30 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 2028 PM

Its time to build a new system for the Murph, and I am looking at also updating Lupe's computer as well.

AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor -
ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
8x gb of ram
150 gb Raptor primary drive
2x 1 terabyte RAID 1 secondary drives (WD Green drives)
XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case w/ 550 watt power supply

Basically I don't do heavy gaming anymore, but I do use my comp for Adobe Photoshop. I'll be using XP Pro until such time as Windows 7 comes out, so I know I have too much RAM, but I refuse to use Vista.

Edited by Murph, 17 January 2009 - 2029 PM.

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 17 January 2009 - 2328 PM

So you should go with XP x64.

#3 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 1249 PM

I know you like AMD, but you should check the specs of the Intel chips.

Vista x64 is very stable for me. Compare the price of that vs. the preliminary prices for Windows 7.

#4 JamesR

JamesR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Military hardware, Shooting, Reloading, Computers, Astronomy

Posted 18 January 2009 - 1858 PM

Looks like a nice setup Murph.

I am also in the midst of a computer upgrade/build.

I have been keeping an eye on the frys combo deals but each time I go there they are sold out of one of the components. I finally got tired of waiting. Since I was never too crazy about the micro-atx boards they were throwing in the cheap bundles I decided to just buy the cpu and pick out a nicer motherboard.

I picked out an Intel e5200 and ordered 4 gigs of ram from newegg. The case, hdd, dvd burner, and video card are coming from older systems. All I need is a motherboard. I am currently looking at this one:

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128347

Eventually I will upgrade the video card but I'll need my ati x850 to soldier on for just a couple more months.

This system will serve as a light gaming rig and general purpose workstation. I am planning to use windows7 beta on this one.

#5 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,731 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 2245 PM

I'll do so.

I know you like AMD, but you should check the specs of the Intel chips.

Vista x64 is very stable for me. Compare the price of that vs. the preliminary prices for Windows 7.

#6 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 0234 AM

Mac Pro, Murph. You know you want one. Dual quad core workstation processors... 8GB of memory, with room for a whole lot more... Simply the most beautiful and powerful system you can own. Isn't it time?

#7 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 1405 PM

Mac Pro, Murph. You know you want one. Dual quad core workstation processors... 8GB of memory, with room for a whole lot more... Simply the most beautiful and powerful system you can own. Isn't it time?

Or you could get a system that doesn't live off of hype. Your call. :P

#8 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 1416 PM

Aww, Mike... You're always so quick to comment on things beyond your level of experience.

Or has your Mac Pro somehow disappointed you?

#9 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 1704 PM

Aww, Mike... You're always so quick to comment on things beyond your level of experience.

You don't know my level of experience. And I'd say that the mac is hyped by its supporters, quite possibly beyond its capabilities. :P

#10 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 1729 PM

LOL! We've been here before. You simply won't be straight about your level of experience, because that would undermine any credibility you pretend to have. You can't detail it because that would make you appear ignorant and full of it, and you're intentionally vague because you don't want to get caught in a lie again.

Let's just say that you don't know what you're missing. I'm pretty sure we can agree to that, and if you can't... well, you do manage to make your lack of experience pretty clear. You dislike the price, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most people choose to forgo premium products for that reason. I do recall you thinking of picking up an iBook several years ago. I can understand your position, because I'm pretty frugal about some things. I like a good deal, and I really enjoy the satisfaction that paying far under retail brings me. At the same time, I spend obscene amounts on some things.

Computers are one place where I'll spend a bit more than I have to. Much of my time is spent on them, and I want the best experience I can possibly get. I buy my own system for work, because I don't care to use what they could afford to give me. I use high-end gear at home and I support low-end gear at work. The difference in the experience has enough value to me to make up for the price difference. Perhaps someday you'll have the first-hand experience to weigh such a decision, but now isn't that day. :D

#11 medicjim86

medicjim86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Interests:emergency services

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2034 PM

Got one? Wifey needs to replace her dual processor G4 (mirror bays)...no real options besides the pro now for what she does

it's gonna take some saving this time

#12 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2047 PM

There should be new models out soon, which always creates a buying opportunity. Is she in any sort of schooling? If so, a $100 membership to Apple's student developer program can create significant savings on a Mac Pro. I got a great deal on mine that way. With some very nice upgrades I got mine for under $2,500.

