#741 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Cold war era tanks

Posted 19 August 2018 - 1847 PM

Looks like one of those Crouse-Hinds spotlights on an M48.

Attached File  lR-69VaymmSjKA0eaGZ1btatdXGz4QfW_dO1VCO-mAo.jpg   213.97KB   0 downloads

#742 Tim Sielbeck

Tim Sielbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Steel Beasts, WW1 aviation, Epees

Posted 19 August 2018 - 2348 PM

The  IR sights were useful only at near/battlesight ranges and were not shared with the tank commanders, who alone had the rangefinders. Obviously, there was limited night fighting for tanks worldwide post-WWII and the IR equipment of the USSR held little to no advantages.

According to my copy of TM 9-2350-215-10, 1965, IR equipped M60s had a device called a metescope that appears to be an IR sensitive attachment that was placed over the rangefinders eyepiece so the commander could range at night. Reference is given as TM 5-1090-203-15 for its operation.

Edited by Tim Sielbeck, 19 August 2018 - 2349 PM.

#743 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,309 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:24 AM

The  IR sights were useful only at near/battlesight ranges and were not shared with the tank commanders, who alone had the rangefinders. Obviously, there was limited night fighting for tanks worldwide post-WWII and the IR equipment of the USSR held little to no advantages.

According to my copy of TM 9-2350-215-10, 1965, IR equipped M60s had a device called a metescope that appears to be an IR sensitive attachment that was placed over the rangefinders eyepiece so the commander could range at night. Reference is given as TM 5-1090-203-15 for its operation.

You certainly couldn't range at night using them, could barely see anything through them, they were primarily used to detect IR sources.  I didn't see or hear about them until arriving in Germany in 1980, by which time you would think they should have been widely fielded.  Widely fielded meant issued to tank platoon leaders and above and kept in the arms room.  Just another useless sensitive item we signed for and kept safely hidden in the back of the odoment tray until we returned from the field.

#744 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,341 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted Yesterday, 05:45 PM

At the time, I thought the metascope was to be used to read a map with the aid of a red lens flashlight in the turret. Agree that it was never used, for anything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cold War, US Army, upgrades, history, M60, M1 Abrams, M113

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users