30 replies to this topic

#21 DesertFox

DesertFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,489 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Role Playing Games, Science Fiction

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2221 PM

JamesR, are you looking at places like Tom's Hardware to get good review info? Newegg reviews can be helpful (I decided not to buy a Seagate 750GB drive today after following up on quite a few nasty reviews on the Egg), but their reviews can be biased. Make sure you note whether or not the person reviewing has actually bought one of the items form Newegg.

Sometimes you also get idiots making the reviews even when they claim to be knowledgeable.
For example, the SATA hard drive enclosure I bought had some complaints but I have had no problems with the one I bought last month from them and it saved my butt as far as losing files.

#22 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2229 PM

It can be really tough to judge Newegg reviews. When I need some thoughts on things I buy from them I tend to look elsewhere. Computer forums are usually good for that, but it's much more work to sort out the opinions. Newegg has tried to create a somewhat authoritative source for opinions, but it seems that too many people are too eager to contribute.

I'd really like to find a source that was more like Amazon's reviews for consumer items. I've found those to be really useful.

#23 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 2229 PM

Sometimes you also get idiots making the reviews even when they claim to be knowledgeable.
For example, the SATA hard drive enclosure I bought had some complaints but I have had no problems with the one I bought last month from them and it saved my butt as far as losing files.

True.

#24 JamesR

JamesR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Military hardware, Shooting, Reloading, Computers, Astronomy

Posted 20 January 2009 - 0133 AM

JamesR, are you looking at places like Tom's Hardware to get good review info? Newegg reviews can be helpful (I decided not to buy a Seagate 750GB drive today after following up on quite a few nasty reviews on the Egg), but their reviews can be biased. Make sure you note whether or not the person reviewing has actually bought one of the items form Newegg.

Most defiantly. User feedback reviews such as the ones used at newegg are always taken with a grain of salt but as you mentioned they are very good for spotting trends. Speaking of Seagate, here is a little story on their recent problems:

http://www.anandtech...post.aspx?i=540

Reminds me of the Maxtor calypso debacle. Whats sad is you know there are a handful of servers and NAS/baby SAN boxes out there loaded up with these.

Nice board. I have used it for a few weeks in my newer system.

Good to hear. Solid reviews on this board and its p43 chipset have been few and far between. Most reviews are on the boards using the P35 or P45 chipsets. Sounds like the chipset is a slightly castrated version of the p45.

For the video card I am leaning on one based on the ATI HD4830 chip. There are several examples that are running right at $100 which is my limit.

#25 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 2006 PM

Just got my new computer built. IT IS THE FASTEST COMPUTER I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!

AMD 810 Quad Core processor
4 gb of DDR3 ram
74gb 10,000 rpm raptor
9800GT w/ 1 gb DDR3 video card
2 x 1 TB drives in RAID 1

THIS THING SCREAMS! It boots so darn fast I can barely get into BIOS! It is stunning running XP Pro.

#26 Sandstig

Sandstig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 0526 AM

Nice rig you've got there. What was the price diff between the 9800GT and the GTS 250 (rebadged 9800GTX+) at the time of your purchase? Just curious since they seem to have been hovering at almost exactly the same price over here lately.

#27 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 03 May 2009 - 0724 AM

Hey Ed, how much would Murph's rig cost if the same components are available over here? :D (even though my PC money will go to Operation Mad Cliffs instead)

#28 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 0848 AM

ABout $100 difference. and this is a card with 1 gb DDR3 ram, Photoshop CS4 just screams on this thing.

Nice rig you've got there. What was the price diff between the 9800GT and the GTS 250 (rebadged 9800GTX+) at the time of your purchase? Just curious since they seem to have been hovering at almost exactly the same price over here lately.

#29 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 03 May 2009 - 1116 AM

Nice to see the Mac debates continue... <_<

Say, what is the advantage of a quad core processor over a dual with higher clock speed?

How many apps these days can take advantage of multi cores?

#30 5150

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 1252 PM

Nice to see the Mac debates continue... <_<

Reading the dates on a resurrected thread may help you.

Say, what is the advantage of a quad core processor over a dual with higher clock speed?

How many apps these days can take advantage of multi cores?

It depends on how you use the system. It's not about how many apps can use multiple cores, it's if the apps that you use can. Several of my video processing apps will use anything available to them. It's nice to see all eight cores chugging away. It's also a function of how many programs a person runs at once. For a person who wants to run one single-threaded app and nothing else, a single core CPU with a higher clock speed will be a better fit, all else being equal. For a person who wants to run more than one program at a time or programs that are multi-threaded, more cores are awfully nice to have.

#31 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 0626 AM

Supremely stable, XP Pro never ran better, and games definately play faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users