Tower this is Ghostrider, requesting a flyby

5 replies to this topic

#1 Anixtu

Anixtu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 2032 PM

And the callsign wasn't Ghostrider but I've forgotten what it was and probably shouldn't remember even if I could.

There we were, minding our own business conducting a counter-narcotics patrol somewhere in the Caribbean when we were called on an HF air frequency by an E-2 requesting a flyby. How polite! The RAF by contrast don't usually bother with manners, they just come screaming in fast and low to let you know they are there.

They gave us plenty of time to set up cameras but my one snatched pic was rather shoddy, nevertheless reproduced here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not quite at wavetop height but they were noticeably below bridge level.

Edited by Anixtu, 04 December 2008 - 2035 PM.

#2 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,357 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 2054 PM

E-2, lovely plane, one of my favourites. Thanks! :)

#3 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,224 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 0150 AM

Gotta love flyby's.

I'll never forget standing in Urqhart castle on loch ness on a cold but otherwise beautiful morning looking over the loch and a Tornado coming screamin down the great glenn not much higher than me! :)

#4 ta192

ta192

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 0146 AM

I was at a scenic overlook in the hills north of Atlanta about 10-12 years ago with my wife and another couple, enjoying a really nice view when there was a great deal of howling noise followed by a B-1 coming from below our sight line to overfly us by a few hundred feet and wizz out of sight behind us. I was whooping and hollering, looked around and noticed that none of the other three had enjoyed it quite as much as I, nor had another couple stopped at the same overlook, who jumped in their vehicle and clear out post haste. Might be the neatest thing that ever happened to me...

#5 Argus

Argus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 0506 AM

1/ Standing on the corner of Ferguson St and Nelson Place Williamstown, C-130, H model I think, flew right down the street and out across the bay at about 500' low enough to smell the exhaust and for a kid with coke bottle glasses to see panel lines.

2/ A few years later, I would have been about 19, we got buzzed by a Caribou driving though the back blocks, he circled twice, we flicked the headlights, he waggled the wings and down he came head on.

Talk about making an impression, I still get a tingle when ever I drive that road, near enough to 3749'6.61"S, 14444'57.68"E for the curious :)

shane

#6 GK Dundas

GK Dundas

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 1953 PM

1/ Standing on the corner of Ferguson St and Nelson Place Williamstown, C-130, H model I think, flew right down the street and out across the bay at about 500' low enough to smell the exhaust and for a kid with coke bottle glasses to see panel lines.

2/ A few years later, I would have been about 19, we got buzzed by a Caribou driving though the back blocks, he circled twice, we flicked the headlights, he waggled the wings and down he came head on.

Talk about making an impression, I still get a tingle when ever I drive that road, near enough to 3749'6.61"S, 14444'57.68"E for the curious :)

shane

Summer of 1971 My Dad took me to BC ,My Mom has passed away earlier in the spring and we were there to basically get as far as we could from the house and all those memories . we were at long sandy wild beach near Comox (It's all but paved over now stupid basterds!) were hunting for crabs ,clams adn whatever was edible that day when low over the ocean came two CF 101 voodoos at about 30 to 50 ft above the waves going like bats out of hell! The buzzed us twice more before heading back out sea.
I will alway remember that day.

Reply to this topic