15472 replies to this topic

#15401 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 1219 PM

Actually the fact that you call him a troll makes you look like resorting to the standard defense of somebody being called out on claiming unsupported nonsense in an appropriately sarcastic fashion. Incidentally, I'd be rather interested in the source for your hefty statement, too.

He was trolling. He did not ask for a source, did not say "I don't think so", he implied that my info is same level of someone claiming B-2 shot down in 1999.

Which is a same tactics local conspiracy nuts resort to when someone rattles their cage with something they don't like...

As for source, I can not disclose a neme, but let's say it is same one that had info about supplying weapons from Serbia to the Yemen and Syria via USA that I have posted some 4-5 years ago. Which turned out to be spot on.

As I have noted, none has to believe any anonymous info, but if you don't you can say so, w/o implying that one who has posted it is some conspiracy nut.

Edited by bojan, 13 November 2019 - 1222 PM.

#15402 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,709 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 1231 PM

Speaking for myself I don't believe you are a tinfoil hat. I just wanted to know the source, and you did offer the comment out of left field somewhat.

When is he alleged to have done it?

#15403 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 1245 PM

Where did Bojan say that a B-2 was shot down over Serbia?

He didn't.

The point I was making is that when people start making claims about things supposedly happening in Kosovo in 1999 that are a staple of the usual RT & Sputnik aligned sites and blogs, my bullshit detectors start tingling.

#15404 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 1246 PM

He served as an intermediary for a mercenaries fighting for KLA, including some hard-core islamist radicals (inclusion of which lead to inter-KLA fighting due the strong Catholic/Muslim divide among Albanians*). That is a job that can be clearly done even while serving in the army. In fact I would say it is an advantage for that particular job.

*"Australian Taliban" (forgot his name) made a mistake of trying to join Catholic part, almost got killed by them, then found more accepting group.

Edited by bojan, 13 November 2019 - 1248 PM.

#15405 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 1625 PM

David Hicks ?

'Around May 1999, Hicks travelled to Albania in order to join the Kosovo Liberation Army. The US military alleged that he undertook basic training and hostile action before returning to Australia and converting to Islam.[35] The KLA did not accept Islamic fundamentalism, and many of its fighters and fundraisers were Catholic.[36] In June 1999, the Kosovo War ended and the KLA disbanded as part of UNSCR 1244. Hicks described his time with the KLA as a life-changing experience and on his return to Australia, converted to Islam and began studying at a mosque in Gilles Plains in Adelaide.[37]'

#15406 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 1647 PM

That one.

Edited by bojan, 13 November 2019 - 1647 PM.

#15407 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,694 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 2019 PM

I do question the involvement of B-1s in that conflict, which I believe was implied in one of the posts. But I still believe we can keep the discourse a little less hostile.

#15408 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 2041 PM

One B-1B to quote a book "lost all fuel while evading SAMs, and also suffered damage from a lightning hit on the wing". On the same night Zoltan Dani's (of the F-117 shot down fame) unit reported hitting (as in proximity fuse on SA-3 warhead activated) something big. Nothing definite, but there are some suspicions.

There are plenty unexplored parts of that war, including involvement of helicopters other than SAR. If you want to discuss it open a topic, or send me a PM.

Edited by bojan, 13 November 2019 - 2041 PM.

#15409 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,709 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 0225 AM

If it was hit, the damage wasn't very evident. From the occasion when I saw B-1's launch out of Fairford to bomb the former Yugoslavia, there were scores of crowds. If there was any evident battle damage they would have been talking all about it. At that time the roads were very near the airbase (something asshat stop the war protests fixed for us), it wouldn't have been very easy to park something that big to hide obvious damage.

Thinking on it, I actually managed to listen to the coms from the ground crew at Fairford using my airband scanner (not a bad effort considering its over 20 miles away. Probably atmospherics). Great fun to hear the master sergeant chewing out his underlings for not parking the fuel trucks in the right place.  Anyone on top of them would likely have picked any talk over the radio over battle damage, and Ive certainly not read that anyone has.

