SU-35's offered https://www.dailysab...ogram-expulsion

#2142 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 2117 PM

Let the Sultan have less capable aircraft then. And let his economy die.

#2143 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,650 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0227 AM

They really are going to enjoy the post sale support they get from Russia. Not that the Sultan gives a shit. After all, this is the same military that rebelled against him.

#2144 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0542 AM

Su-35s instead of Su-57s. The Russians don't trust the sultan either.

#2145 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 55,650 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0640 AM

Well, if they didnt trust him, its a strange choice to sell S400. I have to wonder if its a reflection that Su57 just isnt ready yet, despite the bold claims.

#2146 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0726 AM

The S-400 has been around for a while and has been sold to a number of other countries, including recently Saudi Arabia. I guess the Russians are less squeamish about sharing it than about their latest aeronautical technology.

#2147 Mistral

Mistral

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 1019 AM

I wonder, is anyone not a member of the coup?

https://www.yenisafa...o-links-3495875

#2148 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,654 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 1033 AM

Well, if they didnt trust him, its a strange choice to sell S400. I have to wonder if its a reflection that Su57 just isnt ready yet, despite the bold claims.

It will take years to set up the factories and start prosduction. the SU-35 is already in production and can be delivered in  a short timeframe.

#2149 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 1051 AM

An element of overall Turkish disappointment over the status of their EU membership hopes may be at play. The withdrawal from investment in NATO as symptomatic of this would explain some of the motivation for this.

Edited by Nobu, 19 July 2019 - 1051 AM.

#2150 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,561 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 1500 PM

Ariel Cohen on Rus TV about US-Turkey relations

#2151 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 1235 PM

JasonJ - thank you for the rundown :-) you describe a lot which Defense Industry Daily never mentioned. I really need to find better news sources for defense transactions.

#2152 WRW

WRW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 0705 AM

Turkey is as lovely as ever although much more expensive for Lira earning people.

Not so many people in the restaurants in our area

#2153 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,283 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 0801 AM

JasonJ - thank you for the rundown :-) you describe a lot which Defense Industry Daily never mentioned. I really need to find better news sources for defense transactions.

Heh, your welcome.

I forgot one item. Japan is giving the Philippines spare UH-1 parts in two batches. The first batch was already delivered early this year and the second batch of parts to be delivered in August IIRC. It'll enable Philippine's small fleet of UH-1s to be able to fly again, hopefully.

Edited by JasonJ, 24 July 2019 - 0801 AM.

#2154 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 1413 PM

Heh, your welcome.

I forgot one item. Japan is giving the Philippines spare UH-1 parts in two batches. The first batch was already delivered early this year and the second batch of parts to be delivered in August IIRC. It'll enable Philippine's small fleet of UH-1s to be able to fly again, hopefully.

At least until the UH-60 Blackhawks the Philippines has on order from the US arrive.  Once the Blackhawks arrive they are to replace the older Hueys in service.  Relevant to this thread is that the Blackhawks are part of an overall package that includes gunship helos from Turkey.  Which is likely part of why the US has not sanctioned Turkey over the S-400: We don't want to wreck an important export deal.

#2155 Yama

Yama

Finntroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 1551 PM

I wonder, is anyone not a member of the coup?

https://www.yenisafa...o-links-3495875

No. And if you ask questions like that, YOU might find yourself as a part of the coup attempt.

#2156 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,283 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 1834 PM

Heh, your welcome.

At least until the UH-60 Blackhawks the Philippines has on order from the US arrive.  Once the Blackhawks arrive they are to replace the older Hueys in service.  Relevant to this thread is that the Blackhawks are part of an overall package that includes gunship helos from Turkey.  Which is likely part of why the US has not sanctioned Turkey over the S-400: We don't want to wreck an important export deal.

Blackhawks are good but its still only 16. Keeping the UH-1s going would make sense.

#2157 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 2250 PM

Thanks to our Canadian numb nuts for cancelling a helicopter deal. Something about Liberals and helicopters in this country.

#2158 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 2252 PM

Which is likely part of why the US has not sanctioned Turkey over the S-400: We don't want to wreck an important export deal.

I don't see Trump doubling down on the F-35 cancellation with heavy sanctions on Ankara, if only to alleviate the domestic economic impact of lost sales.

#2159 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 0001 AM

Heh, your welcome.

Blackhawks are good but its still only 16. Keeping the UH-1s going would make sense.

They may do that, but if so the Hueys will be moved to secondary, safer duties.

#2160 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 0911 AM

Thanks to our Canadian numb nuts for cancelling a helicopter deal. Something about Liberals and helicopters in this country.

The Liberals tend to cancel Conservative defense contracts and vice versa.  They don't seem to care whether the armed forces need the equipment or not when doing so.