• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,446 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up, scale modelling, wargaming.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 0526 AM

I haven't actually watched the video yet. The poor video team have been slammed the last month putting a series of videos together, and the fall of France video was recorded the day before I went on vacation, so I got no input on the final product (Though I did scan and email some maps to them if they wanted to come up with graphics based on them). However, I do suspect they would have done a shortcut anyway, they are a little understaffed

#22 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,933 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 18 July 2017 - 0832 AM

Sometimes, graphics can be overdone and become a distraction.  You did well, Nick; I like the style.

#23 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,446 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up, scale modelling, wargaming.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 1750 PM

The aforementioned James Holland interview. Well, most of it. https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8JcCrQ18-6c

#24 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 0653 AM

Good lecture, manic. :)

Though it comes across as an audio odcast with a talking head attached. ;)

Sometimes, graphics can be overdone and become a distraction.  You did well, Nick; I like the style.

While true (I think we have all endured through bad power point slides) a few maps would have helped imho. But as manic said above, when the staff has to take a shortcuts to get the work done and the video released on time...

Edited by Panzermann, 19 July 2017 - 0654 AM.

#25 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 0654 AM

One thing got my attention. More than once he remarked that dive bombers aren’t good at hitting small and moving targets. ??? Japanese, American but also Italian and German DB pilots routinely did hit such targets. So why didn’t German DB pilots in 1940?

My money is on: They were not trained for attacks on ships at that time. So they used the regular tactics plus whatever their gut feeling told them. The fate of some of the sunk destroyers hints this could have been the case. Wiki(!) says one DD was sunk inside the port, one had just left and two were sunk right off the coast. The former was a sitting duck, the second wasn’t probably going full speed and the last two might have had limited room to manoeuvre.

Just a WAG but a year later at Crete Ju88, Me109 fighter bombers and Ju87 sunk several warship on the high seas. 

#26 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 0715 AM

You are correct about the Luftwaffe's lack of anti-shipping training at the time. IIRC they also didn't have any AP bombs that would have been able to deal with British battleships in the English Channel, had it come to that.

#27 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 1332 PM

Speaking off: Didn't one of the R's actually shell a French Channel port full of barges sometime during the BoB?

#28 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 1644 PM

Speaking off: Didn't one of the R's actually shell a French Channel port full of barges sometime during the BoB?

Yep, HMS Revenge.

https://en.wikipedia...MS_Revenge_(06)

She spent the summer of 1940 based at Plymouth. Had the Germans invaded, her job would have been to sail up the English Channel and cause as much mayhem as she possibly could.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users