• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,619 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1000 AM

There was some asshole on here, damned if I recall who, suggesting a short tube 155 for general support at battalion or bde combat team level over a decade ago.

I like long ranged tube artillery, but if you're all stuck on stupid WRT fighting the mythical Soviets in some Gotterdamerung, you might want to figure out how you're going to call for fire in an intense ECM/ECCM environment.   You retrans stations are going to get pounded, and point to point with VHF isn't going to fly at 30+km ranges, especially with jamming. So now you're looking at HF(sucks) or satcomm, which also sucks for different reasons.  Having your firesupport range roughly mirror your comms range is probably a thing to consider.  S/F....Ken M 

#62 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,212 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1103 AM

There was some asshole on here, damned if I recall who, suggesting a short tube 155 for general support at battalion or bde combat team level over a decade ago.

I like long ranged tube artillery, but if you're all stuck on stupid WRT fighting the mythical Soviets in some Gotterdamerung, you might want to figure out how you're going to call for fire in an intense ECM/ECCM environment.   You retrans stations are going to get pounded, and point to point with VHF isn't going to fly at 30+km ranges, especially with jamming. So now you're looking at HF(sucks) or satcomm, which also sucks for different reasons.  Having your firesupport range roughly mirror your comms range is probably a thing to consider.  S/F....Ken M 

What concerns me most, regardless of range, is that the AO is likely to be crawling with "tourists" and "reporters" with binoculars, satphones with GPS and even drones, that, under likely RoE, won't even be arrested, let alone shot. If every time anything you have stops in one place for more than 10 minutes, it gets shelled, considerations about the maximum range of whatever artillery you have become moot.

#63 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1212 PM

IIRC, during the 2003 Iraq invasion, some US Army types got into hot water for firing at a reflection that they saw in the upper window of a building, believing that it could be the optic of a rifle or guided weapon of some type. It turned out to be a foreign TV crew (French?) and some of them were killed/injured.

#64 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 48,730 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1452 PM

Al Jazeera IIRC. There was some rejoicing on here at the time best I can recall.

#65 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 23,212 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1607 PM

The thing is, if we get our own shit together on the ECM/ECCM front, the same applies to networking by the potential peer enemy. There are things that can be done. Repeaters can be made small, mobile, mounted on drones, placed among decoys etc. Use can be made of burst, LPI and frequency agile transmission, though all have limitations. The British Army have been placing antennae far away from comms vehicles and CPs as far back as the 1950s. As I see it, expendable repeaters getting destroyed is less of a problem than the enemy DFing the originator of the call for fire. Things like blue force tracking could potentially make an enemy's job a lot easier.

#66 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1631 PM

Supposedly, Russian battlefield EW/ECM capabilities are superior in many ways to those of NATO.

#67 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,707 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1749 PM

IIRC, during the 2003 Iraq invasion, some US Army types got into hot water for firing at a reflection that they saw in the upper window of a building, believing that it could be the optic of a rifle or guided weapon of some type. It turned out to be a foreign TV crew (French?) and some of them were killed/injured.

Spanish. The local anti-Americans are still milking that event.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/José_Couso

#68 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 1101 AM

What concerns me most, regardless of range, is that the AO is likely to be crawling with "tourists" and "reporters" with binoculars, satphones with GPS and even drones, that, under likely RoE, won't even be arrested, let alone shot. If every time anything you have stops in one place for more than 10 minutes, it gets shelled, considerations about the maximum range of whatever artillery you have become moot.

it depends. unoficcially there might have been incidents when estonian EDL members have met some over-enthusiastic non-native photographers in middle of forest roads after the said photographers followed the military colonnes and they have decided on spot to gift their cameras away. or drop on the road. or so i´ve been told. 

#69 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,619 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 16 December 2018 - 1935 PM

I don't know what war zones ya'll have been in, but we killed anyone who looked like they were a F/O in the ones I've been.  To include early teenaged "kids."  Just like shitheads bringing their kids to invade, err "illegally immigrate" to another country, you play big boy games, you use big boy rules. 

There's a word for people more concern about the welfare of the enemy than the welfare of their own.  And there's an age old solution too.  S/F....Ken M

#70 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,701 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 16 December 2018 - 2103 PM

6inch HE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users