5744 replies to this topic

#5741 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,413 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 0848 AM

Actually looking at it now, im not sure it is the same one, but they have 2 there so maybe I got them mixed up.

german-museum-of-technology.jpg

The one with the Hook, assuming its not still there, is either one of these, or possibly the one under restoration to fly in the US.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 17 August 2018 - 0851 AM.

#5742 wendist

wendist

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 1630 PM

Ju-87

That's what I thought as well, but I've made too many ID mistakes to be confident in saying so. :unsure: :(

I have been wrong too many times to count and I will undoubtedly be wrong again. ^_^ But this time I think I can say with confidence that I am right. Those three rectangular holes just below the frame for the cockpit are unique for the Ju-87 I believe.

Some additional info on remaining Ju-87:

http://airsoc.com/ar...as-stuka-part-1

Edited by wendist, 17 August 2018 - 1636 PM.

#5743 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,413 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 0310 AM

Im not sure I really want one to fly again, but thinking about it, its not got any worse a reputation than a HE111 or a FW190. I think it has just been so associated with my mind with bombing refugee column's, which in fairness, all types of Luftwaffe aircraft were going. It also bombed my Grandad, but maybe thats me letting it get just getting a little bit too personal. :D

#5744 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 AM

https://www.express....ssian-air-force

RuAF jets practicing highway landing drills near Chinese border - with traffic backed up in both directions. 

#5745 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,736 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Trump preparing to nominate key military personnel: report

By Megan Keller - 08/19/18 05:28 PM EDT

President Trump is expected to switch out commanders across the Middle East and Europe in the administration’s most dramatic change to U.S. military leadership so far, according to a new report from The Wall Street Journal.

The Journal reported that the personnel shifts will affect officers fighting in the Middle East, as well as those working to counter Russia, overseeing Guantánamo Bay and engaging in stealth operations around the world.

Officials told the Journal that Army Lt. Gen. Richard Clarke is anticipated to be formally appointed to U.S. Special Operations Command, in Tampa, Fla. He would succeed Army Gen. Tony Thomas, who will retire next year. The Special Operations Command oversees the specialized forces of all military branches.

As of now, Clarke serves as the director of strategic plans and policy for the Pentagon’s Joint Staff. He also served as operations officer at Joint Special Operations Command when the Pentagon initiated the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. At that post, Clarke played a key role in the mission, participating in the planning, training and execution of the raid.

Trump will likely nominate two other commanders to replace retiring heads of regional combatant commands, several U.S. officials told the Journal.

Air Force Gen. Tod Wolters is anticipated to be chosen to head the U.S. European Command and NATO supreme allied commander Europe.

In the past, Wolters has served as the operations officer on the Joint Staff at the Pentagon. Wolters currently runs Air Force Europe, Air Force Africa and Allied Air Command, all of which are based in Germany. He has especially focused on combating Russia in recent years.

Marine Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie Jr. is expected to take on U.S. Central Command, after Army Gen. Joseph Votel, according to the Journal. That position is also out of Tampa and is thought of as the most prominent in the military. The post is responsible for all operations in the Middle East.

[...]

http://thehill.com/h...inations-report

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users