• Please log in to reply
4222 replies to this topic

#4221 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,602 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 1744 PM

I had something similar happen on my tank at Ft. Stewart in 1981.  We had to empty the tank (M60A1) of the spent casings after firing for an ARTEP.  I told my loader that I didn't want to work at a snails pace and to get out of the way so I could empty the tank as fast as I could (which he did).  My tank commander, who had wandered away before we started this, saw what was happening and quickly marched over to put a stop to it.  He walked right to the spot the casings were landing.  One came down right on his head and knocked him out.  We spent most of the ARTEP without him as he was taken to the hospital.

Interesting conversations ensued... :blink:

#4222 Tim Sielbeck

Tim Sielbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 0150 AM

To be honest I don't remember anyone other than my loader, who was fighting between hilarity and slightly freaking out, and my TC, when I next saw him, saying anything about it.  My Plt. Sgt. seemed to be pretty peeved the rest of the ARTEP but never said anything about it.  My TC admitted to doing something stupid and said I should never empty shell casings like that again in a very calm and matter of fact voice.  He never held it against me.

#4223 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,602 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 2035 PM

To be honest I don't remember anyone other than my loader, who was fighting between hilarity and slightly freaking out, and my TC, when I next saw him, saying anything about it.  My Plt. Sgt. seemed to be pretty peeved the rest of the ARTEP but never said anything about it.  My TC admitted to doing something stupid and said I should never empty shell casings like that again in a very calm and matter of fact voice.  He never held it against me.

Good leadership.