• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 0936 AM

Gentlemen, a serious question for a man who knows nothing of cooking. The title says it all. Thank you.

#2 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 1040 AM

Cook it at a lower temperature. On my stove that goes up to 11 (1-10 and Hi) I cook bacon on 6.5 or so. Turn it frequently. I use chopsticks to manipulate it in the pan. Avoids nicking my new pans coatings and allows precise manipulation of the finely cured meats. 

Photo by Oleg. 
Hickory Smoked Peppercorn bacon by Broadbent Farms

Cooked by me.  (pan had been cleaned out and bacon set to dry and then set back in the pan for photos, all rather improvised over breakfast). 

bacon_0945.jpg

Review of said bacon. 
http://cookingandeat...al-hickory.html

#3 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 1044 AM

Oh, don't get it super crispy in the pan unless you like the edges burnt. Cook it to a certain point then set it aside to rest on a plate with paper towels on it. Slightly less cooking and you can leave it nicely flexible and not too dry. 

As Simon says, the fat is flava, so don't cook out all the fat. 

On the REALLY good bacons, set aside your grease and use it for other cooking tasks. I have a plastic container of the Broadbent hams fat drippings sitting in my freezer for future use. 

Pro-tip. Do the same thing with sausage, cook it slower as that allows time for heat to penetrate the meat. Cook you sausages, then throw in slices of Granny Smith apples and sauté them in the fat drippings from the sausages. While the sausages rest on a plate then add the apples to the sausage plate and serve. 

Edited by rmgill, 17 September 2015 - 1045 AM.

#4 Steelspear

Steelspear

Key hiding expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 1750 PM

I add a Little water, keeps the temp down so all the magic starts revving up inside the bacon. When water has cooked off, fry it in the pan until satisfied =)

or...

Cutting the bacon up in small pieces, put in a small non stick pan, add a little water, let the fat cook the bacon until perfection. stir often

#5 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 1757 PM

Another easy way is to bake it in the oven at 350 about 20 min. 

#6 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 2356 PM

The most efficient way by far. Line a large baking sheet with heavy foil. Put a cooling rack into the pan. Stretch out the strips of bacon on the rack. Let them cool on paper towels to soak up grease. If you aren't going to use them all at once, take the cooked strips and lay them out a couple of inches apart on the paper towels, and when they've cooled, roll up the towels and store in the freezer in a plastic bag or wrapped in foil. All you have to do is unroll the strips as needed, and nuke them until hot. You can also harvest the grease for cooking purposes by pouring it from the corner of the pan into the receptacle of choice. Great for frying eggs, refried beans, you name it. 

Plus, no stove-top splatter.

#7 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,213 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 0111 AM

Hey old friend, nice to see you out and about (even in this rough neighborhood!).

About saving bacon grease for future frying, do you strain it through something? In my youth I usta fry up 4-6 strips of bacon, then fry eggs in the hot bacon grease, with excellent results. Now when I do it, the hot bacon grease in the pan has a lot of solids in it that contribute to the eggs sticking to the pan.

#8 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 0634 AM

Cook it at a lower temperature. On my stove that goes up to 11 (1-10 and Hi) I cook bacon on 6.5 or so. Turn it frequently. I use chopsticks to manipulate it in the pan. Avoids nicking my new pans coatings and allows precise manipulation of the finely cured meats. 

Photo by Oleg. 
Hickory Smoked Peppercorn bacon by Broadbent Farms

Cooked by me.  (pan had been cleaned out and bacon set to dry and then set back in the pan for photos, all rather improvised over breakfast). 

bacon_0945.jpg

Review of said bacon. 
http://cookingandeat...al-hickory.html

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the time and effort you put into this wonderfull photo. Need a wider lens for the eggs, toast, orange juice. and of course the mug of strong, black coffee :wub:

#9 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 0704 AM

Success!!!!!! Thank you Paul

#10 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,175 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 0743 AM

High quality cured bacon is cured in salts over time. Low quality bacon is cured by injecting with needles and solutions of salt. The low quality stuff shrinks. I can't recall a lot of solids out of the Broadbents after frying. Other than hunks of pepper corn, but that's more flavor for what its going into. 

The way to tell the quality of the bacon is how much it shrinks when cooking. Less shrinkage, the better the meat curing process. 

#11 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 1647 PM

The way to tell the quality of the bacon is how much it shrinks when cooking. Less shrinkage, the better the meat curing process. 

So that's what George Costanza was trying to explain?

#12 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 1736 PM

Hey old friend, nice to see you out and about (even in this rough neighborhood!).

About saving bacon grease for future frying, do you strain it through something? In my youth I usta fry up 4-6 strips of bacon, then fry eggs in the hot bacon grease, with excellent results. Now when I do it, the hot bacon grease in the pan has a lot of solids in it that contribute to the eggs sticking to the pan.

It's nice to be seen, and the feeling is mutual.

Sometimes my wife strains it through a couple of layers of cheesecloth, but the grease has to be hot and you have to do it quickly. A fine-mesh strainer screen can work too, as can a coffee filter, but my wife says cheesecloth is best.

#13 T19

T19

Love Life, hate Taxes

• Admin
  • 35,579 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 1749 PM

Hell no, I like it crispy...ummmm  remove from pan, place on paper towel to absorb - its the quicker picker upper :D

#14 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 0558 AM

Microwave it in paper towel.  S/F....Ken M

#15 shootER5

shootER5

Beer drinker, hell raiser.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 1532 PM

4May13f_zps24f98eb4.jpg

#16 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 1027 AM

I cut it in half.  Cook on Medium to medium low heat.  Press down with spatula but watch the bacon it will overcook quickly.  The smaller pieces get really nice and crispy.

#17 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 1831 PM

Cast iron skillet.  The older the better.  cook it slowly and turn it a lot.  Better bacon is better, it's harder to get good results from the cheap stuff

#18 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 1726 PM

Bake on a cookie sheet with foil. Cover it with parchment paper. 

Let grease cool and bits that you don't want will settle. 

#19 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,970 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 2351 PM

c399_tactical_canned_bacon.jpg

#20 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 2250 PM

I've had that. Its good on cold rainy days in the field.