• Please log in to reply
1386 replies to this topic

#1381 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,852 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 1723 PM

HEP is almost useless in tank vs tank on the move. Nobody I knew in US forces ever gave a fig about carrying much of it. If anything, it only fueled the equally hopeless position of the old salts who swore. "we never should have given up the [M]48s!"

#1382 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,010 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 1857 PM

What's the battlesight range for an M60A1?

When? 

During the 1970s the US Armor force adopted 1600m base of target battlesight for APDS, 1100m base of target for HEAT.  This was changed in the early 1980s to 1200m center of target for APDS / APFSDS and 900m ceter of target for HEAT.  It's remained as such ever since with the M60A3, the M1, and M1A1 all sharing the same battlesight range.  Of course those are default BS ranges with the understanding that the range could be adjusted up or down depending on the battlefield and situation.

#1383 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 26,010 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 1859 PM

HEP is almost useless in tank vs tank on the move. Nobody I knew in US forces ever gave a fig about carrying much of it. If anything, it only fueled the equally hopeless position of the old salts who swore. "we never should have given up the [M]48s!"

Now you did it, now we're about to hear all about the virtues of Squash Head and its supreme ability to hit and kill tanks at fantastic ranges.

#1384 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,768 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 0319 AM

The guy who took the 5100 metre shot also claims he was able to hit a moving T62 with Hesh at 1500 metres. As he says though, it was one hell of a lucky shot.

https://www.arrse.co...r1-shot.155024/

'however the shot i was really proud of is mentioned by Mad Pierre by mistake,which was a T62 mover reversing up and out of a hull down position at about 1500m, and was hit with a HESH first round through the top of the turret, again fine laid without autolay, never did like it much. hope this helps. i was always a lucky gunner.'

Now you did it, now we're about to hear all about the virtues of Squash Head and its supreme ability to hit and kill tanks at fantastic ranges.

Nobody here has ever asserted any such thing, least of all myself.  Ive just tried to illustrate the basic difference between Obsolecent and Obsolete, which seems to go over everyones head like they indexed HEAT.

#1385 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 0709 AM

The guy who took the 5100 metre shot also claims he was able to hit a moving T62 with Hesh at 1500 metres. As he says though, it was one hell of a lucky shot.

'however the shot i was really proud of is mentioned by Mad Pierre by mistake,which was a T62 mover reversing up and out of a hull down position at about 1500m, and was hit with a HESH first round through the top of the turret, again fine laid without autolay, never did like it much. hope this helps. i was always a lucky gunner.'

Nobody here has ever asserted any such thing, least of all myself.  Ive just tried to illustrate the basic difference between Obsolecent and Obsolete, which seems to go over everyones head like they indexed HEAT.

1500M vs a moving target with 120mm HESH is not a "lucky" shot Stewart - try it out in SB. You don't need to get much further out than that before your hit probability starts to fall off dramatically, but 1500 is OK.

#1386 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 0733 AM

...provided that the target drives at a steady rate. Simulated vehicles tend to be a bit more reliable than human drivers. ;)

#1387 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,768 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 0740 AM

1500M vs a moving target with 120mm HESH is not a "lucky" shot Stewart - try it out in SB. You don't need to get much further out than that before your hit probability starts to fall off dramatically, but 1500 is OK.

But the likelihood is, this was via TOGS. Which if you know the symbology of TOGS, is pretty remarkable. You dont  get the graticule you would get looking through the day sight, and he wasnt using autolay.