• Please log in to reply
7761 replies to this topic

#7761 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted Today, 01:42 AM

The clown has spoken again, and the local Pavlovian dogs respond with the usual bark. :D

US threatens to withdraw troops from Germany
2 hours agoThe US says it might pull out some troops from Germany amid rifts over a naval mission in the Persian Gulf and defense spending. The remarks from the US ambassador come ahead of two presidential trips to Europe.
The United States is considering withdrawing some of the US troops stationed in Germany, with Poland mooted as a possible new deployment, the US ambassador to Germany has said.
The threat of withdrawal comes amid ongoing differences between Berlin and Washington over Germany's contribution to NATO and a current spat caused by the German refusal to take part in a US-led naval mission in the Persian Gulf.
"It is actually offensive to assume that the US taxpayer must continue to pay to have 50,000-plus Americans in Germany, but the Germans get to spend their surplus on domestic programs," US Ambassador Richard Grenell told the DPA news agency, in comments carried widely by German media on Friday.
His remarks come after the US ambassador to Poland, Georgette Mosbacher, tweeted that her country would be happy for the American troops in Germany to move there instead.
US President Donald Trump had also mentioned the possibility of moving some American troops from Germany to Poland in talks with Polish President Andrzej Duda in Washington in June, something that was also mentioned by Grenell.
"President Trump is right and Georgette Mosbacher is right, " he said, saying that requests by "numerous presidents" for Germany to "pay for its own defense" had been ignored. Now was the time for Americans and the US president had to react, he said.
[...]

https://www.dw.com/e...many/a-49959555
I've said it before - something like relocating 2nd Cavalry Regiment to Poland would actually make military and political sense if you presumed that the NATO-Russia Founding Act has been invalided by Russian action, and probably affordable by Poland if they are supposed to pay for it. The same is not true for the huge logistics and C4ISR infrastructure and its sunk cost, which benefits global US interests at least as much as German security. You could do it of course, but it would be a multi-term process with exceedingly high cost I don't see any single or combination of allies willing to pay.
I'm also not sure for which "our country" the US ambassador to Poland speaks. ;)

That’s a reasonable argument when negotiating basing cost compensation. As a reason for US to continue to provide Germany with defense guarantees it lacks certain .... moral suasion. I am afraid we are nearing a point where bipartisan consensus will be for US to de facto (if not de jure) withdraw militarily from Europe.

#7762 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,420 posts

Posted Today, 02:08 AM

Its interesting to note how little there is coming out of Russia on the armed forces these days. There has been no posts on Russian Defence.net for months about new units being formed or reequipped. There are still the odd flyby of Alaska and Europe, there was the shooting incident off South Korea, but apart from that, nothing.  Im not sure why this is, but I doubt its because they have lost interest in reforming Divisions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users