#13 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2053 PM

LOL! We've been here before. You simply won't be straight about your level of experience, because that would undermine any credibility you pretend to have. You can't detail it because that would make you appear ignorant and full of it, and you're intentionally vague because you don't want to get caught in a lie again.

Says you. I've been here before, and you are apparently no smarter now than you were then. It wasnt fun then an it isnt now. You ask me just what exactly? I am a Mac fan, that would be no. Try asking a real question and I'll try and answer it, ok spud?

Let's just say that you don't know what you're missing. I'm pretty sure we can agree to that, and if you can't... well, you do manage to make your lack of experience pretty clear. You dislike the price, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most people choose to forgo premium products for that reason. I do recall you thinking of picking up an iBook several years ago. I can understand your position, because I'm pretty frugal about some things. I like a good deal, and I really enjoy the satisfaction that paying far under retail brings me. At the same time, I spend obscene amounts on some things.

Sounds like a personal problem. I dont spend any more on things than I have to, you may, but I value my $$

Computers are one place where I'll spend a bit more than I have to. Much of my time is spent on them, and I want the best experience I can possibly get. I buy my own system for work, because I don't care to use what they could afford to give me. I use high-end gear at home and I support low-end gear at work. The difference in the experience has enough value to me to make up for the price difference. Perhaps someday you'll have the first-hand experience to weigh such a decision, but now isn't that day. :D

I run my own network and thats fine for me. If you want to delude your self, have at it.

Edited by Mike Steele, 19 January 2009 - 2101 PM.

#14 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2101 PM

Ah, Mike. You run your own network? That's great. I'm sure it's very relevant to the discussion you've started and backpedalled from. Isn't it fun to snipe from the sides? Pithy comments are enjoyable.

I've asked you a question here, but you didn't answer it. What's new? I'm not going to ask you question after question so that you can feel you're getting the attention you desire. You've either owned a Mac, or you haven't. We both know you haven't. Hell, I'd be surprised if you've even turned one on in the last year. Have you? Do you have any relevant experience, or are you just here for the company?

#15 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2104 PM

Ah, Mike. You run your own network? That's great. I'm sure it's very relevant to the discussion you've started and backpedalled from. Isn't it fun to snipe from the sides? Pithy comments are enjoyable.

I've asked you a question here, but you didn't answer it. What's new? I'm not going to ask you question after question so that you can feel you're getting the attention you desire. You've either owned a Mac, or you haven't. We both know you haven't. Hell, I'd be surprised if you've even turned one on in the last year. Have you? Do you have any relevant experience, or are you just here for the company?

Which question? Or is being obtuse a Mac undocumented feature?

#16 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2109 PM

Which question? Or is being obtuse a Mac undocumented feature?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is that. Why even post, Mike? Seriously. Why? Can you just not control yourself? Do you really not know that questions end with question marks, or do you just play stupid in order to avoid admitting your inexperience? Do you have anything worth saying here?

#17 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2115 PM

Other than being wildly overpriced? (happy now )

#18 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2117 PM

Other than being wildly overpriced? (happy now )

How much did you pay for it?

#19 capt_starlight

capt_starlight

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Interests:Military History and seeing all people get a fair go.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2117 PM

I am currently looking at this one:

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128347

Nice board. I have used it for a few weeks in my newer system.

#20 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2146 PM

JamesR, are you looking at places like Tom's Hardware to get good review info? Newegg reviews can be helpful (I decided not to buy a Seagate 750GB drive today after following up on quite a few nasty reviews on the Egg), but their reviews can be biased. Make sure you note whether or not the person reviewing has actually bought one of the items form Newegg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users