55 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 2029 PM

After 32 years of wanting a Mac, I finally had the $$$ to get a lower spec, older one, so I have added a Mac to my computer stable.  I will relate more later, since I have been overwhelmed at work so bad I get home and go straight to bed. 

#2 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,914 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 06 November 2016 - 0048 AM

Welcome to the club. I made that switch way back when in '90. In the days of Windows 3.1 and clunky portables. I abandoned the much hated IRQ conflicts and switched to easily selected ports and consistent driver behavior with the macs. I haven't looked back. I even managed to get in on the unix thing early by playing with NeXT workstations in '92-94. 

#3 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 0848 AM

I have wanted one for years,but have never been able to afford one.  They are priced beyond the range of mere mortals for the most part.  So I have stuck to Windows.  But after getting my little Linux laptop, I have been enjoying life after Windows.  

#4 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,914 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 06 November 2016 - 1017 AM

You will find that, long term your mac will, unless you break it, maintain a very useful lifespan. Far longer than the usual windows PC. Bearing in mind that the portable stuff tends on the more fragile side due to the physical stresses. 

What are you carrying it in? I was going to suggest a Griffin Survivor case for it but that product line hasn't made it to the macbooks yet as far as I can tell.  

#5 EvanDP

EvanDP

Deus Ex Nukina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:SciFi, firearms, Military history, computers, redheads

Posted 06 November 2016 - 1149 AM

Welcome to the darkside. ;)
I've never had a Mac die on me, they just went obsolete.

#6 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,081 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 06 November 2016 - 1342 PM

Moonash-Hitchhiker.jpg

#7 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 1649 PM

Does not load.  [/url]Linux Console Wallpaper by PCbots by gcso9111, on Flickr">http://30707363182_4f1e2634cf_h.jpgLinux Console Wallpaper by PCbots by gcso9111, on Flickr

Moonash-Hitchhiker.jpg

#8 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 1700 PM

Or is it this:

[/url]2385490 by gcso9111, on Flickr">http://30824314815_0c9cdf8e5c_b.jpg2385490 by gcso9111, on Flickr

#9 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 06 November 2016 - 1752 PM

You will find that, long term your mac will, unless you break it, maintain a very useful lifespan. Far longer than the usual windows PC. Bearing in mind that the portable stuff tends on the more fragile side due to the physical stresses. 

What are you carrying it in? I was going to suggest a Griffin Survivor case for it but that product line hasn't made it to the macbooks yet as far as I can tell.  

I just want to add the following before I write what I intend to write because it is an infected topic I'm not intending to start anything here, anyone can buy whatever makes them happy.

My experience is that if you buy a similar speced, or priced "windows" machine it will last you as long.

#10 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 0731 AM

True point.  However it is purely a matter of "I want one", not that I NEED one.  My linux laptop is covering all my needs right now, and for the forseeable future.  It is purely a matter of "I WANT one". 

I just want to add the following before I write what I intend to write because it is an infected topic I'm not intending to start anything here, anyone can buy whatever makes them happy.

My experience is that if you buy a similar speced, or priced "windows" machine it will last you as long.

#11 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 0756 AM

No worries, I was referring to the "useful lifespan far longer than the usual windows PC". :)

#12 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 07 November 2016 - 1222 PM

My wife typically goes several years between MBP's. I'm addicted to my Thinkpads (using a T530 right now), and they're fairly good quality, but each of her MBP's last a year or two longer.

We just bought her a new MBP last month, not because the old one broke, but because it became too obsolete to support her needs adequately.

#13 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 0718 AM

I will get it this weekend, a buddy is shipping it to me, since he got a good deal on it.  I hope that it meets my, admittedly overblown, expectations.  I've never had one, but wanted one badly for 32 years.

#14 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 0900 AM

Just out of curosity TTK Ciar, how do your Lenovo stop lasting?

#15 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 08 November 2016 - 1212 PM

Just out of curosity TTK Ciar, how do your Lenovo stop lasting?

It's different every time, and not always Lenovo's fault (like the time I dropped my R60 down a flight of concrete steps .. it held together okay until the second bounce).

My T510's keyboard deformed until half the keys stopped working. I replaced the keyboard and then the fan bearing went wobbly and wouldn't move air quickly. I was going to replace the fan but my wife convinced me to just buy this T530 instead. I replaced the T510's fan anyway and right now it's the firewall and thermostat for the Data Shack (a place in the wellhouse for the hot, noisy computers to run -- it monitors the temperature and toggles the power to a window air conditioner unit when it gets too warm). It can be seen in this role here: http://www.linuxques...-shelves-36351/

The Thinkpad I had before that (named nozh) started mysteriously overheating (and it wasn't the fan, nor did cleaning the heatsink help) and then the video started to go bad, intermittently displaying only shades of blue. I semi-retired nozh to a server'ish role as well -- my employer at the time required remoties to use a VPN which allowed them to spy on us, so I ran the VPN software on nozh and ssh-tunneled through it on my home office desktop, isolating it from their spyware. I'm no longer with that employer, but nozh is buried somewhere under the stuff on my desk. I can still ping it, but it's without purpose. When it was in active use, our elderly cat Loki loved sleeping on it because I never fixed the overheating problem: loki-likes-dedicated-hardware.jpg

Before that was the one I dropped down the stairs, and I frankly don't remember what happened to the one I had before that.

#16 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 1352 PM

Welcome to the dark side! I made the switch in '07 and haven't looked back. Managed to avoid Windows until last week where I was issued a Dell at my new job... PC trackpads suck.

Arguably you are making the switch a not so good moment. The MacBook Pro just got a refresh and the Air will probably be phased out in favor of a simpler two family line: MacBook and MacBook Pro. They are in the middle of a badly managed transition and the new Pros are a bit pricy, the 12 in Macbook is fine for ultraportable, but lacks horsepower (the price of fanless cases) and the Air has an old chipset and terrible screen.

I actually sold my workhorse 3 year old 15 Macbook Pro last week for close to 1k. They retain value very well.

My plan is to rely on the iMac at home and an iPad for when on the road.

#17 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 0627 AM

I don't need one, I just want one.  Any suggestions of good programs to install on it?

#18 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 1202 PM

- Bartending for managing menu bar items
- iStat Menu for displaying important sistem
Metadata on the menu bar
- I played around with email clients and settled on Airmail. Stills use it on phone and iMac
- Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for doing HD clones as backups. Can't be set on a schedule.
- Pixelmator as a good and accesible Photoshop alternative

The rest it depends on the types of things you do. There is a vibrant indi app development community with some great high quality stuff. I can help if you have specific requests.

#19 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 0227 AM

Truly, the end of the world is near, as the last bastion of PC-ness, aka Murph, has now bought a Mac.

*smh*

Well, the world truly needed to go anyway....

#20 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,970 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 12 November 2016 - 0856 AM

Welcome back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users