#21 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 14 October 2011 - 1811 PM

Just got a 120GB Intel SSD to replace my failed main HDD. It's 10x smaller but hopefully 10x faster. I'll have to reshuffle my stuff. Perhaps if I keep some of my file collections synced on my laptop it'll work out as I had quite a bit of stuff on the failed drive. It's all backed up except whatever I had in my documents and downloads... I don't normally keep important things there but I might have lost some game saves. Not a huge deal.

I bought an Intel as though the other brands are 2x less expensive they seem to be also less reliable.

#22 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,970 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 14 October 2011 - 2144 PM

I bought a Kingston sh100s3/120g two weeks ago, also 120 GB. That was because I was setting up a NAS to have some kind of backup for my files, and upgraded the laptop as well.

It's still not working well because of some quirk with the autorun files, but speed is amazing.

Also, I'm looking for a good way to lay some CAT6 cable between my office and the NAS. It's something ridiculous to have only 20Mbit/s because of using a PLC link.

Edited by sunday, 14 October 2011 - 2147 PM.

#23 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 2309 PM

I went with a Samsung. No issues. The speed is crazy.

#24 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 2253 PM

I ordered and installed a SSD for my netbook. Performs better but not the great shakes that has been mentioned. I think that is a function of it being a netbook. Crucial 256gb (1 for 1 swap as far as size goes) Took 2 hrs to clone off of the original drive, dead easy replacement.

#25 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 2300 PM

I got a SSD as replacement for my failed main HDD. Loading times of anything seems to have been eliminated, however it's kinda hard fitting even just my most basic software on the 120GB... I'll soon have to get a new big drive to put all that useless stuff (like games etc) on.

Also there are random glitches every now and then. Hard to pin-point so for now I'm just ignoring them. And I did get the most reliable brand (Intel).

#26 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,914 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 27 October 2011 - 2358 PM

The best performance is running your swap on the drive and caching things you frequently use on the drive.

#27 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 1944 PM

Now it won't boot. I hate it

At a complete loss how to fix it. Reinstalling windows. At least I could access it to copy whatever important stuff I had on it.

I have a feeling I overfilled it and crashed it. But now wiped and new win and seems to work ok so far.

The problem was compounded by a bug in my mobo bios which caused infinite reboot loop. For a while I attributed that to the SSD... bios now updated so I hope things get normal.

Summary (while installing everything for the THIRD time in the past month):
- SSD is great
- do not overfill
- if it won't boot make sure everything else is OK as the problem might lie elsewhere

Edited by Fritz, 02 November 2011 - 1935 PM.

#28 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 29 November 2011 - 0734 AM

My SSD seems to have broken down, unclear if it was the numerous resets due to a failing graphics card the past year that broke it or if it was a crappy specimen... Computer about to be shipped to dealer soon :( (me want to be playing ffs)

/R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users