7046 replies to this topic

#41 Tommy Bennett

Tommy Bennett

Meus officium est ut servo Imperium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 2201 PM

Finally saw Tae Guk GI. Much gratuitous violence and mayhem! The story was pretty hackneyed, however. Overall I did enjoy the experience, but rest assured, the battles are more WW1 than post-WW2.

#42 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 1426 PM

I watched Inglourious Basterds last week, and didn't really know what to make of it right off the bat; waking up the next morning, I realized what I'd watched was in essence a tribute to the old war comics. "Sgt Rock and his Howling Commandos kill Hitler and the whole German High Command!"

#43 Tommy Bennett

Tommy Bennett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 1516 PM

While on stand-by last week in the crew rooms, I saw From Paris With Love & Old Dogs. I've been a Travolta fan since Vinnie Barbarino, but these two films sucked hairy moose - um - privates.

On the horizon, however, are Robin Hood, Iron Man 2 & Predators.

#44 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,321 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 2249 PM

While on stand-by last week in the crew rooms, I saw From Paris With Love & Old Dogs. I've been a Travolta fan since Vinnie Barbarino, but these two films sucked hairy moose - um - privates.

On the horizon, however, are Robin Hood, Iron Man 2 & Predators.

I hate the title. Reminds me of that awful POS movie "Anacondas."

Looking forward for IM2 and RH.

#45 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:History/Wargaming

Posted 24 April 2010 - 2354 PM

I stepped into the 1990's yesterday and watched Pulp Fiction. Harvey Keitel stole the show.

Pulp Fiction is great IMO!! Love that movie and I watch it everytime I get the chance!

#46 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:History/Wargaming

Posted 25 April 2010 - 0001 AM

Watched Blind Side tonight. Really enjoyed it! A real "feel good" movie! Sandra Bulloch is great and very hot in this :P She can spank me anytime :P Tim McGraw sure looks alot like his Dad..... Tug!

#47 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  • Interests:Ducats and shot

Posted 25 April 2010 - 1132 AM

Finally saw Tae Guk GI. Much gratuitous violence and mayhem! The story was pretty hackneyed, however. Overall I did enjoy the experience, but rest assured, the battles are more WW1 than post-WW2.

Much of the plot-driving devices seemed to be video game oriented. "Take the hill!" "Capture the officer!" It was also very melodramatic. Oh, and gory as all hell indeed.

Kick-Ass was utterly flawless.

And shame on anyone who hasn't watched "Elite Squad" yet.

#48 Nailcreek

Nailcreek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Military technology, WWI AFVs, knifemaking and too many hobbies

Posted 25 April 2010 - 1213 PM

Shutter Island - really screws with your head. Thought it was a great movie. Definitely would rent it to see it again to figure out how it ties together.

Remember Me - Chick Flick.

Kick Ass - Gory, funny and not sure what to make of it. Great gun pron.

Book of Eli - Thought it was a cool movie with a great twist at the end.

#49 Rubberanvil

Rubberanvil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Posted 25 April 2010 - 1221 PM

Yesterday evening there was a Spanish movie, translated King of the Hill (don't know original title). Reminiscent of Deliverance, but happens in the mountains somewhere in Spain, not excessively gory but one of the more disturbing movies I've seen recently. Probably quite cheap budget, but the outcome works.

Could you post a link to the movie home page, wiki page on it and/ or another site would some information on it?

And shame on anyone who hasn't watched "Elite Squad" yet.

This The Elite Squad?

Edited by Rubberanvil, 25 April 2010 - 1225 PM.

#50 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 1524 PM

Saw Avatar this week. Absolutely gorgeous CGI and -A. Absolutely execrable plot. Cameron should either be knighted or shot.

So disgusted, I'm writing my own story. Tony Evans, PM me. We need to talk.

Shot

#51 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  • Interests:Ducats and shot

Posted 27 April 2010 - 1414 PM

This The Elite Squad?

Yep, "Tropa de Elite" in the portuguese.

#52 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

Velkomin heim Tankur-netters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, people, stuff of life in general --- past, present and future!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 1727 PM

Can't remember the last time I went to the movies or what I saw. Maybe the drive-in? :D - no not THAT long ago, but a very long time ago. Many many years.

