347 replies to this topic

#1 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,578 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0114 AM

So a Judge who was held in contempt of court twice by the SCOTUS (because he believed the bible overrides any US law) won the primarily in Alabama, and now has four women accusing him of sexual misconduct.

I'm not sure where to begin unpacking that. But we can skip getting into the nature of the man himself and get down to the fact that this turn of events might put a GOP senate seat at risk...and that is putting it a little mildly.

A lot of the local populace considers this a plot to discredit him, and I've no idea since all of this is 24-48 hours old (though to me the guy was an asshole and already discredited, fair disclosure). So it is not clear that the special election goes differently than originally expected. But I'm curious as to the thoughts the site has concerning him and generally elect ability - that is to say, it seems had the other primary candidate won, it would be a pretty clear slam dunk, where as the Banon War™ seems to be pushing more fridge candidates with less vetting to the fore (its early and this is just my impression).

Thoughts?

#2 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0205 AM

At this point, it's hard to say if these complaints are legit or politically motivated.

#3 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0213 AM

[posting in my apparently apostrophe-challenged state] I would honestly be surprised if it changes much re the election. Its not like Virginia (the impact of which I think was pretty overblown; Va is increasingly white-collar and non-Caucasian, both of which tend anti-Trump, so its not surprising that a candidate who tries Trump-style moves wouldnt win).

Like you implied, Moore has already done a lot of questionable stuff, and that doesnt seem to have cost him much. I just cant see Alabama going Democrat unless the black population turns out in huge numbers or something (unlikely, and the recent allegations probably wont change that).

What would be a total [email protected] is if the Washington Posts story turns out to actually be Fake News™. Which would destroy the paper, but (I know Im the minority opinion here) their coverage of these types of scandals tends to be pretty tight, and Id assume that they have all their ducks in a row given the stakes. Their editor in chief is Marty Barron of Spotlight fame, he is about as good as it gets with this stuff.

Uh, long rant, my prediction = Alabama elects a senator who used to make the moves on young teens.

#4 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0224 AM

If these allegations can be proved, then they should have to deal with having a convicted sex offender as Senator or Senatorial candidate.

I hope they're properly investigated.

#5 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0537 AM

So a Judge who was held in contempt of court twice by the SCOTUS (because he believed the bible overrides any US law) won the primarily in Alabama, and now has four women accusing him of sexual misconduct.

I'm not sure where to begin unpacking that. But we can skip getting into the nature of the man himself and get down to the fact that this turn of events might put a GOP senate seat at risk...and that is putting it a little mildly.

A lot of the local populace considers this a plot to discredit him, and I've no idea since all of this is 24-48 hours old (though to me the guy was an asshole and already discredited, fair disclosure). So it is not clear that the special election goes differently than originally expected. But I'm curious as to the thoughts the site has concerning him and generally elect ability - that is to say, it seems had the other primary candidate won, it would be a pretty clear slam dunk, where as the Banon War™ seems to be pushing more fridge candidates with less vetting to the fore (its early and this is just my impression).

Thoughts?

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I respectfully believe you are almost 100% wrong. The correct part is "A lot of the local populace considers this a plot to discredit him..." 

I firmly believe the good people of Alabama will show the Washington Compost's totally fabricated lies the finger and elect Judge Moore. Further more, Judge Moore should be nominated AND voted on as the next justice on the U.S. Supreme Court!

#6 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0555 AM

If these allegations can be proved, then they should have to deal with having a convicted sex offender as Senator or Senatorial candidate.

I hope they're properly investigated.

I have a problem with allegations alone destroying people. Now, if those allegations are proven true, that's a completely different matter.

#7 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0629 AM

Innocent until proven guilty.

He's guilty of being proven to not respect law and constitution. That's disqualifying in itself - the primary voters fucked up.

#8 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,904 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0817 AM

FusionGPS is involved...

#9 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,927 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0831 AM

How sad has the 4th estate gotten that the first reaction to a story like this is "IF it is true"

"IF"

"IF"

In a healthy society, such things don't get reported without serious substantiation. Yes, the press doesn't reach the same level as a court of law, but still....

