• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#221 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 1740 PM

Current project is getting Open Media Vault running on my Raspberry Pi 3. Have it loaded on a 16 gb SD Card, project part will be transferring all my media, 6 Tb or so, from scattered drives onto an 8 Tb USB drive attached to the Pi. Then to get everything organized for Plex. My Roku, FireTV and smart tv all have plex apps, so i will be able to stream to any of them.

I was planning on doing the same thing by building a FreeNAS, but the simple OMV on Pi was a lot cheaper. Just found out a few hours ago that I need to spend $2800 or so on a replacement Air Conditioner, my 15 yr old AC is about $700-$800 (correction $500-600, $60/oz * 74 ounces to fill it) for refrigerant after spending $700 on it last year for the same thing. They put in some sort of stop leak last year, but it obviously didn't work. Been sleeping downstairs with a fan this week since its about 95 deg in my bedroom at night. Got a loaner portable from the AC company today to make sleep easier while waiting for the new one. So hot in my den upstairs that my old I7/2700k gaming PC shuts down if I play any games, and I shut down if I try and stay in there to play.

Once that's taken care of financially I'll worry about upgrading the Samsung with Linux.

Edited by GregShaw, 19 July 2019 - 1757 PM.

#222 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 0900 AM

I am now running Mint 19.2 and it seems "prettier" than the other versions.  Also is there any problem if I start using the 5.0 series Kernel?  Or should I just stick with the 4.15 LTS?

#223 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 0802 AM

So far Kernel 5.0 seems to have no issues.

#224 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 0604 AM

I had to reload windows on the wife's machine in order to get the BIOS updated, and I might have to do the same on my main linux laptop (HP Spectre x360 13.3), is there any way to BIOS update under Linux (using HP laptop BIOS)?

#225 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,146 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 0623 AM

Perhaps the easiest way might be:

1. download a WinPE bootable ISO,
  2. mount it and copy the BIOS updater onto it,
  3. unmount and burn to a thumb drive,
  4. boot from the thumb drive, run the updater.

#226 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 1333 PM

On my Slackware systems I've used the "flashrom" utility to upgrade my BIOS.

https://flashrom.org/Flashrom

These Arch instructions look much like how I used it under Slackware:
https://wiki.archlin..._Linux#Flashrom

I'd expect the process to be similar, if not identical, under Mint.

That Arch how-to page warns against using flashrom on laptops, but I've never had a problem with it on my Lenovo Thinkpads (T500, T510, T530). Up to you if you want to risk it.

#227 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 1406 PM

I think I will try the bootable Windows PE just to see if it would work.  

#228 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,443 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 0519 AM

I had to reload windows on the wife's machine in order to get the BIOS updated, and I might have to do the same on my main linux laptop (HP Spectre x360 13.3), is there any way to BIOS update under Linux (using HP laptop BIOS)?

Often you can stick in a USB drive with a small flashprogram in and just reboot. It then updates the UEFI (BIOS is long dead, but everybody still calls it BIOS ;)) automagically. should be found on the support pages of the vendor. This has been the case for at least ten years now. Some UEFIs even have an IP stack of their own and can update themselves with an internet connection.  But there are always exceptions of course how they cook their own UEFI versions. 

So I switcehd to the 5 series kernel on my MINT 19 computer as well and it certainly feels totally different now! :D No, not really. The only noticeable difference is that it does not throw a weird CMOS error after more than a week of utime with regular sleeping inbetween. Sometimes it forgot that there are drives connected to the SATA ports. Which was really weird. So far no problems. But I haven't used any of the new 5 kernel features like the Streebog algorithm of the GOST krypto collection.

Edited by Panzermann, 18 September 2019 - 0520 AM.

#229 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 1039 AM

NO joy.  So I will re-install Windows and update the BIOS and then re-install Linux.