#5661 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,789 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted 18 September 2019 - 1935 PM

I don't think Naomi Osaka can even speak Japanese so her image of representing Japan in sports sort of feels overplayed but Japan sponsership back and fostered her training from what I can gather and I don't think most people mind. Nobu and his family comes as nl surprise. But Sani Brown and Yu Darvish speak Japanese fluently.

Edited by JasonJ, 18 September 2019 - 1948 PM.

#5662 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 2314 PM

Pushback of the cultural appropriation type from the Black community against Japanese hip hop fandom has been limited to nonexistent in my observation of it. Instead, the response to it seems to be acknowledgement of a level of respect being shown by it.

The contrast with levels of pushback against others doing it is interesting.

#5663 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,008 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:53 AM

Boris Johnson

Just for you Stuart. ^_^ :P

3aqlqj.jpg

Tony, one day your unique brand of humour is going to get you locked up in the Tower. :D

Stu, until mememaking becomes forbidden or subject to a licence, i'll sit snugg as a bug and churn'em out by the dozen. :P

Wont be long now under the 4th Reich. :)

Finnish PM says 12 days to the Finish! Yeah, right.

https://www.bbc.co.u...litics-49749465

Boris Johnson has 12 days to set out his Brexit plans to the EU, according to Finland's prime minister.

Antti Rinne said he and French President Emmanuel Macron agreed the UK needed to produce the proposals in writing by the end of September, adding if not, "then it's over".

Finland currently holds the EU's rotating presidency.

A Downing Street source said: "We will continue negotiating and put forward proposals at the appropriate time."

Mr Johnson has said a deal is possible at a crucial summit of EU leaders on 17 October, but he has insisted Brexit will happen by the 31 October deadline, even if a deal is not agreed.

#5664 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,008 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:16 AM

https://www.independ...s-a9110076.html

Australian citizens could get freedom of movement rights denied to EU nationals after Brexit, international trade secretary Liz Truss has suggested.

Speaking during a visit to Canberra, Ms Truss said that the relaxation of visa requirements for Australian nationals wanting to live and work in the UK would “certainly” be looked at as part of negotiations on a new trade deal.

Home secretary Priti Patel was forced to back away from plans to end EU citizens’ rights to settle and work in the UK immediately if a no-deal Brexit goes ahead on 31 October.

But EU nationals resident in the UK are being told to apply for settled status by the end of 2020 in order to be able to remain without a visa.

At a press conference with Australian trade minister Simon Birmingham, Ms Truss was asked by reporters about a possible freedom of movement proposal which would relax current requirements for Australian nationals.

She replied: "We've been clear on the fact we want to adopt the Australian-based points system in terms of our new immigration system as we leave the European Union. We've recently made an announcement that we’re extending the work period after foreign students come to the UK for two years.

"But of course, our two countries have a special link and a historic relationship, and it's certainly something that we will be looking at as part of our free trade negotiations."

Ms Truss said: “We want a fully comprehensive trade deal that reflects our deep, ongoing relationship, the friendship between our two countries, the fact that Australians want to come and live and work in Britain, and Brits want to come and live and work in Australia.

“Leaving the European Union really does give us a chance as a country to become more outward-looking, to become more competitive, and to deepen our links with our partners right across the world.

“The reason that I’ve chosen to make Australia one of the first countries I’ve visited as trade secretary is this is an absolute priority for me to get on with this trade deal.”

#5665 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,275 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:33 AM

Sargon of Akkad fancies that he is important to British politics because he has many YouTube subscribers.

That most people who can vote in UK political elections haven't heard of him, and that the bulk of his subscribers seem to be American suggests that he may over estimate his importance.

His only appearances in the UK media are related to his abortive election campaign, which seems to have been designed specifically to bait the lefties and gain publicity and support from those subscribers.

For me he fits into the smart enough to manipulate certain groups into giving him a living category. Sort of a political PewDiePie.

#5666 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted Yesterday, 07:03 AM

So he's pretty much like any of the other "Influencers" on social media.  Famous in his smallish pond but still more likely than not to elicit a "who?" if mentioned in day to day conversation. 

#5667 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,816 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 AM

I am afraid to ask what a PewDiePie is.

#5668 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:10 AM

A guy who makes money on YouTube. Lots.

#5669 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,008 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:17 AM

I imagine its something like a Creampie, but more degrading.

(edit, well, I guess I wasnt THAT far wrong then :D)

https://www.independ...r-a9111756.html

The EU has set Britain a test it “cannot meet” with its demands to see a replacement for the Irish backstop, the Brexit Secretary has said.

Stephen Barclay said the UK should be given another year to find a new policy for the Northern Ireland border.

“We are told the UK must provide legally operative text by the 31st October,” the cabinet minister said in a speech in Madrid on Thursday.

“Yet the alternative to the backstop is not necessary until the end of the Implementation Period in December 2020.

“And this will be shaped by the future relationship – which is still to be determined.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, Yesterday, 08:24 AM.

#5670 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,920 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Sargon of Akkad fancies that he is important to British politics because he has many YouTube subscribers.

That most people who can vote in UK political elections haven't heard of him, and that the bulk of his subscribers seem to be American suggests that he may over estimate his importance.

His only appearances in the UK media are related to his abortive election campaign, which seems to have been designed specifically to bait the lefties and gain publicity and support from those subscribers.

