41 replies to this topic

#1 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0315 AM

How do you guys like your hot dogs? No casing / casing, beef / pork / mix, boiled / steamed / grilled / fried / deep fried, yellow mustard / brown mustard / Dijon mustard, ketchup, onions, sweet relish / dill relish, sauerkraut, Coney Island sauce, chili with beans / chili with out beans, sport peppers, dill pickles, cheese / cheesewiz, coleslaw, wrapped in bacon, dipped in corn bread batter and deep fried, have I left anything out? The foodie in me is always curious as to new or old ways people are serving and eating the dogs.

Personally I like mine best two ways. I like a steamed all beef dog with natural casing, topped with chopped onions, Coney Island sauce, maybe some sauerkraut, and a spicy brown mustard that has a good horseradish kick to it. Recently I tried a Chicago style dog and really like them. They are a all beef dog on a poppy seed bun, topped with relish, sport peppers, dill pickle spear, yellow mustard, and tomato slices. I also really love a good corn dog. It is hard to find one made right. They have to be made with a batter that is basically the same as you would use to make hush puppies with. A lot of corn dogs taste like they have just been dipped in pancake batter. Which are not bad if made right, but they are called Cozy Dogs and originated at a joint near me.

#2 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0354 AM

I was worried this thread was concerning bestiality for a few moments there... :unsure:

#3 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0430 AM

And here I thought we were going to discuss how to prepare one's favorite Chinese or Mexican canine recipe.

#4 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0733 AM

Natural casing, all beef, boiled or steamed, onions and mustard only on a soft steamed bun. Occasionally I'll get sauerkraut but I usually save that for brats.

#5 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0752 AM

And here I thought we were going to discuss how to prepare one's favorite Chinese or Mexican canine recipe.

Posted Image

#6 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0753 AM

I like a Carolina style dog with chili, slaw, onions and mustard.

But man, the Chicago style is just phenomenal, with the neon green relish, tomato slices, sport peppers, celery seed, etc. A deli across the street from my office opened by Chicago transplants sells them like that, so I think lunch today has just been decided!

#7 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0801 AM

Hebrew National all beef dog, ketchup, classic yellow mustard, relish

#8 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0905 AM

I like it basically same, but with addition of garlic and chili. And I alternate between traditional yellow mustard and Dijon mustard.

(forgot chili)

Edited by Sardaukar, 03 July 2012 - 0942 AM.

#9 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0938 AM

I'll eat my Hebrew National (More sausage than hot dog!) with chili and cheese only.

#10 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 0943 AM

I like it basically same, but with addition of garlic. And I alternate between traditional yellow mustard and Dijon mustard.

Occasionally, I do the same.

#11 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 1025 AM

Hebrew National with slaw, ketchup, spicy mustard, cheese, and onion.

#12 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 1510 PM

Flatulence free?

Hotdogs I typically eat in a bun with ketchup (is bun the correct word btw?)

Beer sausage, pretty much like they are, with beer of course
/R

#13 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 1622 PM

Yep bun is correct. Richard when you say beer sausage, are those made with beer, or meant to be eaten while drinking beer, or both?

#14 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,144 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 1711 PM

With lumpe.

#15 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 1902 PM

Yep bun is correct. Richard when you say beer sausage, are those made with beer, or meant to be eaten while drinking beer, or both?

It's probably not called that in English, bier banger, beer banger? Up here it's an often dried sausage that's eaten as a snack. Some German och Tiroler should be able to help me out here perhaps...

Need... sleep....soon..... hate.... SQL....

/R

#16 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,353 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 2233 PM

Prefer with casing as the texture and "pop" when I bite into it is a nice sensation. Over here, default is ketchup and mayo. I am not too fond of mayo (heresy for the Ordinary Regular Swedish Meal Time crew I know :D ), so I have mine done with ketchup and lots of mustard (usually yellow is what they serve). If the vendor has other toppings, I choose pickle relish and onions (some have cucumber - no thank you). No cheese, please. Cheese and mayo IMO ruin a good hotdog/sausage sandwich. If there's chili con carne, I'd like that too with mustard. Bacon wrapped is another favourite - of course, it's bacon!

As for the bun, I prefer soft and slightly toasted. Haven't eaten a "proper" Chicago (i.e. with sesame bun).

Ditto on corn dog, very difficult to find a good one, especially over here. I remember in one event, they were selling real corn dogs, i.e. using corn flour or whatever. Most common corn dogs here are simply bread with the hotdog inside. I like the grittiness that cornmeal provide, one that I expect in a properly made corndog.

#17 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,222 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 2248 PM

Posted Image

#18 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,222 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 2310 PM

Lately its been a bratwurst in a whole-wheat bun, toasted. Can dress with ground black pepper, or a combo of pepper and a swipe of crushed garlic.

If I'm out at the ballpark or whatever, give me a toasted bun and topped with:
- sauerkraut & a line of mustard
- chili, no cheese
- pickle relish
- just mustard, preferably brown or coarse ground

Hard to find a good corn dog anywhere these days, but nothing beats a good corndog (meaning a lot of dog and not too much cornmeal batter) with a swipe of brown mustard.

Hotdogs have become America's traditional "festival food", found universally at baseball parks, fairs, etc. If you can have a dog and a beer for lunch, you are probably having a pretty good day.

#19 EvanDP

EvanDP

Deus Ex Nukina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 2317 PM

I love chili, cheese and fresh onions on my dog. Sometimes i like it on a Polish sausage.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Hot_dog_stand

Funny thing is I've been to every one of the hot dog stands pictured that are in California. :)

Edited by EvanDP, 04 July 2012 - 1230 PM.

#20 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 2322 PM

A traditional "Detroit Coney Island Hot Dog" for me. A steamed bun, natural casing hotdog with lots of mustard, onions and extra chili. I need nothing more, other than a couple more after the first one goes down my gullet.