Photo

An Object Lesson In Why Not To Outsource In National Security.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,201 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 23 October 2018 - 1532 PM

Or you can go tiny pre-fab:

Not in the Europe where every plot of land in the decent distance around center costs soo much that unless you build towers it is never going to pay off at any sort of afordable pricing.

Edited by bojan, 23 October 2018 - 1532 PM.

#62 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 1543 PM

As I said in other topic, if you want affordable housing that will not put people in heavy debt for 25 years - only solution are brutalist concrete monstrosities.

Concrete can be used without brutalism: The key is the proper amount of ornamentation and humanizing structural design.  I can't quantify this exactly, since its based on feeling, but I'm certain its something that can be done with imagination.

fallingwater-831x624.jpg

artmuseum.jpg

That first photo of Fallingwater is quite on topic, since one of Frank Lloyd Wright's early projects in the Chicago area was a plan to build large-scale production-capable, but still decent home for average (white) Americans after World War I.  The plan didn't succeed but the two Wright-designed prototype homes that were built are still standing today and have in fact been designated as historic landmarks.

#63 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 2220 PM

Wright's Robie House in Chicago, which, interestingly enough, spent part of its post-war life as office space for the University of Chicago according to the docent, is open to the public and worth a visit. 

#64 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 0354 AM

Is there a tax on your home, ie "property tax" in Europe? Is there also a sales tax on basic services such as gas, electric, sewer and water?

#65 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 1143 AM

Can't speak for everywhere, but in the UK there is a local "Council Tax" which is banded depending on a notional home value, but isn't a direct percentage of that value. It is subject to modifiers depending on whether the home is in single occupancy or not. For me, with a 25% single occupancy discount that's about £1200 per year. My home is mid-tier. Central government sets limits on the amount that can be collected, or at least sanctions councils that increase the rate too much in a year.

Services like gas, electricity and water are taxed through Value Added Tax, but at a reduced rate compared to other goods and services. That goes to central government.

#66 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,445 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 24 October 2018 - 1159 AM

And most local Council funding comes from central government. I have always been dubious about the fairness of Council Tax, but, when they tried to replace it, they did so with something even worse. That didn't last long.

#67 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:history, music

Posted 27 October 2018 - 1522 PM

Is there a tax on your home, ie "property tax" in Europe? Is there also a sales tax on basic services such as gas, electric, sewer and water?

In Sopron, Hungary yes, there is a "property tax" called "communal tax" based on the area of house, land, holiday house (compared to what DB is paying, it is a tiny fraction for 53 m2 flat in a block, 26 £ / year). Yes, basic services taxed with various VAT tax keys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users