For me he fits into the smart enough to manipulate certain groups into giving him a living category. Sort of a political PewDiePie.

Normies who don't look at stuff on the internet and still turn on BBC2 or Sky (etc) for the daily news take I'll bet. There's this big shift away from conventional TV. Older folks still adhere to TV's. Younger folks are absorbing their media a different way. One can easily look at examples of Jordan Peterson's videos and the attention they've gathered. Tim Pool is another good example. Youtube is currently trying to help prop up old media. 

One can easily look at Neislens ratings for conventional TV shows, compare them to the viewer count on Youtube videos and notice that there's a giant sucking sound that's making my corporate management unhappy. Just because you're unaware of something doesn't mean it's not there and that it's a factor. 

Oh and PewDiePie was large enough to be noticed by both Disney AND Youtube and monetized until they didn't like some of his irreverent humor. 

Think George Carlin except Swedish and not doing Standup on stage but rather on videos on Youtube. He's very silly, not my sort of thing at all. But He's basically had a very large block of viewers on youtube for long enough for Disney to notice.

​(From wikipedia) As of August 2019, the channel has received over 100 million subscribers and 23 billion video views, ranking as the second-most subscribed and eleventh-most viewed on the platform.

He's been big since 2016, large enough for the New York Times to notice as well. 

Big media is desperate to leverage the internet for moneymaking. That independents with ZERO backing can gain 100 Million viewers is nothing at all to scoff at. 

Edited by rmgill, Yesterday, 09:11 AM.

#5671 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,008 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:10 AM

There is a trend for newer generations (and the media machine such as google facilitates this) to look for the media that reinforces what you already believe. It takes sheer effort to search out alternatives to your opinion and run with it.

Well I did try with Sargon, and I find him impossible to listen to. I did try with RT and found the videodrome mind control waves impossible to deal with. So Im as contrary and opinionated as everyone else I guess.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, Today, 01:55 AM.

#5672 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted Yesterday, 04:01 PM

He's just another PayPal patriot.

#5673 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,008 posts

Posted Today, 02:31 AM

Only tangentially related to Brexit, but it does illustrate what self serving shit's the Brexit party really are.

https://www.independ...e-a9112696.html

Brexit Party MEPs abstained from voting on a European Parliament resolution on Thursday which called on Iran to release imprisoned EU-Iranian nationals, including British citizen Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

The resolution called on Iranian authorities to “immediately and unconditionally” release all dual-nationals and human rights campaigners jailed as political prisoners.

As well as naming Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who has been imprisoned in Iran since April 2016, the resolution also named EU citizens Ahmadreza Djalali and Kamran Ghaderi, who are also being held in Iran.

Despite the Brexit Party’s abstention, the resolution was passed by 608 votes. Seven opposed and 46 abstained.

The Brexit Party has 29 MEPs.

Returning to the prorogation,

https://www.standard...e-a4241361.html

MPs could be blocked for almost another month from challenging Brexit plans even if Boris Johnson loses the Supreme Court battle over his suspension of Parliament, it was claimed today. 

The Prime Minister is currently locked in a legal battle over his controversial decision to prorogue Parliament for five weeks, facing claims he wanted to shut down debate and scrutiny ahead of a no-deal Brexit. 

In unprecedented scenes, Mr Johnson was accused by former prime minister John Major’s legal representative in court of hiding the truth about the reasons for suspending Parliament and dodging the hearing to “isolate himself from challenge”. 

Campaigner Gina Miller, backed by Sir John, has challenged the prorogation in the English courts and Scottish judges found it was unlawful, sparking the high profile Supreme Court stand-off which is now into its final day.

But a legal document drafted overnight and made public this morning, reveals the prorogation may not end even if Mr Johnson loses the court fight. “The court may find that the advice was unlawful, but its reasoning leaves open the possibility of a lawful decision to prorogue for a period of the same length or for a period of the same length or for a period longer than that which has already elapsed at the date of the order,” said a document agreed by some of the lawyers in the case. 

Another option for the court is to declare the prorogation unlawful and decide the Queen should bring forward the convening of Parliament.

However, a third option — in the event of the Prime Minister losing — is for judges to declare that Parliament has actually remained in session, giving the government the chance to seek a fresh prorogation. 

The document emerged when one of the lawyers in the case, Jolyon Maugham QC, posted it on Twitter. A No 10 source said the papers were being wrongly interpreted by critics of the Government. “We will comply with the court and we will do what we need to do to get a Queen’s Speech,” said the source, “The only way you can have a Queen’s Speech is by ending a session of Parliament.”

#5674 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,275 posts

Posted Today, 03:50 AM

He's just another PayPal patriot.
Nice alliteration.

#5675 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,275 posts

Posted Today, 03:55 AM

In other news, look at the trend chart here

https://yougov.co.uk...-18-sept-update

Brexit party is spent, because Brexit oriented Tories love bojo, and Corbyn is being eaten alive by lib Dems going back to the centre after deserting Clegg over the Cameron coalition.

Edited by DB, Today, 03:55 AM.

#5676 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted Today, 06:45 AM

Only tangentially related to Brexit, but it does illustrate what self serving shit's the Brexit party really are.

See, we CAN agree on something occasionally! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users