Favorite Breakfast

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Interests:History, military, or whatever The culinary arts. Good- looking women. Fine spirits, beer, wine, hard-cider, vodka or whatever trips yer' trigger

Posted 19 November 2008 - 1308 PM

I rarely eat breakfast but my fave is always (for decades)
pork sausages with easy-over eggs, panfried potatoes with onions,
salt and pepper and rye toast if there's room.

I get cranky with total disappointment if the eggs are over or underdone!!!

It's funny. I just cooked that the other day! The only thing is, I cooked it for supper! :lol:

#42 Bob B

Bob B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 0100 AM

Creamed chip beef on toast, otherwise known as "$hit on a shingle."

I like it! The Stouffer's brand stuff in a micro wave pouch is almost as good as home made, and a lot less hassle. It is great on toast, but also pretty good on mashed, or baked, potatoes. Ad a dash of Texas Pete hot sauce, and you have a real treat.

FWIW, I think we had a thread about this several years ago.

#43 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

Velkomin heim Tankur-netters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, people, stuff of life in general --- past, present and future!

Posted 06 December 2008 - 1722 PM

It's funny. I just cooked that the other day! The only thing is, I cooked it for supper! :lol:

:D Me too often ... when I crave "that breakfast" I'll have it any time of day or night!

I often cook up enough potatoes for leftovers so I can have them ready for panfrying
... rather than panfrying raw potatoes, though do that too. Leftovers means
less work and time for nuking or panfrying and it's nice to have them heatable in a few
minutes when I want/need NOW. :D

BTW ... I usually panfry with white or green onions ... and often I just have salt and pepper
for spices, but sometimes I add oil and some butter, and quite a bit of paprika (hungarian is fave) ... sometimes parsely. The paprika adds a bit of sauciness and a great taste. YUMMERS!

Edited by VenerableDamePW, 06 December 2008 - 1728 PM.

#44 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,986 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 08 December 2008 - 1412 PM

I've recently become somewhat addicted to scrambled eggs with smoked salmon mixed in. Although I am going to have to scratch my creamed beef over eggs and potatoes itch soon.

#45 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 0528 AM

Serbian breakfast

Espresso
Cigarette
Rakija, preferably sljivovitza (substitute whiskey if rakija unavailable)
Repeat during the day

Major Wassisname, circa 1984/5: "A real tanker's breakfast is a good cigar, a good cup of coffee and a good puke".

Can't argue with that logic...

#46 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts
  • Interests:You seriously DO NOT want to know.

Posted 09 December 2008 - 0757 AM

He should have tried the infamous Serbia-Irish breakfast…

Not entirely incompatible with his own…

#47 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Interests:History, military, or whatever The culinary arts. Good- looking women. Fine spirits, beer, wine, hard-cider, vodka or whatever trips yer' trigger

Posted 09 December 2008 - 2014 PM

:D Me too often ... when I crave "that breakfast" I'll have it any time of day or night!

I often cook up enough potatoes for leftovers so I can have them ready for panfrying
... rather than panfrying raw potatoes, though do that too. Leftovers means
less work and time for nuking or panfrying and it's nice to have them heatable in a few
minutes when I want/need NOW. :D

BTW ... I usually panfry with white or green onions ... and often I just have salt and pepper
for spices, but sometimes I add oil and some butter, and quite a bit of paprika (hungarian is fave) ... sometimes parsely. The paprika adds a bit of sauciness and a great taste. YUMMERS!

You absolutely have to fry your hash browns in butter. The only other acceptable substitute is bacon grease.~ :lol: I also flavor mine with chopped onions, fresh cracked pepper, salt and paprika. Normally, on the weekend when I make baked potatoes, I usually make three or four too many, just so I can cook some fried potatoes one day during the coming week.

#48 Hittite Under The Bridge

Hittite Under The Bridge

Would you like to touch my monkey?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 2040 PM

You from Travese City?

Traverse City.....mmmmmmmmmm Boooooooooone's.

#49 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 1132 AM

Although I am going to have to scratch my creamed beef over eggs and potatoes itch soon.