In a healthy society the first response to such a press report should be more along the lines of "how despicable" 

But our press has abandoned any pretext of being anything other than the mouthpiece of one party; so the first response among too many people is "IF this is true"

"IF"

#10 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0923 AM

As we it should be, not because the Post is biased, but because accusations are not proof. I'm willing to assume the Post thinks the claims are credible, but there's also reason for false claims to be made and any reado able person should ask why it's tanote these accusations are almost forty years old and so far, we've heard of nothing more recent. Sexual predators do not retire at 32.

This needs checking first before we condemn him.

#11 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,990 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0943 AM

The post HAD credible claims of sexual harassment for Weinstein for how many years? They say on them. There were police reports and everything for Weinstein. 

I would like to see testimony under oath as part of depositions. 

Edited by rmgill, 10 November 2017 - 0944 AM.

#12 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,263 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1248 PM

I'm sure they'd say that the Weinstein story had made them re-evaluate how they covered allegations of sexual harassment. While I assume that there is a fair amount of glee in being able to print a story about sexual impropriety by a Trump supporting Republican candidate, I don't think they made it up. 

#13 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a helicopter pilot for the Pinochet administration

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1254 PM

I will totally believe the victim. I will not believe the media. If she was truly victimized, then Moore has to go, but this looks like the journos are using their old tricks, especially considering this a conservative politician two weeks before an election, in a month that has been a slaughter of male feminist icons.

#14 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1319 PM

He's guilty of being proven to not respect law and constitution. That's disqualifying in itself - the primary voters fucked up.

Your opinion carries weight exactly how?  maybe long distance osmosis from Germany?

#15 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1323 PM

posting in my apparently apostrophe-challenged state] I would honestly be surprised if it changes much re the election. Its not like Virginia (the impact of which I think was pretty overblown; Va is increasingly white-collar and non-Caucasian, both of which tend anti-Trump, so its not surprising that a candidate who tries Trump-style moves wouldnt win).

Like you implied, Moore has already done a lot of questionable stuff, and that doesnt seem to have cost him much. I just cant see Alabama going Democrat unless the black population turns out in huge numbers or something (unlikely, and the recent allegations probably wont change that).

What would be a total [email protected] is if the Washington Posts story turns out to actually be Fake News™. Which would destroy the paper, but (I know Im the minority opinion here) their coverage of these types of scandals tends to be pretty tight, and Id assume that they have all their ducks in a row given the stakes. Their editor in chief is Marty Barron of Spotlight fame, he is about as good as it gets with this stuff.

Uh, long rant, my prediction = Alabama elects a senator who used to make the moves on young teens.

How many years ago?   And were just hearing about it now?   And How many elections has he stood for it that time?

Edited by Mike Steele, 10 November 2017 - 1324 PM.

#16 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1353 PM

posting in my apparently apostrophe-challenged state] I would honestly be surprised if it changes much re the election. Its not like Virginia (the impact of which I think was pretty overblown; Va is increasingly white-collar and non-Caucasian, both of which tend anti-Trump, so its not surprising that a candidate who tries Trump-style moves wouldnt win).

How many years ago?   And were just hearing about it now?   And How many elections has he stood for it that time?

According to the WPost article, one or more of their reporters was down there to do a story about Moore in the context of the run-up to the election, heard about the rumors that he liked young girls and tracked them down. I guess the only fishy part to me is why it didn’t get out earlier, but I guess (if the story’s true) then that would be something for local media to answer.

#17 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1748 PM

Your opinion carries weight exactly how?  maybe long distance osmosis from Germany?

My opinion carries exactly as much weight as yours unless you're Alabamian. And even then your opinion would only be infinitesimally more relevant.

Stick the "ugh! caveman is offended!" BS up your canal where there's no light and learn to pay attention to messages instead of messengers.

#18 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 15,348 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1755 PM

I smell a rat, and it’s not Moore. Call me overly suspicious but.... I don’t believe it at this point, it is too convenient in today’s Hollywood exposes.

#19 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,023 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 10 November 2017 - 1759 PM

Deborah Wesson Gilmore:

23376159_1550145875052888_87712922099218

#20 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice