#1 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,118 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0413 AM

https://www.bbc.co.u...canada-46135459

Police are responding to reports of a mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California.

Police say at least six people, including one officer, were injured when gunfire broke out the Borderline Bar and Grill at about 23:20 local time on Wednesday.

It is not yet clear if there are any fatalities.

Footage broadcast on local media showed people being carried away from the scene, apparently with bullet wounds.

Police say they are still working to get the scene under control. They cannot yet confirm if the suspect is on the loose.

The bar was hosting a college country music night on Wednesday, according to its website.

Witnesses who were at the bar are describing a scene of panic.

Reports say the suspect may have used smoke grenades as well as a gun in the attack.

#2 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,671 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0427 AM

Oh for fucks sake :( 

#3 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0647 AM

Good thing I held off on my initial "no dead reported, should be in the 'Because, America' thread rather than warrant its own" reaction.

13 Dead in Thousand Oaks, California Bar Shooting; Gunman in Black Threw Smoke Grenades

A shooter opened fire on an 18+ country music night in a club north of Los Angeles early Wednesday morning.

Jamie Ross

11.08.18 3:23 AM ET

The dance floor at a college country dancing night was full Wednesday night when witnesses say a gunman dressed all in black opened fire with a semi-automatic handgun.

At least 12 people —including veteran sheriff Ron Helus—were killed.

The shooting was reported to police at around 11:20 p.m. at Borderline Bar & Grill late Wednesday night. Sheriffs have confirmed that there were multiple injuries as well as the 12 people who died.

Ventura County Sheriff Sgt. Eric Buschow said the gunman was found dead inside.

Witnesses who were at the entrance to the club when the shooting began told ABC7 that a young man dressed in black shot the doorman and the cashier at the front desk before throwing smoke grenades into the building and then firing onto the dance floor.

[...]

One man only named as Tim said the man had a powerful handgun. “He shot the doorman, just a young man, he shot the cashier, just a young girl,” he said. “He just started shooting and I should have stayed until he changed his clip but I was worried about my boy. I should have stayed, I apologize to anybody who got hurt. I’m sorry. They’re all young, I’m 56, I’ve lived a life. They’re all young. This shouldn’t happen.”

The eyewitness confirmed that it was college night at the nightclub, where his stepson was among the crowd. “There were just young people, like young, 18, 19, 20, just having a great time,” he said. “Then this maniac came in and started shooting at people for no reason at all. These people never hurt anyone in their lives, they’re just kids. They’re just kids.”

[...]

California Lutheran University and California State University, Channel Islands, as well as Moorpark, Ventura and Oxnard College are all near the club. Students from Pepperdine University in Malibu were also believed to be at the event.

Pepperdine said in a statement: “The university has received reports that several Pepperdine students were at Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks this evening when a gunman reportedly entered the building and began shooting. At this time, the university is working to identify and provide support to those students.”

Oxnard police department tweeted that it had sent sent patrol and SWAT resources to assist in Thousand Oaks. The FBI are also reportedly on the scene.

https://www.thedaily...rticles&via=rss

#4 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0725 AM

This could never happen in Gun Controlled California!  No, it can't be that a CRIMINAL got a gun!  How bad.  I thought with gun control in California, this sort  of thing would never happen?  

#5 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0745 AM

Oh for fucks sake :(

same :( :(

what made the perpetrator flip this time? A hatred of country music?

This could never happen in Gun Controlled California!  No, it can't be that a CRIMINAL got a gun!  How bad.  I thought with gun control in California, this sort  of thing would never happen?  

California needs more smoke bomb control!

#6 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0757 AM

College outsider taking it out on the cool kids, elderly neighbor making them get off his lawn, disgruntled former club employee, spurned lover, sudden jihad syndrome, hyperpartisan nutjob pissed off by the midterm results, general-purpose whacko, take your pick.

Edited by BansheeOne, 08 November 2018 - 0757 AM.

#7 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0758 AM

College outsider taking it out on the cool kids, elderly neighbor making them get off his lawn, disgruntled former club employee, spurned lover, sudden jihad syndrome, hyperpartisan nutjob pissed off by the midterm results, general-purpose whacko, take your pick.

bad childhood. You forgot bad childhood.