Would love to see the Elizabeth movies (Cate Blanchette?) just to see all the costumes and scenes details. I always wish I could see MOST historic movies on really big screen.

I have a really small screen portable that I have to pull real close to be able to see. Not good for details (and bad eyes also starting cataracts)

I watched this one last night and really enjoyed the serious story/messages and acting, lots of fun in it too.

The Talk of the Town 1942
http://www.filmsite.org/talk.html

#53 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Interests:Military History

Posted 27 April 2010 - 1916 PM

Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Being an olde Sherlock Holmes fan, and expecting (a)(the) "real" master detective to appear once again, this movie had little relevance to offer. Besides the era, locations and names, there was nothing in this movie relating to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Holmes was played unconvincingly by Robert Downey Jr. This was not a bad movie, has lots of action, good props, etc., but would have a made a better movie with other names for the characters. Oh well, the Dream Factory strikes again.

I think that in the TV series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" (19842004) Jeremy Brett played an outstanding interpretation of the character. And the episodes were good adaptations of various stories by Doyle. But then, I liked the Basil Rathbone ones also.

And, speaking of detectives, I loved David Suchet as Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. And of course Peter Ustinov's Poirot in the various movies.

Leo

#54 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

Velkomin heim Tankur-netters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, people, stuff of life in general --- past, present and future!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 1947 PM

And, speaking of detectives, I loved David Suchet as Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. And of course Peter Ustinov's Poirot in the various movies.

Leo

Me too. Love AC's mysteries in general, books, movies. Great fun! (books - As a young adolescent while my teenage sisters were into "True Romance" mags, I was into "True Detective" and whodunnits. Strange kid :D Love to see books into film!)

Edited by Dame Karmen, 27 April 2010 - 1948 PM.

#55 Tommy Bennett

Tommy Bennett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 0149 AM

I finally got to see the remake of The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three, and it was a mere shadow of the original. I liked the villain's madness, but he was not as well written as he could've been given a more sinister and calculating persona.

Working on the subway, I was able to pick out a lot of technical errors - which I'm happy to have seen - rather than providing useful information.

#56 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 1338 PM

I finally got to see the remake of The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three, and it was a mere shadow of the original. I liked the villain's madness, but he was not as well written as he could've been given a more sinister and calculating persona.

Working on the subway, I was able to pick out a lot of technical errors - which I'm happy to have seen - rather than providing useful information.

Nobody can beat Robert Shaw. I haven't even bothered to watch the remake. What are they gonna do next, remake Jaws? Name me one other living actor who could equal this performance.

Edited by Jim Martin, 28 April 2010 - 1339 PM.

#57 Tommy Bennett

Tommy Bennett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 0354 AM

Nobody can beat Robert Shaw. I haven't even bothered to watch the remake. What are they gonna do next, remake Jaws? Name me one other living actor who could equal this performance.

One of the most riveting moments I've ever watched. That one scene was written by Howard Sackler, John Milius - and Robert Shaw!

"A shark, its got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When it comes at you, it doesn't appear to be livin'..."

It was an exceptional insight into understanding why Quint was who he was. He was helpless for the only time in his life. Not in control. How hard it was for him to ask for Hooper's help in the end was a humbling moment.

#58 Rubberanvil

Rubberanvil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Posted 29 April 2010 - 0432 AM

Imho it didn't help Denzel was channeling Forrest Gump in all of his scenes.

#59 Tommy Bennett

Tommy Bennett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 1815 PM

Imho it didn't help Denzel was channeling Forrest Gump in all of his scenes.

The writing didn't matter so much as the title, I guess. Chalk up another reason to try new stuff or existing stories that haven't made it to film.

#60 scj1014

scj1014

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,817 posts
  • Location:South Central Pennsylvania...exact location classified
  • Interests:Military history, paleontology, firearms, sci-fi, my wife and kids,sports,hunting,hiking

Posted 01 May 2010 - 1728 PM

I've recently been watching a most scary horror movie...so scary I can only watch it one or two scenes at a time.

It's called "Barack Obama; The Destruction of The American Economy and The Demise of Capitalism." Co-starring Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and appearing as themselves The Mainstream Media.

I understand it will run daily until November 2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users