217 replies to this topic

#161 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 1515 PM

Does technical datas about the Type 10 engine and its transmission has been published ?

Doesn't seem so. Japanese wiki, some other websites, and one book I have on hand have information on the engine but no specific numbers such as dimensions and weight. While some websites say the engine is good for being small and light, other sources such as the book on hand also say that a drawback of the 4 cycle V8 diesel design is that it has lower ratio of engine wight/horsepower in comparison to the 2 cycle V10 engine on the Type 90. Advantages are said to be increased reliability and better fuel efficiency. Furthermore, the overall lighter weight of the tank, electronically controlled unit injector and exhaust supercharger, and the improved transfer of power with the transmission, make up for going from V10 to the V8 engine.

#162 Kadrun

Kadrun

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:I collect arms data especially used in the ROK Armed Forces. If you have question, feel free to ask.

Posted 21 November 2016 - 1648 PM

I know this is Japanese-related thread, but here is few thing about Korean armors.

1) Will Korea buy equipment from Japan.
Most likely not. Also, someone mentioned about Korea buying stuff from China, but that will not happen as well. It will be importing from US, or solely manufacture.

2) Korea no longer operates any M47. Last vehicle was phased out almost 10 years ago, and the oldest MBT that Korea operates is M48A3K.

3) ROKMC will not receive any K2 in near future. With 300 production of K2, M48A3K will be out of service. Then, transfer K1 to ROKMC since Marine is the main operator of the oldest vehicle.

4) Can Type 90 go where Type 10 can? The issue that Japan has is thr size of the tanks. Typr 90 cannot be transferred via train. Thus, the answer is NO.

5) T-80U will be out of service within few years or very soon along with BMP-3. They consider it not-efficient due to logistics. Also, T-80U is equivalent to K1A1, which is currently upgraded into K1A2. No reason for ROKA to keep Russian tanks.

#163 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 0127 AM

I know this is Japanese-related thread, but here is few thing about Korean armors.

1) Will Korea buy equipment from Japan.
Most likely not. Also, someone mentioned about Korea buying stuff from China, but that will not happen as well. It will be importing from US, or solely manufacture.

2) Korea no longer operates any M47. Last vehicle was phased out almost 10 years ago, and the oldest MBT that Korea operates is M48A3K.

3) ROKMC will not receive any K2 in near future. With 300 production of K2, M48A3K will be out of service. Then, transfer K1 to ROKMC since Marine is the main operator of the oldest vehicle.

4) Can Type 90 go where Type 10 can? The issue that Japan has is thr size of the tanks. Typr 90 cannot be transferred via train. Thus, the answer is NO.

5) T-80U will be out of service within few years or very soon along with BMP-3. They consider it not-efficient due to logistics. Also, T-80U is equivalent to K1A1, which is currently upgraded into K1A2. No reason for ROKA to keep Russian tanks.

A little Korean stuff coming into the thread is fine since sometimes Japanese stuff leaks into Korean based threads. But of course, there's the South Korean thread. http://www.tank-net....ic=41134&page=8

On 1) that doesn't surprise me. I think it is not possible to expect Japanese arms sales into RoK in the foreseeable future and likewise South Korean arms in Japan. Or ground joint-training. A K2 and Type 10 standing next to each other would make a neat picture, even better with an M1A2 as well. But relations between the two need to improve to a point of good levels which unfortunately doesn't look like it will happen in the foreseeable future. If opinion polls of South Korea and Japan give a favorable response of 50% towards each other, then that is good enough as they are currently around 20-30%. But for sharing military arms and joint-training, even 50% favorable might not be good enough.

For 4) well, even if not by train, there is capability to transport Type 90 via sea and trucks. Although maybe by sea and trucks was a less possible means of transportation for Type 90 during the 1990s. But aside from trains, I think there are two other factors that restrict the standard operation location of Type 90 tanks. The first is strategic location. Hokkaido is seen as the most likely place for large scale tank combat against former Soviet tanks, so Type 90 tanks are focused up north. The other factor is because of just natural terrain in other parts of Japan would make it very difficult for Type 90 to operate in. But anyway, here is a video of Type 90 tanks from Hokkaido being unloaded at Oita port in Kyushu for an event and getting loaded on trucks.

Edited by JasonJ, 22 November 2016 - 0130 AM.

#164 Sovngard

Sovngard

Honorary staff member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:various

Posted 16 December 2016 - 1452 PM

The M735 APFSDS was fielded with Type 74 B  as of 1984.

What armor-piercing round was used by the Type 74 between 1975 and 1984 ? British L28, L36, L52 APDS series ?

Edited by Sovngard, 16 December 2016 - 1453 PM.

#165 Wiedzmin

Wiedzmin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 1740 PM

TwtjtSwCF_Q.jpg

#166 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 1911 PM

It's said to have used the L28A1.

#167 Sovngard

Sovngard

Honorary staff member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 1103 AM

TwtjtSwCF_Q.jpg

I also found this unconventional round reported as a 105 mm HEAT-MP round used by the Type 74 tank. 

1481990481-unknown-japanese-105mm-heat-m

It's said to have used the L28A1.

Thank you once again, Jason.

#168 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 1301 PM

You're welcome Sovngard.

