taking a hold over the entire country.

With the vacuum the US left, I believe Afghanistan could be the next in line for such a transformation, with the Taliban growing in power.

#14587 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 50,640 posts

Posted Today, 03:00 AM

Im kind of hoping that Syria, for all the sheer waste of life it was, might be a turning point. Its hard to be an Arab nationalist when you have 10 years of sectarian war and your entire country destroyed as a result. I noted Nasserism seemingly fell in favour after Yemen.

The real problem is we now have the internet which is a self made petri dish for every kind of nationalist problem around the world. I somehow doubt it will just stop.

#14588 klahtinen

klahtinen

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, military

Posted Today, 03:45 AM

I hope the next jihad generaration doesn't read Rules for Rebels. That's an excellent book by Max Abrams.

#14589 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 17,837 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted Today, 03:45 AM

Im kind of hoping that Syria, for all the sheer waste of life it was, might be a turning point. Its hard to be an Arab nationalist when you have 10 years of sectarian war and your entire country destroyed as a result. I noted Nasserism seemingly fell in favour after Yemen.

Especially if you are Armenian, or Alavit, or Kurd etc. In fact as many non-Arabs left Syria during Civil War (or were killed by enthusiastic pro-democracy head cutters) , percentage of ethnic Arabs is unavoidable to grow, opening gates for more Arab nationalism, not less of it.

Rus MOD confirmed death of three Russian officers in ambush in Deir-ez-Zorr desert.

Tu-214R reconnaissance plane over Syria (undated photo)
6687983_original.jpg

Edited by Roman Alymov, Today, 03:46 AM.

#14590 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,221 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted 53 minutes ago

https://www.washingt...m=.10ca16e6a5a9

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)