#41 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,131 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 16 January 2017 - 2305 PM

Moving something is just dragging it to the new loacation, unless its on another volume, then thats a copy.

To create a copy of a file in a different folder, you hold down the option key and then drag. The plus sign indicates that its not a move but a copy.

Well, in Windows I can cut/paste a file  to a new folder without having two windows open, or copying when moving to a new volume. I'm pretty sure they have the command by now, and I haven't found it. God forbid Apple call it "cut" though.

#42 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 17 January 2017 - 0131 AM

esc-new-macbook-pro-accessory-only-69-99

#43 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 1253 PM

LOL That is so true.

esc-new-macbook-pro-accessory-only-69-99

#44 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 1305 PM

Well, I made a discovery, that I can connect an HDMI cable to my macbook and play movies from iTunes on my TV!  The next thing to do is see if I can connect Lupe's new laptop via the same method so she can use Skype with Victoria on the large screen.  I am using the little linux machine to surf the net while I watch a movie on the macbook.  Since I am home with the flu, I have time to do stuff.  I found a 17" macbook pro with 8 gb of ram, for a reasonably decent price, and wonder if Lupe would like it?  The mac is a nice machine, I don't have any real preference for it over the linux machine for the most part.  The mac does have a really good build, and an insane battery compared to the HP linux machine.  

#45 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,792 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 18 January 2017 - 1539 PM

Get an Apple TV and you should be able to Mirror direct to it via the Wifi connection. 

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT204289

#46 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 1316 PM

The more I use the Macbook, the more I like my linux laptop better.  While the Mac is nice, and I am using it right now, the Mac o/s quirks are a bit annoying.  cntrl-shift to right click is a little counter intuitive.  The build quality, and screen are really really nice, plus the insane battery life.  Getting in and removing all the little bits is a PITA.  I installed Cleanmymac 3 and I did not like being nagged, so I uninstalled it.  However there were chunks left, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to kill them.  Even terminal did not kill it.  Finally I found this site: https://www.macworld...ps-mac-3463412/  I finally was able to kill all the little bits and pieces left after the uninstallation.      

#47 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 21 April 2018 - 1336 PM

Tangentally, I accidentally discovered how much battery life a Linux laptop can have when I put together a dedicated secure unit.

I like my everyday-use T530 laptop, so I bought another one, with 4GB of RAM and a low-end CPU (2.2GHz), and put a 128GB SSD in it .. figured I didn't need any more hardware than that, for mostly light text editing.

To eliminate likely side-channels I physically removed its wireless and ethernet devices.

Then I stuck an extended-cell battery in it, because my everyday-use T530 only gets 2.5 hours and I expected the same out of the new one.

Lo and behold, it gets eight hours of battery life. Eight hours. I was shocked.

Edited by TTK Ciar, 21 April 2018 - 1336 PM.

#48 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 0906 AM

Sounds like a good mod.  I am forcing myself to use the Mac on a daily basis for a week.  I bought the O'Reilly Press Mac O/S book to give me some hints.  I'd like to use the terminal more, and it seems that Apple has crippled it somewhat.  I also would like a larger drive since 256 gb seems to be filling up too fast.  I also found this site:  https://www.macofalltrades.com/  A buddy used it, and said that they were good and fast.  I might get a used iMac later on.     

#49 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,792 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 1006 AM

The more I use the Macbook, the more I like my linux laptop better.  While the Mac is nice, and I am using it right now, the Mac o/s quirks are a bit annoying.  cntrl-shift to right click is a little counter intuitive.  The build quality, and screen are really really nice, plus the insane battery life.  Getting in and removing all the little bits is a PITA.  I installed Cleanmymac 3 and I did not like being nagged, so I uninstalled it.  However there were chunks left, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to kill them.  Even terminal did not kill it.  Finally I found this site: https://www.macworld...ps-mac-3463412/  I finally was able to kill all the little bits and pieces left after the uninstallation.

Get a 3 button mouse.

Are you sure it's control shift to get the modifier key? On my system it's just control as it has been since contextual menus came into being in.....the 90s iirc.

I don't know that the terminal is crippled, it's just based on the NeXT Mach system which was a bit different.

Edited by rmgill, 22 April 2018 - 1007 AM.

#50 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 1047 AM

I tried rm to remove the fiddly bits, but it did not work, even after I did sudo, and no joy.  I wish there was a book of Mac terminal commands like there is for linux.  I like working in terminal more than I thought I would.  I am getting used to the cntrl-tap to open a right click, I have a regular Logitech mouse but I decided to use the Macbook for a week to get used to it.  I should have gotten the 15 inch version rather than the 13 inch, but it is really nice and light.  I haven't tried a game on it, so I might boot up civilization V and try that.  

Get a 3 button mouse.

Are you sure it's control shift to get the modifier key? On my system it's just control as it has been since contextual menus came into being in.....the 90s iirc.

I don't know that the terminal is crippled, it's just based on the NeXT Mach system which was a bit different.

#51 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,131 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 22 April 2018 - 1242 PM

Mine's soldiering on (3 years on by now), and apart from the entire logic board dying suddenly and without warning it's just fine. $750 repair was a bit of sticker shock (No, I didn't get Apple Care) and even the repair place was shocked that it went out that soon. Local folks were far better than the Apple Store who wasn't sure what was the matter with my MacBook and just suggested I buy a new one. <_<

#52 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,792 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 1849 PM

I tried rm to remove the fiddly bits, but it did not work, even after I did sudo, and no joy.  I wish there was a book of Mac terminal commands like there is for linux.  I like working in terminal more than I thought I would.  I am getting used to the cntrl-tap to open a right click, I have a regular Logitech mouse but I decided to use the Macbook for a week to get used to it.  I should have gotten the 15 inch version rather than the 13 inch, but it is really nice and light.  I haven't tried a game on it, so I might boot up civilization V and try that.

Be careful deleting things. Best to be sure you're turning off components first before deleting them. You'll probably find that they get reinstalled next OS update you have run though.

There are command references out there. I think OReilly has an advanced book.

#53 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,994 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 23 April 2018 - 0753 AM

Try FreeBSD command references, for example;

http://www.ws.afnog....freebsdref1.pdf

#54 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 0504 AM

Thanks, I will give it a shot.

Try FreeBSD command references, for example;

http://www.ws.afnog....freebsdref1.pdf

#55 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 0505 AM

I played Civ V on it, and boy did it get hot and the fans got loud!  It played ok, no crashes, and Civ V is an older game with no super intense graphics needed to run it.

#56 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,533 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 1336 PM

I find that I am spending more time on the linux machine rather than the mac these days.  I love the screen, fonts, and attractive look, but I like Linux for being about to add stuff, and not be controlled by Cupertino.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users