3 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 2045 PM

My German is non-existent, but I take it that the MG5 is superior on all counts?

#2 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 0701 AM

The gist is "we know everybody loves the MG 3, but the MG 5 is at the very least not worse". :D

They make a lot of accessories like an optical sight, adjustable buttstock and a forward grip for firing on the move, which of course also exist for the MG 3, though they need some extra effort to attach.

2013-08-24_MG3KWS-660x439.jpg

The most marked differences would be going from recoil to gas operation with lower, selectable ROF, and the easier (depending upon your view) barrel change method with longer change intervals. What they don't mention is enhanced safety features (like blowing out a squib round stuck in the barrel), but then they're also quiet about adaptability to existing mounts being not as great as advertized; it recently emerged that an additional 60 million Euro need to be spent to rectify this. The chief reason for the change remains that the MG 3 is no longer supported by domestic industry.

Another clip on operational use of the MG 5 with some of the same footage (interestingly there is no mention of the light MG 4 as the primary squad-level machinegun):

#3 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,835 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 0859 AM

You love MG42 derivatives if it is 1940/50s or you have never seen anything better (PKM or even MAG).

It's tripod however  :wub: (otoh it is actualy MG-34 tripod and practically dates back to MG-30)...

Edited by bojan, 17 November 2019 - 0859 AM.

#4 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 1449 PM

You love MG42 derivatives if it is 1940/50s or you have never seen anything better (PKM or even MAG).

It's tripod however  :wub: (otoh it is actualy MG-34 tripod and practically dates back to MG-30)...

PKM is the better squad machine gun than MG3, IMHO. For tripod use I am not so sure. The FN MAG is heavier than an MG3. Both do not deliver the same volume of fire as an MG3. And personally I find the MAG to be more awkward to handle and carry than an MG3. Only thing I really prefer is the handle on the barrel, a MG3 can burn you, when you have forgotten your gloves. The PKM is easier to carry around than both. 

Certainly agree on the tripod. H&K has also designed a new tripod for the MG5 that can do the same things while being a bit lighter.