Regarding your picture of the unconventional round, I don't see anything that can fit it for the Type 74 tank. The picture that Wiedzmin posted looks like it shows all the rounds except for one that Type 74 has uses. The one not in the picture is the Type 00 training round which is a discarding sabot round that performs much like a regular APFSDS but isn't tipped with a perpetrator. Rather, the round you posted looks like it has a windshield cone. I can't find a good full photo of an actual round but a profile drawing I have in one of my books of the 90mm M318A1 used by the Type 61 looks a lot like what's in your picture.

#169 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,548 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 1324 PM

I also found this unconventional round reported as a 105 mm HEAT-MP round used by the Type 74 tank. 

1481990481-unknown-japanese-105mm-heat-m

Weird. The brass stub at the cartridge head looks brand new fresh from the factory and the body looks as if it went through several loading a.d unloading cycles and/or rough handling. And why the two piece construction?

#170 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

Thread necromancer and obscure questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 0547 AM

A curious looking vehicle, that Type 2 Ka-Mi is.  Just read through the Wikipedia article on it and see that the Japanese Army had been doing tests and research into amphibious tanks as easy as 1928.  Was there anyone interested in amphibious AFV's this early or were they the pioneers of such a design?

Apparently the British made something in 1921 that was a "Model D medium tank" (I'm getting this from Japanese) modified into an amphipious tank in 1921 and a "light infantry tank" version in 1922. And an American Christie kind in 1922. The first Japanese built amphipious tanks were by Mitsubishi and were SR I-go and SR Ro-go both in 1933. Neither reached production. Research continued resulting in the SRII and SRIII built by Ishikawajima but were not used much. There were other similar early projects but the Type 2 Ka-Mi was the first to be used on a large scale with 180 built and used extensively in the war.

Amphibious tanks go back further than I ever would have guessed, thank you for sharing those details with us, Jason.

French also experimented with Batignolles-Chatillon DP 2 from 1935 to 1937. No surprise it was cancelled when you look at photo.

numari71.jpg

#171 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 0718 AM

Weird. The brass stub at the cartridge head looks brand new fresh from the factory and the body looks as if it went through several loading a.d unloading cycles and/or rough handling. And why the two piece construction?

I guess for economy: keeping the good elastic qualities of brass near the breech , where that is most useful for obturation and having the rest of the cartridge, where elasticity is not as important, made out of far cheaper steel (?) compounds.... (just a theory eh..)

Also the brass needn't to be "newer" than the other metal: brass can be relatively easily polished up again to high standards, whereas the other metal might not have that quality.

Inhapi

Edited by Inhapi, 14 January 2017 - 0729 AM.

#172 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 0949 AM

numari71.jpg

Curious looking AFV indeed, thanks for sharing the picture, Nikolas.

#173 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Tanks - fire control, guns, ammo, autoloader

Posted 14 January 2017 - 1443 PM

More Informations:

http://www.chars-fra...ask=view&id=796

Edited by Stefan Kotsch, 14 January 2017 - 1446 PM.

#174 Sovngard

Sovngard

Honorary staff member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 1607 PM

Is there any pictures or videos showing the driver/turret fighting compartment of the Type 10 ?

#175 AETiglathPZ

AETiglathPZ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 1639 PM

My guess because it is a inert\training round used to teach loader how to load?

Could have been used that way for a couple decades.

Edited by AETiglathPZ, 09 March 2017 - 1641 PM.

#176 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 0734 AM

Is there any pictures or videos showing the driver/turret fighting compartment of the Type 10 ?

This is the only one I can find and it probably is not of a production model but of a prototype vehicle. Left side is commander, right side is gunner.

TK-X_2.jpg

http://eaglet.skr.jp/MILITARY/TK-X.htm

#177 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 1002 AM

A tank commander of a Type 90 died in a tank accident during training.

During AM hours at a SDF training area in Hokkaido on June 21st, a tank rolled over sideways during training and a crew member in his 30s got caught between the tank and the ground. He was taken to the hospital but he died.

According to the JGSDF Northern Army HQ, around 9:20 on the 21st, there was an accident where a Type 90 tank doing training rolled over onto its side at the large training area that is in and around the area of Chitose City, Hokkaido.

At the time, there were 4 crew members in the tank and out of them, the "tank commander", a Sergent 2nd Class in his 30s was riding in section of the turret of the tank and got caught between the tank and the ground. He was taken to the hospital but was confirmed dead after 11:00AM. The other 3 people in the tank didn't get injuries.

According to the Self-Defense Force, the Type 90 that rolled over belongs to the 73rd tank regiment, 7th Division at the nearby JGSDF Camp Minami Eniwa, and on the 21st, about 20 vehicles participated in training where they split up into friendlies and enemies.

The tank was running when it turned over. The SDF is starting an investigation into things like how fast was the tank going and what was going on at the time.

Spoiler

http://www3.nhk.or.j...1026111000.html

Edited by JasonJ, 25 June 2017 - 1002 AM.

#178 Mr King

Mr King

Major Washout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,614 posts
  • Interests:Odds and Ends

Posted 02 August 2017 - 1755 PM

zSxTkZv.jpg

#179 nitflegal

nitflegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,701 posts
  • Interests:Armor, martial arts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 0744 AM

An interesting find regarding the Chi-Ri and Chi-To prototypes.  Apparently they made it to Aberdeen and were scrapped in 1952, based on showing up ever so briefly in the first second of this video. 

#180 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 0809 AM

Stunning video footage! With any luck, there's footage of them being test driving and perhaps some documents on those results. A sad fate for them to have been scrapped there though. Thanks for the video! Any news article or government release document about it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users