Damn, I miss that. Real creamed beef doesn't seem to have the same wonderful nastiness as the Army stuff.

Edit: You have a good recipe?

Edited by m1a1mg, 10 December 2008 - 1145 AM.

#50 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 1453 PM

Nothing that had the right taste, but I just did a search for army recipe cards and found this http://www.tpub.com/...Ground_Beef.htm You'll have to cut it down some :)

#51 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 1731 PM

Damn, I miss that. Real creamed beef doesn't seem to have the same wonderful nastiness as the Army stuff.

Edit: You have a good recipe?

Here's a more handy recipe.
http://www.cooks.com...-253193,00.html

#52 snafu_72

snafu_72

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 1952 PM

Favorite breakfast would have to be the following:

Strong black coffee
Fresh squeezed OJ or tomato juice on ice
1/4 inch thick ham slice
Truck stop gravy so thick you can stand a spoon up in it served over homemade biscuits
scrambled eggs in butter with cheese, onions, green peppers and mushrooms

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to the job we go!

Followed by an hour nap!

(-:

#53 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,032 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 12 December 2008 - 0909 AM

Best breakfast, when I can arrange it, is left over seafood pizza from the night before (just ONE night before) served cold, with hot coffee. As an alternative, left over Chinese, also eaten cold.

Plus two ibuprophen tablets and a multi-b vitamin to get me through the day.

If I have to buy breakfast on the way to work, as not too many places sell cold pizza at that time of morning, it is bacon and egg sandwiches with extra cholesterol

#54 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 1023 AM

Here's a more handy recipe.
http://www.cooks.com...-253193,00.html

That did it, thanks for the link. It's -14F hear today so to have done completely right, I should have stood in the driveway eating it on the hood of my car while the neighbor's truck spewed diesel exhaust my way but sanity prevailed.

#55 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 1026 AM

That did it, thanks for the link. It's -14F hear today so to have done completely right, I should have stood in the driveway eating it on the hood of my car while the neighbor's truck spewed diesel exhaust my way but sanity prevailed.

Ah the memories that brings back.... :lol:

#56 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 2047 PM

Creamed chip beef on toast, otherwise known as "$hit on a shingle."

When I'm at the Golden Coral on Saturday morning. BUt my GF's bicuits and gravy are the best homemade breakfast for me by far.

#57 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 2330 PM

The perfect breakfast, I have decided is definately Corned Beef Hash over hash browns, with a side of grits. THAT'S a breakfast that will get you up and going able to face whatever the day throws at you.

#58 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 1639 PM

The perfect breakfast, I have decided is definately Corned Beef Hash over hash browns, with a side of grits. THAT'S a breakfast that will get you up and going able to face whatever the day throws at you.

I don't believe a breakfast exists that would get me ready for the shit you see.

#59 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 1827 PM

Heh, you guys wanna talk stereotypes --

Weekday: NYC (it's got to be from around here, although Montreal bagels are awesome too, just different) with veggie cream cheese and tomato slices, OJ, giant coffee, gulp them down while walking briskly to subway.

Weekends: If I'm waking up early, bacon/egg/cheese drowned in Sriracha on a roll from the nearest bodega -- the Hispanic-owned ones do it the best (no pork fear).

If I'm meeting friends, probably some yuppie omelette brunch action with tons of coffee and a couple bloody marys (salted rim please!)

#60 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,322 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 2115 PM

Heh, you guys wanna talk stereotypes --

Weekday: NYC (it's got to be from around here, although Montreal bagels are awesome too, just different) with veggie cream cheese and tomato slices, OJ, giant

Bagels... I never understood the appeal of bagels. (fighting words, dons flame suit hehehe)

:P

Gimme hot garlic fried rice with some of our heart-attack-inducing Lucban longganisa, a sunny side at the side, atsara or some tomato slices, and a small bowl filled with hot beef broth with bits of parsley. Now THAT is breakfast. Mmmmmmmm....

(then hours later, a pain on the neck, the left arm cramps, and the chest feels tight hahahahaha :lol: )

Edited by TomasCTT, 06 November 2009 - 2116 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users