Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 2038 PM

I was looking at old Bedford RLs online when I came across this one:

http://www.shoplandc...edford-rl-troop

So I googled the unit it belonged to and came up with these videos.

Clevedon ACF are still resident at the Drill Hall

https://tinyurl.com/y2nxgd56

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,265 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 0252 AM

Thanks Chris, very interesting indeed.

#3 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,228 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 0314 AM

Rowing? Rowing?  I thought that this was Army not the bloody Navy!!

#4 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 0843 AM

Thanks Chris, very interesting indeed.

Presumably the RL replaced one of the GS bodied Comma Q4 that you see in the videos. By the time I was starting to take notice 1976/7 Q4s were very rare in 19 Inf. Bde. / 7 Field Force at Colchester. I remember two. One had an airfield control body painted a chequerboard pattern and was parked at the edge of the now long defunct airfield. The other had a workshop body and was a few hundred yards away at the Ordnance Field Park at Kirkee McMinn Barracks. Q4s seem to be popular with new age travellers to this day and I suspect we can thank them for many preserved examples still in existence.

#5 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,265 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 0858 AM

The lorry has a Wessex Wyvern on it, I forget which brigade that is, but its the same badge that was on my father's Austin Champ when he got it IIRC.

There was an episode of 'Special Branch' on the forces channel and the Bomb Squad all turn up in a Bedford RL. I thought they were gone by the mid 70's, but turns out they were making them as late as 1968.

Good films, im half expecting to see my late father on the first one, he would have loved it.

#6 Hellfish6

Hellfish6

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 0611 AM

What is the jeep-thing at 2:53 in first video...? Looks like a Mighty Mite, but it isn't.

Edited by Hellfish6, 03 March 2019 - 0612 AM.

#7 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,265 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 0847 AM

Oh gawd, dont get me started on those, Ill will be forced to give you chapter and verse now. :D

Its an Austin Champ, what was envisaged as a family of vehicles that could fulfill various roles, much in the same way the Hummer later did for the US Army, though in the event only the version shown was ever built (they did have them FFR though). It was reasonably successful, there was reputedly a weakness with the rear axle, but most people seemed to love them, and they did seem to function adequately in Korea and Suez. Their downfall, such as it was, was that they were expensive. They were rather more expensive than the Land Rover, so the army finshed the contract and bought those in future. They were also prone to bogging in sand apparently, being a wee bit heavy, or so ive just read.

The reason why I know all this is my father. He learned to drive in the territorial army, specifically the Gloucestershire Hussars, and they had Champs as their vehicle. He loved them, so much so that in about 1979 or so he bought one. Ive still got it in the garage, largely unrestored but I keep telling myself, one day. If I can get it out the garage which is no particularly easy task.

https://web.archive....ery/History.htm