748 replies to this topic

#21 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,408 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 1853 PM

Evidently a Christian in the UK saying, "God loves you" is against the law, or at the very least at least an offense the UK government has found so egregious that employees may be fired for having said it.  

http://www1.cbn.com/...lesbian-student

I'm not judging you of the UK, I merely point to this as a warning to my own brethren that we are but one side step to fascism to also suffer such thought control.  This from a fellow Christian mocking atheist, be warned, once Christendom is outlawed, the mind controllers will look for another target.

#22 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,094 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer sims, my daughter

Posted 21 March 2018 - 2025 PM

Gang, I've read UK articles about the US & our cultural peculiarities and they often come across as so clueless (Like The Guardian saying due to our 'opioid epidemic and gun culture' we need to suspend our Constitution & be placed under UN administration) that I wonder how much this is a huge misunderstanding of what's going on.

#23 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,528 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 21 March 2018 - 2026 PM

Hows that law banning people from saying some poles were Nazi sympathizers working out? :)

Personally I wouldnt lock him up. Id get him scrubbing the steps of the local synagogue. Maybe they would find his nazi pug funny.

So the cast/crew from Monty Python, how many charges should they suffer for producing things that folks found offensive? Life Of Brian ring any bells? 

#24 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,048 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 2028 PM

Hows that law banning people from saying some poles were Nazi sympathizers working out? :)

Personally I wouldnt lock him up. Id get him scrubbing the steps of the local synagogue. Maybe they would find his nazi pug funny.

So the cast/crew from Monty Python, how many charges should they suffer for producing things that folks found offensive? Life Of Brian ring any bells? 

That's different, they were offending Christians. That is progressive and noble 

#25 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,528 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 2034 PM

Gang, I've read UK articles about the US & our cultural peculiarities and they often come across as so clueless (Like The Guardian saying due to our 'opioid epidemic and gun culture' we need to suspend our Constitution & be placed under UN administration) that I wonder how much this is a huge misunderstanding of what's going on.

I'm not sure what there is to misunderstand. I've been watching this develop for the past year and have been getting my information from folks IN the UK.  

Dankula posted a video that he intended to annoy his girlfriend in 2016. He was shit posting. People do that. 

My girlfriend is always rantin and ravin about how cute and adorable her wee dog is, and so I thought that I would turn him into the least cute thing that i could think of, which is a Nazi.

His nom de plume is well chosen. The video went very viral.

The police somehow took notice of the video after it went viral and arrested Mehan and filed charges over a year ago. The court fight has lasted since 2016. 

What's more notable, as Tim Pool points out, there are many excerpts/clips of this offensive enough to convict thought crime all over the internet, even from media companies in the UK. It rather reminds me of this skit from Monty Python's Life of Brian. Except only certain people will be convicted of thought crime. 

#26 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,528 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 2036 PM

The Monty Python folks made fun of pretty much everyone. As above....not exactly making fun of Christians yet were they? 

Edited by rmgill, 21 March 2018 - 2037 PM.

#27 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,048 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 2056 PM

The Monty Python folks made fun of pretty much everyone. As above....not exactly making fun of Christians yet were they? 

I love Monty Python, and I love Life of Brian. It was taking the piss out of Christians at a time when it was still somewhat taboo. If the same movie was made now, it would be the Life of Abdullah, but even with the same lighthearted nature of Life of Brian, you could never make it. 

#28 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,528 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 2141 PM

#29 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,408 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0305 AM

John Cleese is yet another in a long line of leftist hypocrites.  He isn't talking about political correctness meant to keep those not of the left in line, he's talking about the backscatter PC that effects leftist comedians such as himself.

#30 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,408 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0312 AM

I love Monty Python, and I love Life of Brian. It was taking the piss out of Christians at a time when it was still somewhat taboo. If the same movie was made now, it would be the Life of Abdullah, but even with the same lighthearted nature of Life of Brian, you could never make it. 

I have to disagree.  Were it made today Cleese and his gang would have had far greater license to denigrate Christianity and Jews.  The one scene you would not see in the remake was the mocking of the Palestinian Front of Judea.  Though it referenced Jews, it would be far to easy to construe it as referencing Arabs. No way that gets by the minders and censors of certain governments and movie producing studios.

#31 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,924 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0312 AM

You haven't seen "Four Lions", have you.

#32 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0335 AM

They could make Life of Brian today. The difference is, there are not so many Christians in the UK that would find objection to it, which I seem to recall were so knee deep in 1979 that many local authorities banned it being shown in local cinema's.

For example Aberystwyth banned the film. And it was only shown 30 years later when the actress who played Judith, then the mayor, decided to overturn the ban. im sure there are some that have never bothered to do so.

http://www.dailymail...berystwyth.html

So political correctness is a new thing, just because the Muslims arrived here? Hardly.

Personally, I think 'Gas the Jews' is not inherently comedic in any sense. If he had said 'Sieg Heil!' or 'Springtime for Hitler' it might have got away with amusing. But you start joking about mass murder, you really cant be surprised if people start finding the comedy rather thin. I wouldnt lock him up. A good case for saying bring back the stocks and pelt him with month old bagels. Now THAT is what I call comedy.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 22 March 2018 - 0335 AM.

#33 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0621 AM

You haven't seen "Four Lions", have you.

Yes I am aware of Four Lions, but I was not aware it was a lampooning of the origin story of Mohammed....which was my point. 

#34 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • 28,777 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0743 AM

The North Minehead Bye-Election will never be the same.

hilter.jpg

#35 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0753 AM

But they didnt joke about gassing Jews.  And even in the permissive 1960s, that would have been going too far.

#36 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,425 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0821 AM

Well, the Pythons were comedians first and foremost. Just like they realized in the work for Life of Brian that Jesus as a character didn't have much comedic potential (what part of "love thy neighbor" do you want to lampoon?), there isn't much to laugh about gassing the Jews (unless you're a total douche, or a racist sociopath). The only known successful approach was Roberto Benigni's Life is Beautiful, and even that was more tragedy than anything.

#37 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0834 AM

The nearest I think the Pythons got to mocking jews was in  'The meaning of life' when the skivvy boasts of having visited the library of congress, but learned nothing. 'Well it could be worse, I could be working for jews' she/he says, and as punishment gets a bucket of sick over the head. Not one of Pythons funniest jokes, but it made the point. In Life of Brian, yes I gues they do the mock jews. But just as much as they mock the Romans and the Welsh.

#38 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,924 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0843 AM

Well, the Pythons were comedians first and foremost. Just like they realized in the work for Life of Brian that Jesus as a character didn't have much comedic potential (what part of "love thy neighbor" do you want to lampoon?), there isn't much to laugh about gassing the Jews (unless you're a total douche, or a racist sociopath). The only known successful approach was Roberto Benigni's Life is Beautiful, and even that was more tragedy than anything.

Well, there is "Train of Life".

In the very specific case of remaking "Life of Brian" with Muhammad I would argue though that any religious sensibilities involved are actually protecting all of us from the widespread concurrent movie industry approach to classics of "let's do it again with a female/minority/kiddie cast" ...

#39 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0851 AM

Kristen Wiig as Muhammad. Ellen de Generes as Jesus? Roseanne Barr as God?  :)

#40 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 0916 AM

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 22 March 2018 - 0916 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users