4 replies to this topic

#1 TOW-2

TOW-2

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 1158 AM

Some notional; none produced beyond the wind-tunnel model which is a couple of S-bends short of being a Macross Valkyrie :)

Zf6CuWV.jpg

FvQivUs.jpg

A bit more practical...note, I bought the book the image below appears in when I was in high school in '87, and I really believed this was going to be a real thing:

13LoTou.jpg

BONUS F16-FSW IMAGE!  Just a General Dynamics promotional model kitbash, I think. 

SqsIvPS.jpg

#2 JW Collins

JW Collins

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 2015 PM

I recall that book, think it was part of my father's collection. There were certainly a lot of interesting F-16 variants proposed and in some cases actually built over the years.

About that time in the '80s was when the DoD was doing Advanced STOVL studies that would eventually lead to the JSF program. That F-16 "E7" may have been related to that work.

#3 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 24 November 2014 - 2220 PM

Ah. The tailless delta-winged F-16. Further hypothetical updates of that design with the alleged performance improvements made it such an awesome fighter. Too bad it never got produced. AFAIK, it could've supercruised and also had a smaller RCS, but was kept hush hush so the Fighter Mafia could get the F-22.

One thing that caught my imagination was Dale Brown's Day of the Cheetah which had Mexico equipped with that kind of F-16. There's a picture out there somewhere of a model (plastic or CGI, I dunno) F-16 delta with the conformal fuel tanks found in some Israeli and UAE F-16s. Really improves IMO the look of that lawn dart.

Edited by Corinthian, 24 November 2014 - 2221 PM.

#4 TOW-2

TOW-2

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 2249 PM

Ah. The tailless delta-winged F-16. Further hypothetical updates of that design with the alleged performance improvements made it such an awesome fighter. Too bad it never got produced. AFAIK, it could've supercruised and also had a smaller RCS, but was kept hush hush so the Fighter Mafia could get the F-22.

One thing that caught my imagination was Dale Brown's Day of the Cheetah which had Mexico equipped with that kind of F-16. There's a picture out there somewhere of a model (plastic or CGI, I dunno) F-16 delta with the conformal fuel tanks found in some Israeli and UAE F-16s. Really improves IMO the look of that lawn dart.

Well, they did build a couple of F16-XLs; NASA uses them as testbeds.  Or has, anyway.

309245main_EC96-43831-2_3x4_946-710.jpg

F-16XL.jpg

#5 JW Collins

JW Collins

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 0014 AM

The F-16AT "Falcon 21" could have been the ultimate F-16 but ultimately the USAF wanted new aircraft that offered greater capability than what even such extensive upgrades could offer.

lockheed_falcon_21_big.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users