686 replies to this topic

#681 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 0613 AM

By the way, it would be interesting to know, how many cartridge cases fit into the turret basket.  And how acrobatic it is to remove the cartridge cases.

I meant the empty cartridge cases. They fall after the shot down to the bottom of the turret basket.

Ok, that makes sense, silly me, the spent cartridges. I don't know :D

In the video, it looked like they jumped around a bit inside and could fill up quickly.

Such good sense as expected into how such designs can effect things like crew comfort and ROF. Happy to help :)

#682 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,481 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 0725 AM

By the way, it would be interesting to know, how many cartridge cases fit into the turret basket.  And how acrobatic it is to remove the cartridge cases.

I meant the empty cartridge cases. They fall after the shot down to the bottom of the turret basket.

In the video, it looked like they jumped around a bit inside and could fill up quickly.

Such good sense as expected into how such designs can effect things like crew comfort and ROF. Happy to help :)

A tad awkward. Absent a human loader, an ejection system or combustible cases, it would appear the tank would have to withdraw from contact so the TC and gunner could clear out the empties.

Looking more closely, there may be space for a loadout of cases, so dumping empties could be part of ammo replenishment.

Edited by shep854, 25 September 2019 - 0746 AM.

#683 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 0809 AM

A tad awkward. Absent a human loader, an ejection system or combustible cases, it would appear the tank would have to withdraw from contact so the TC and gunner could clear out the empties.

Looking more closely, there may be space for a loadout of cases, so dumping empties could be part of ammo replenishment.

I couldn't say if it was a design acceptance but maybe as a light tank, maybe it could be viewed that extended length of contact shouldn't happen often. All I could say in its defense, if there is indeed no ejection system/hatch somewhere.

#684 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 0320 AM

For example, the Jagdpanzer Kuerassier from Austria (or also the AMX-13) has only 2 x 6 rounds in the turret bustle.  Long action without detachment for reloading is not provided.

Edited by Stefan Kotsch, 26 September 2019 - 0322 AM.

#685 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 0521 AM

If the autoloader can be replenished from within the vehicle by the crew using the internal store of 20 rounds, then the empty cases can go into the racks where the reserve ammo is kept when the autoloader is being replenished. After the second load of ammunition is fired, there will be 18 cases in the ammo racks and 18 cases in the turret basket. That's quite a lot of cases, but it should still be manageable.

#686 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 0546 AM

Note that there are false claims made in some sources that the case is ejected from a port in the bustle.

#687 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,481 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 0851 AM

Makes one kind of miss the pistol port...