244 replies to this topic

#201 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,596 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 0657 AM

Another inkjet photo paper question. Matte or glossy? Is your choice dependent on the particular photo, how you plan to display it, or your particular printer/ink combo?

#202 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 1822 PM

I like matte paper rather than glossy, just for aesthetics. My Epson 2400 can do either matte or glossy, it has glossy black and matte black inksets. Try the MOAB papers, they are magnificent. Kayenta is reasonably priced, and does well. DOn't forget to get the ICC profiles for your printer.
Moab Paper

Another inkjet photo paper question. Matte or glossy? Is your choice dependent on the particular photo, how you plan to display it, or your particular printer/ink combo?

#203 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 2017 PM

SOme new ones:

Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch D2x w/ 70-200mm VR
Posted Image

San Jose D2X w. 28-70mm
Posted Image

San Antonio Highland Games D2X w/ 24-120mm
Posted Image

#204 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,596 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 1315 PM

I got a pack of Kayenta 4x6, but Moab has no profiles for my printer (Canon i860). The paper people are really down on the plain ink-based print technology.

Finally got around to mucking with prints. Have tried Canon Photo Paper Pro (glossy), and Canon Matte Photo Paper, both in 4x6. Oddly, Canon's printer driver has a "superfine" quality setting for the glossy paper, but only a "fine" setting for the matte. Haven't tried the Kayenta yet. I need to buy a loupe to evaluate my print attempts, but I'm also afraid to see all the warts.

But here's an operational question one of you fellers can answer I hope. I picked up a box of Ilford Pearl, 8.5x11 at the local shop (at excruciating expense). I want to try printing a couple of 5x7s, two-up. With the freeware that came with the printer and the Drebel, I don't see an obvious way to print two pics on one sheet in one pass. Can I safely run one sheet thru the printer twice, or will the feed rollers ruin the 1st pic?

#205 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 1348 PM

But here's an operational question one of you fellers can answer I hope. I picked up a box of Ilford Pearl, 8.5x11 at the local shop (at excruciating expense). I want to try printing a couple of 5x7s, two-up. With the freeware that came with the printer and the Drebel, I don't see an obvious way to print two pics on one sheet in one pass. Can I safely run one sheet thru the printer twice, or will the feed rollers ruin the 1st pic?

Try using Photoshop (or the image editor that you use) to set up this print. Create a new canvas that is 8.5x11 and position the pictures on it. This way you only have to print once, and you know your images are correctly aligned.

#206 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 0628 AM

I am using Moab Kayenta and Entrada almost 100% now, I just ordered six more boxes of 8.5x11 from B&H. On the Canon printer, look for an "enhanced paper" setting in the print menu. That should get you some better looking prints. I splurged on an Epson 2400, and don't regret it at all (except when it comes time to buy the ink for it....).

#207 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 0728 AM

I am using Moab Kayenta and Entrada almost 100% now, I just ordered six more boxes of 8.5x11 from B&H.  On the Canon printer, look for an "enhanced paper" setting in the print menu.  That should get you some better looking prints.  I splurged on an Epson 2400, and don't regret it at all (except when it comes time to buy the ink for it....).

Murph, I have an Epson 1800, which is similar to yours. Have you played around with the color settings?

#208 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 0745 AM

I am using Moab Kayenta and Entrada almost 100% now, I just ordered six more boxes of 8.5x11 from B&H.  On the Canon printer, look for an "enhanced paper" setting in the print menu.  That should get you some better looking prints.  I splurged on an Epson 2400, and don't regret it at all (except when it comes time to buy the ink for it....).

On the i860, there's obviously an ability (or an intent, at least) to create custom profiles, but unlike the rest of the stuff from Canon it is not intuitively obvious how to do it.

Sadly, I only have Paint Shop Pro 7 and the various freebie programs. PSP 7 has the ability to print multiple images on a single page, but it has such a crappy UI that there's the risk that resizing the image to print out at 5x7 will inadvertently result in the disk file being overwritten. PSP is the worst COTS software I've ever bought.

Of course, I am probably polishing the proverbial turd. Between the $80 kit lens and the Canon 4-ink system, I am probably hoping for more detail and accuracy than is possible. Though I shamefully admit I have yet to dig out my tripod and take some still lifes to see what my gear can produce.

Murph, are you mounting/framing your shots? Does being behind glass have any impact on paper choice?

#209 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 1950 PM

Very little, I am still getting used to the ICC profiles for the Moab paper.

Murph, I have an Epson 1800, which is similar to yours. Have you played around with the color settings?

#210 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 1953 PM

Just started. I use museum board from Light Impressions (white), so that an 8.5x11" print mats out at 11x14 exterior size. I have a couple mounted, and don't really see a difference, but these are on el cheapo frames mind you.

Spend the $99 for Photoshop Elements 4.0, its worth it and it does 85% of what the full Photoshop CS2 does, and is a more friendly interface.

Now over at the Texas Photo Forum, they are big on the Hahnenmuhl Photo Rag paper ($$$$), and Crane Museo ($$$) papers. Texas Photo Forum The paper thread

Also check out the for sale area, some good deals there.

Murph, are you mounting/framing your shots? Does being behind glass have any impact on paper choice?

#211 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 2037 PM

Try the 70-200mm f/4. Its gotten good praise for a lens.

I lust after the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. But the price is painful.

#212 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 1352 PM

Try the 70-200mm f/4.  Its gotten good praise for a lens.

I have this one, and the immage quality is awesome. The one reason to go for the 2.8 IS is if you really need the extra stop for shooting in low light or sports. The 2.8 is also supposed to be quite heavy and bulky compared with the f/4.

#213 John Nelson

John Nelson

Reactionary and counter-revolutionary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 2349 PM

Took some photos of my flight in the Collings Foundation B-17 earlier today.
They're listed in this thread:

http://63.99.108.76/...&st=0&p=367416

#214 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2006 - 0622 AM

Very nice, very nice indeed.

Took some photos of my flight in the Collings Foundation B-17 earlier today.
They're listed in this thread:

http://63.99.108.76/...&st=0&p=367416

#215 Catalan

Catalan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 1139 AM

Took some pictures of the USS Midway this weekend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Other pictures here.

#216 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,422 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 2120 PM

Activate Thread Necromancy 5000!

*BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!*

Just wanted to share:

Pinatubo lake, taken sometime February 2010:

Posted Image

Mt Batulao summit from Peak 8 campsite:

Posted Image

View from Batulao summit, looking north:

Posted Image

#217 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,422 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 1106 AM

A result of curiosity with my camera's capabilities:

Harbor Square:

Posted Image

Manila waterfront:

Posted Image

I'm glad to know that my camera's panorama feature automatically can take night scene panorama.

#218 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,096 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 1431 PM

After the London visit I decided I have to go into photography. After much web surfing, discovering some nice sites*, then bought a Canon Powershot S90.

Some practice photos:

http://www.cig.canon...p?p=D4gKyJkNaeT
http://www.cig.canon...p?p=EAZQZKWwEnT

* Basically: http://www.kenrockwell.com
That Rockwell is an interesting character.

Edited by sunday, 04 September 2010 - 1434 PM.

#219 Bob B

Bob B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 2149 PM

.....* Basically: http://www.kenrockwell.com
That Rockwell is an interesting character.

That is a very nice link with a lot of good info. Thanks!

:)

#220 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,096 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 1640 PM

That is a very nice link with a lot of good info. Thanks!

:)

You are welcome! :)