• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 0011 AM

Take care, James. "One hand for yourself, one for the ship".

#62 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 0706 AM

The NATO bombing of stolen ISAF fuel tankers in Konduz was about a mile from where my MRAP got hit and knocked out. God help me, I am feeling a bit of smug satisfaction that odds are likely that some of the bad actors from that action probably got their what for today, even if its ultimately counter-productive.

#63 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,512 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 0722 AM

What's the lowdown about that incident on the scene? We're seeing media reports ranging from "56 Taleban killed while trying to escape with hijacked tankers" to "150 villagers smoked by NATO bombs while Taleban were selflessly distributing captured petrol to the needy population". Since the airstrike was called in by the Bundeswehr, I'm sensing the usual suspects spin up to exploit it against the German engagement in the ongoing election campaign. PM if more appropriate.

#64 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 0756 AM

As always, a little of both. Sure there were "innocent" civilians, women, children, men who had never fired a shot at CF/ANSF forces before. But there were bound to be bad actors, and all of them were pilfering what they know was ill gotten fuel. The video I've seen looks very similar to the pillaging of my truck. In that case it was close to structures which made striking it a no-go. In this case, there was nothing but the trucks in a river bed with a crowd of looters on and around the trucks.
The Germans have alot of restraint and restrictions upon them. The past two weeks have been alot to put up with, and they'd finally had enough and decided to put a beat down on this bad neighborhood.

#65 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,512 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 0854 AM

Thanks. I was sure there's a video. Whether it can be disclosed to counter attacks of the uninformed and malvolent will be another question.

#66 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 2239 PM

Things have cooled off here in the North, both literally and figuratively. When it gets wet and cold, "Fighting season" is over here in the North for the Afghans. Which means we and our Nordic allies will run around the battlespace engaging the locals and trying to find bad guys and not running into anything, think we are "winning".

Its the mid point of my rotation and I'm starting the journey to go on leave tomorrow.

#67 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,759 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 09 November 2009 - 1319 PM

Where ya going/at? Have a good time and be safe!

#68 Hans Engstrom

Hans Engstrom

deviant Yurropean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 1332 PM

Things have cooled off here in the North, both literally and figuratively. When it gets wet and cold, "Fighting season" is over here in the North for the Afghans. Which means we and our Nordic allies will run around the battlespace engaging the locals and trying to find bad guys and not running into anything, think we are "winning".

Its the mid point of my rotation and I'm starting the journey to go on leave tomorrow.

Which is good, since we have to do some building, and it's time to rotate FS17 back home and replace them with FS18.

#69 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 2258 PM

Where ya going/at? Have a good time and be safe!

Alot of travlin'

Home, to New Orleans for baby's first birthday, then a train trip to DC to see friends and play tourist.

Thanks.

#70 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 19,759 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 2347 PM

"Home, to New Orleans for baby's first birthday..."--James123

Most excellent!! :D

#71 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 2140 PM

Yeah very nice. 24hr trip to DC on an AMTRAC train (even "first class") was not.

Had a chance to visit the Antitam battlefield while staying in the VA area. Read about the battle many times, but to see the terrain was quite a shocker. I really can't believe that they actually fought the way that they did.

Still got turkey day to get thru and then a few more days to relax before heading back.

#72 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 0525 AM

The. Last. Couple. Weeks. Go. So. Damn. Slow...

#73 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 19,759 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 1219 PM

The. Last. Couple. Weeks. Go. So. Damn. Slow...

Would extending speed them up? :P

#74 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2010 - 0746 AM

My Afghan tour is complete as well. I'm in Manas on our layover/customs hoops doing laundry and charging batteries.

Can't say it was fun or even professionally fulfilling, just glad its over.

Edited by JamesG123, 01 April 2010 - 0100 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users