Could it have happened? Sure. I remember reading about a B52 hit by a sam 2 in the vietnam war, and all they got for a slightly splintered windscreen which fortunately didnt crack. Such things happen.

#15410 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 1313 PM

https://time.com/572...ts-dies-turkey/

He was also a cunt who rescuited islamists for a fighting in Kosovo.

Lawrence of Arabia 2 had to go because the failed revolution and because his superiors did not want to read the story of yet another character of the BA.

#15411 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,561 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 1454 PM

ANNA News video of Rus air patrols from Qamishly airbase

#15412 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,994 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 1711 PM

What!!! no Ka-52 Alligators, by far my favourite attack helicopter. 

#15413 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 1750 PM

I wonder how long it is before we see APS for helicopters.

#15414 Blunt Eversmoke

Blunt Eversmoke

despicable hypocrite with nothing to crow for

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 2357 PM

True. Would necessitate really freaky designs, if current state of APS tech is any indication.

#15415 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 0145 AM

Kinda there already. Ka-52 are routinely deployed with Vitebsk DIRCM system.

#15416 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 0711 AM

Kinda there already. Ka-52 are routinely deployed with Vitebsk DIRCM system.

Good point.  I suppose the case for a hard kill system would be based on it also protecting against radar and laser guided missiles. But there are obvious problems (fragments can still be deadly, so the intercept ideally has to happen further out).

#15417 Mighty_Zuk

Mighty_Zuk

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 1110 AM

The interception has to be fragmentation free, and the interceptor must also be fragment free.
Interceptor must be maneuverable, and hot launched, to cover the entire sphere around the helicopter, and also prevent damage to the helicopter.

To achieve that, it is possible to use the MHTK missile as it is small, and has no warhead.

Israel's RAFAEL once tested such an interceptor. It was like a miniature missile but had folding sections that would deploy and strike the incoming missile like a cage armor and detonate it far away from the helicopter.

#15418 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 0331 AM

The interception has to be fragmentation free, and the interceptor must also be fragment free.
Interceptor must be maneuverable, and hot launched, to cover the entire sphere around the helicopter, and also prevent damage to the helicopter.

To achieve that, it is possible to use the MHTK missile as it is small, and has no warhead.

Israel's RAFAEL once tested such an interceptor. It was like a miniature missile but had folding sections that would deploy and strike the incoming missile like a cage armor and detonate it far away from the helicopter.

Are fragments really going to be a problem if the intercept happens eg. more than 20 and maybe several hundred metres away ?

#15419 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,709 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 1156 AM

Bibi to face bribery and breach of public trust charges.

https://www.bbc.co.u...e-east-50508399

#15420 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,709 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 0318 AM

https://uk.reuters.c...dName=worldNews

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin on Thursday distanced itself from a video showing four Russian-speaking men torturing, stabbing and beheading a Syrian man in 2017 and said the incident had nothing to do with Russia’s military.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said he had not seen the footage, but said: “I am certain that this has no relation to Russian military operations in Syria.”

Part of the video, obtained by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, first appeared in June 2017, before new recordings emerged this month.

The gruesome footage shows a man being beaten with a sledgehammer and decapitated with a spade before being strung up by his legs and his body set on fire.

Earlier this month, Arabic news outlet Jesr Press identified the victim as Mohammed Taha Ismail Al-Abdullah, a Syrian national.

The men responsible recorded their own video footage and made jokes as they dismembered the body.

When asked whether the Kremlin would look into the footage, given that it involved Russian speakers, Peskov said the Kremlin is not an investigative body.

Reuters has previously reported that Russia secretly used private military contractors in Syria to carry out missions in support of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, Moscow’s ally, in coordination with the Russian military.

Russia denies using military contractors in Syria and says any Russian civilians there are volunteers.

Peskov said the Kremlin does not have information about the work of private companies and that he saw no risk of reputational damage to Russia because of the video.

“I can only talk about the actions and activities of Russian armed forces and units that act under orders from the Supreme commander.”