#8 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,671 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0803 AM

That's what gets me. Now mass gunning is every loser's way to deal with their misery. Not drugs, not alcohol, no bridge jumping, they go get a gun and fucking hurt others. Its like now rejects are weaker or meaner or angrier than ever before in History.

#9 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,118 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0815 AM

Reportedly a Sherriff's deputy (2 if I heard rightly) were on station in 3 minutes, but they met a fusilade of fire (bump stock maybe?) and were unable to enter the premises. One of them was killed.

12 killed reported on CNN, not entirely clearly if that includes the one that doesnt count (the shooter). Whom is dead of a gunshot wound, not clear if that was self inflicted or the Deputies got lucky.

Initial report said the shooter looked middle eastern and wore black, but Im not sure we should take that entirely seriously at the moment.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 08 November 2018 - 0818 AM.

#10 JasonJ

JasonJ

majideyabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,073 posts
  • Interests:Being odd and unusual.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 0924 AM

Came up on the local night news. Got several minutes worth of time showing interviews with several of the people there at the time of the shooting, saying things like people were getting on top of each other to try and get down for cover, etc. One witness described the man as white, fairly tall, dark clothes, a black hat (IIRC). Report showed some footage of the place during regular dance hours, place can clearly be very crowded with the country style group dancing, nice looking place. 12 dead including the officer, over 10 injured. Report said motive was not known as of now and is unclear if it was a form of terror. Showed a screenshot of Trump's response on twitter. That's from my end.

#11 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 16,388 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1004 AM

My condolences

Mixed reports now how it started - one of the visitors describe security guard shot first

#12 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 48,118 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1018 AM

Ex USMC veteran using a Glock Pistol apparently. Sounds like he was high proficient unfortunately. According to CNN, some of the people whom survived were also present at the mass shooting at Las Vegas If I heard correctly.

Least we can probably rule out terrorism, though I dont think thats much consolation.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 08 November 2018 - 1019 AM.

#13 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1057 AM

Picked!

#14 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,568 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1155 AM

My condolences.

Was the Las Vegas shooting also in a Country music thing? There could be a weird pattern here.

#15 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1226 PM

Was the Las Vegas shooting also in a Country music thing? There could be a weird pattern here.

It was, yes. As if things couldn't get any more bizarre! But drawing conclusions from two data points would be hasty.

#16 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 23,062 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1229 PM

It was, yes. As if things couldn't get any more bizarre! But drawing conclusions from two data points would be hasty.

As opposed to drawing conclusions from zero data points which is all the rage here on TN.

#17 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,581 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1249 PM

As opposed to drawing conclusions from zero data points which is all the rage here on TN  earth.

Fixed it for you :D .  Leaping to conclusions is probably a survival trait.  

#18 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,503 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1317 PM

Unless you're close to a cliff edge.

28 year old ex US Marine with a history of mental health issues.

Using a Glock in .45 with an (illegal in California) extended magazine.

I don't normally do this, because it feels empty, but for what it's worth, I express my condolences for the victims and especially to the Sheriff's department sergeant who died whilst doing his best.

I think that has to be amongst a first responder's worst nightmare - to have to go in as you are against a competent adversary, however unhinged they may be.

#19 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,433 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1356 PM

So the one constant in most of these incidents, mental health issues, shows up yet again.  Once again I imagine it'll be ignored in both the dialogue and with zero effort expended trying to figure out ways to address it.

#20 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 1422 PM

That's what gets me. Now mass gunning is every loser's way to deal with their misery. Not drugs, not alcohol, no bridge jumping, they go get a gun and fucking hurt others. Its like now rejects are weaker or meaner or angrier than ever before in History.

There are lots precedents, it gets airtime and headlines. Being famous once or at the minimum getting noticed by an ignorant world, even if it is posthumously. :(

So the one constant in most of these incidents, mental health issues, shows up yet again.  Once again I imagine it'll be ignored in both the dialogue and with zero effort expended trying to figure out ways to address it.

as an ex-USMC he should have had rather better medical and psych treatment avaiabel IIRC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users