12 replies to this topic

#1 Sikkiyn

Sikkiyn

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 0921 AM

Have a rather extensive dvd collection, which i would like to convert to digital format.

what is the best program i can use for this?

thank you.

#2 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 1020 AM

I use "MakeMKV" and/or "Handbrake", depending on if it's just DVDs or BluRays, and that works pretty well. Both are free / " in perpetual open beta".

#3 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 1846 PM

Audials Tunebite might be another option.

#4 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 2025 PM

Seconded on MakeMKV for blurays. Ultimate dvd Ripper is fantastic for its user friendly interface and gets my vote for regular dvds.

#5 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 2321 PM

I've used a number of them, all from the Give Away of the Day site. Not sure what the current one is, the PC hasn't powered up since July, They're all essentially front ends for Handbrake and more or less equivalent. As mentioned another option is MakeMKV. I use it for BlueRay rips, it's fast and pretty reliable, the disadvantage is it doesn't compress, so rips will eat up space rapidly, thank goodness for 8 and 10 tb external drives for < $200.

#6 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 0440 AM

I suppose the idea is that after the ripping you compress them yourself with the encoder of your choice.

#7 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 0512 AM

I suppose the idea is that after the ripping you compress them yourself with the encoder of your choice.

Exactly. MakeMKV works fine for ripping BluRays and selecting particular audio or subtitle tracks in the process, while Handbrake is great for encoding the resulting huge MKV file to a relatively small, Mp4 or similar video file.

#8 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 1511 PM

I do eventually run the MKV files through handbrake, but it adds an additional several hour step to each BluRay. My main Gaming/ripping pc is an I7 2700k @ 3.8 gHz, but its not working so it falls to my old Lenovo Y50/70 with an I7 mobile at 2.5 gHz or my ideapad with an I5 mobile @ 2.4 gHz. Even the old I7 2700k can take hours for a BluRay, I haven't even tried a 4K BluRay yet, the slower laptops would be painfully slow.

Among this weekend's projects are repairing the gaming desktop (have a new 450 watt Corsair power supply sitting next to me now), assembling an open air case to finally build my new gaming machine/hackintosh (I7 8700K, AIO liquid cooler, 32 gb of ddr 4 3600 ram, 8 gb RX 580, 1 tb NVM.M2 ssd), got an old SATA BluRay drive sitting around to turn the 8700k into a ripping machine as well.

#9 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 2117 PM

Well, this is where better hardware will definitely cut down on encoding time (if combined with state of the art encoder software). The (marginal) increase in GHz is deceptive here since modern processors geht more done per cycle than old ones. My comparison of i7-4700K with i7-9700 speaks volumes (though not tested in video encoding). The biggest gains will be with GPU encoding however!

The choice (and capabilities/limitations) of the encoding software will have a big influence on which kind of hardware is most useful.

What I just googled:

https://www.pugetsys...eForce-RTX-1395

https://www.cpubench...376vs3435vs3316

Handbrake seems to be particularly hobbled with limited usage of actual hardware capabilities. VideoProc may be worth some consideration (by far not the only option; a Linux boot stick with DaVinci could also help), but it only makes sense if combined with capability-matching hardware. This isn't about 20% gains. More like factor 20.

#10 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 2041 PM

Got the old gaming/ripping pc working today with help from younger eyes at work. Would not post or even fully power up with the original 600w RAIDMAX power supply, CPU fan would try to spin and GeForce card lights would power on, but that was it. As soon as we swapped the pwr supply for a Corsair CK450M everything came up fine. Replaced the stock Intel air cooler with a CoolerMaster that's been sitting in my stash for years, Once I'm confident everything works I'll OC the CPU a bit. I've got to shuffle some monitors around tonight then hook it up, my 28 in 4K Dell has a cracked screen so will replace it with 2-3 24 in 1080p monitors, then update OS and apps/games.

#11 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,657 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 0903 AM

How old was the psu? After five to seven years preventive maintenace and changing it is in order. You should also change the CR2032 battery on the mainboard or the BIOS/UEFI gets amnesia on power off.

#12 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 1005 AM

PSU was somewhere in the 7-8 yr old range. When the pc failed my first thought was the PSU, modern PSU do seem to have a finite lifetime.

#13 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 2140 PM

Since I've finally got my gaming/ripping computer running again, I checked to see what program I've been using. Aiseesoft Media Converter, good performance especially with a Quiksync capable processor + motherboard combo, good interface with nice selection of presets.

I had to reboot to complete windows updates, so went into the EUFI/BIOS to experiment with some light overclocking. Bumped base clock from 3.6 gHz  to 4.0 and turbo from 3.9 to 4.2. Running for a couple hours now without problems, including a Blender benchmark. HWmonitor showed a max temp of 62C and max voltage of 1.31, a little research shows recommended limits of 72.6C and 1.425 volts, so I've got a lot of headroom. Tomorrow I'll try base clock 4.5 gHz and turbo of 5.0 and see how it handles that.

Edited by GregShaw, 25 November 2019 - 2140 PM.