• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 0641 AM

The Cracker Barrel restaurant in Richmond, IN has several different types of "old-time" sodas. I presume since Cracker Barrel is a chain brand it would be true in other locations.

#22 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 1938 PM

The Cracker Barrel restaurant in Richmond, IN has several different types of "old-time" sodas. I presume since Cracker Barrel is a chain brand it would be true in other locations.

Yep ours does too. I have sampled quite a few of their selection.

#23 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 0228 AM

Delaware Punch is one of my faves, even though it's non-carbonated. Came in a can and was sold by Coke, though.

When I was a kid, Delaware Punch came in bottles ( in Texas, at least ), and at some point in my early married years you could buy bottles of the syrup and add water. That was in Washington ( state ), IIRC.

There used to be all kinds of local sodas. My dad, during a short break in service after WWII, drove a delivery truck for the local Dr. Pepper distributor in Bryan, TX, and the owner ( a Mr. Buchannan ) bottled his own fruit-flavoured drinks under the brand name "Buck". They were in business until the 60's. Nothing beat an ice-cold bottle of Buck strawberry or orange after a long day of playing outside in the central Texas heat. There are some Mexican fruit sodas available in stores up here, and they're pretty good, but not as good as I remember Buck being.

Dr. Pepper, esp. in glass bottles, is still my all-time favourite soda pop.

#24 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,849 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 1817 PM

When I was a kid, Delaware Punch came in bottles ( in Texas, at least ), and at some point in my early married years you could buy bottles of the syrup and add water. That was in Washington ( state ), IIRC.

I saw some of that syrup for sale on eBay! I understand the older syrup was VERY bad for your kidneys.

There used to be all kinds of local sodas. My dad, during a short break in service after WWII, drove a delivery truck for the local Dr. Pepper distributor in Bryan, TX, and the owner ( a Mr. Buchannan ) bottled his own fruit-flavoured drinks under the brand name "Buck". They were in business until the 60's. Nothing beat an ice-cold bottle of Buck strawberry or orange after a long day of playing outside in the central Texas heat.

Kinda like Nehi in the deep south!
There are some Mexican fruit sodas available in stores up here, and they're pretty good, but not as good as I remember Buck being.

Naranja is one of my faves.
Dr. Pepper, esp. in glass bottles, is still my all-time favourite soda pop.

I'd love to have some made with real sugar. And diet Dr. Pepper is not even fit to clean my car battery leads.

#25 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 2215 PM

I'd love to have some made with real sugar. And diet Dr. Pepper is not even fit to clean my car battery leads.

You guys want to check out Dublin Dr Pepper if you can find it.
http://en.wikipedia....ublin_Dr_Pepper

I really like RC Cola. Also there is a brand out of St. Louis called Vess. They make some great orange, root beer, grape, and cream sodas.

#26 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 1940 PM

My family likes diet DP, but I don't like diet anything, although the DP is better than most. Artificial sweetners can do odd things with MS patients, though, so I'd avoid them even if I liked the taste.

I also like RC cola, but only one store chain in my area sells it.

Some ginger ales, esp. ones made in Jamaica, are very nice. I like a soda that fights back a little.

#27 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,213 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 2252 PM

Every once in awhile I used to buy a 2-liter bottle of this stuff; http://www.northern-...ginger-ale.html

I thought it was noticibly better than the usual supermarket fare.

Dunno if they still have it locally.

#28 Rubberanvil

Rubberanvil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 0310 AM

You guys want to check out Dublin Dr Pepper if you can find it.
http://en.wikipedia....ublin_Dr_Pepper

Emphasis on the if with Dr Pepper Snapple Group winning the lawsuit against Dublin Dr Pepper.

#29 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 0426 AM

Emphasis on the if with Dr Pepper Snapple Group winning the lawsuit against Dublin Dr Pepper.

Yeah I am not a anti corporation guy but that is pretty shitty thing to see happen.

#30 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 0902 AM

Yeah I am not a anti corporation guy but that is pretty shitty thing to see happen.

Congress helped with their Soda Competition act...

#31 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 1154 AM

BEIJING—Regulators in northern China shut down production at a beverage plant owned by Coca-Cola Co. after finding chlorine in a batch of drinks made in February.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303916904577375370450310902.html

#32 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,849 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 2133 PM

Quit drinking battery acid a few weeks ago and I don't miss it.

#33 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,177 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 2311 PM

Yeah, I go with the small sodas mostly myself. Birch Beer, Root beers, etc.