1542 replies to this topic

#1541 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,819 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 0355 AM

The DPRK has been like this for quite awhile. There's no reason to think it will fail now if it hasn't before. Famine in Bestest Korea is kinda like flooding in Bangladesh - it happens and will continue to happen.

On the other hand, Un Poco has been pretty damn quiet the last couple months, hasn't he? Curious. Perhaps he thought Trump was ready to pull the trigger.

Confirmation bias. :) The worst has not happened, ergo it will continue not to happen.  Which worked fine for Libya,Persia, Iraq and the USSR until one day it turned out not to be true anymore. All authoritarian regimes fall over eventually, usually when they run out of lies and excuses to tell themselves.

That North Korea is going to fall over eventually I dont much doubt. What scares the hell out of me is what happens when it does,

Yeah, he has been quiet. Ive read they are supposedly trying to work out whether Trump is crazy or not. Im sure they have a lot of company on that one. :D

#1542 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 AM

I'm not particularly convinced a DPRK collapse is the worst. Its surely bad news for China and South Korea; from the US point of view it does at least solve one problem even if it creates some new ones.

#1543 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,819 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Its not so much that DPRK falling over is a bad thing. For one think the South Koreans will probably overjoyed. Its just that we have not yet see a nuclear armed state fall over, other than the USSR. Thats an encouraging example, but at the same time not necessarily a good one because the USSR had become such a different country from North Korea.

Basically you have an asian medieval feudal state with nuclear weapons collapsing. I dont know much about Asian medieval history, but I cant think of many examples of them collapsing that positive results, particularly those in the hand of just a single leader. Now they have in their hands the ability to visit the chaos of a collapse outside their borders, particularly if they regard that collapse as generated by outsiders.

That is my personal fear, and at the moment is impossible to verify how real that fear is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users