19 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,576 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 0951 AM

What is the fascination with "K-Pop" and "K-Dramas"?  My oldest is coo-coo for cocoa pops over K-Pop.  She does not speak Korean, but she loves it.  Lupe has been binge watching K-dramas such as "Descendents of the Sun, Mr. Sunshine, Korean Odyssey, etc" on netflix.  I will admit that Mr. Sunshine was pretty darn good, as was Man to Man, which she has also watched.  She says she likes them because they, and the Taiwan dramas have humor, and no nudity or graphic sex (for now reason other than to put T&A in a show).  

Anyone else have this issue with their kids and/or spouse?

#2 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1250 PM

my wife uses k-cosmetics and  every couple months has to show ID when buying wine. we´re married for over 19 years. i guess that qualifies?

#3 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1338 PM

I am not a fan of the Korean Wave.

Edited by Nobu, 03 January 2020 - 1339 PM.

#4 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1354 PM

Ever read about how exploitative the k pop industry is? That should ruin anyone's love for the genre.

#5 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1923 PM

There's a few people I knew/know that really got hooked on it. The strange thing is when its a foreign language that they don't know. But human drama and music do transcend actual language differences. The K'stuff industry is very active about winning their nitch in the entertainment industry. I've watched a few k dramas several years ago with my gf (now wife). It was good, did its job in being a romantic comedy. I think K-pop is a little closer to general American character than J-pop. So that, and K-pop artists practice a lot. They get very good at dance moves. Kind of like with the computer game starcraft. In the pro-gamer scene, they practice a lot and team making became a company sponsoring activity. They got very good and resulted in great matches to watch. Many of the music artists I'd imagine were aware of the commitment needed to thrive in it. But it does seem to have a heavy show biz weight result with a few very notable artists committing suicide. One recent one was Hara gu from the group KARA. Not long before that was a suicide from a very popular boy band group called SHINee. K-pop has gained a lot in other Asian countries like Taiwan, Singapore, and so on. They had big success in Japan too but politicized history aspect shot it down. So in that way, I think the K-drama got really good at making twisting and romantic storylines that catch the human emotion of some people more than Holly Wood ever could or other American stuff ever could. One other theory I have is that by being created from by much an unknown country/culture/people, then there is little to no preconceptions or dispositions that a viewer probably has that have been firmly established towards the real life of their own country/people/culture and which undoubtedly is going to include some negative or at least mundane emotions. But by viewing something from a totally different country that is hitting all the human romance buttons, it is also probably coming free from those personally and unconciously but established preconceptions and despositions.

#6 Calvinb1nav

Calvinb1nav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1940 PM

Yea, my Netflix recommendations are overrun with Korean dramas but I have a Korean wife.  :)

I remember back when Korea wasn't cool and people avoided a military assignment to Korea at all costs.  Right before I retired, I met families who picked an assignment to Korea over one to Germany.  Also, run into random civilians at my work now who want to visit Korea on vacation because of Kpop and Korean dramas.  And it was bizarre to see tons of white and black teenagers dancing and singing along to Kpop at the annual Korean festival here.  

If you like action movies, you must see the Korean movie, "Man from Nowhere".  Better than "John Wick".  Seriously.  It's available on Amazon Prime now.

Edited by Calvinb1nav, 03 January 2020 - 1941 PM.

#7 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 1950 PM

There is an element of nationalism and pride inherent to the success of the Korean Wave. Not to deny Korea and Koreans the right to feel this way, but its crashing on Japan's shores is to be avoided.

#8 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,576 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 2201 PM

Yea, my Netflix recommendations are overrun with Korean dramas but I have a Korean wife.  :)

I remember back when Korea wasn't cool and people avoided a military assignment to Korea at all costs.  Right before I retired, I met families who picked an assignment to Korea over one to Germany.  Also, run into random civilians at my work now who want to visit Korea on vacation because of Kpop and Korean dramas.  And it was bizarre to see tons of white and black teenagers dancing and singing along to Kpop at the annual Korean festival here.  

If you like action movies, you must see the Korean movie, "Man from Nowhere".  Better than "John Wick".  Seriously.  It's available on Amazon Prime now.

Me too and my wife is Mexican American!  She loves to cry along with the “Korean novelas”.  My dad hated Korea but he was the in 1972.  

#9 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 17,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 0052 AM

For awhile my daughters were anime nuts, but that has seemed to have passed

#10 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,002 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 0742 AM

While I don't like zombie movies "Train to Busan" is a gem, being basically history of the Korean war told as a zombie movie.

Edited by bojan, 04 January 2020 - 0742 AM.

#11 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 1311 PM

I used to own a copy of "Brotherhood of War." Pretty decent movie, but a bit Hollywoodish.

#12 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,576 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 1906 PM

Well now the oldest wants to learn Korean, so i ordered her some books.  

#13 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 2021 PM

I will extend a GL to her. It's an enjoyable advanture to learn the meaning behind something that one likes. Coming after the obligated Spanish at school that I failed to take the initiative to take seriously that I wish I had now, Korean was my first foreign language attempt by individual choice. Japanese came on board a couple of months later and so it became duel language learning for me for a good while.

On a serious note, branching out into international social endeavors to expand on the language learning is a challenging endeavor that requires commitment to keep pushing onwards. But there is massive meaning behind the ability to extend a social connection between those of different languages and cultures, often can not be expected to be properly rewarded in the form money.

#14 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 2141 PM

For awhile my daughters were anime nuts, but that has seemed to have passed

I think the same could be said for many, especially upon exposure to that which explores the darker side of the Japanese psyche.

#15 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 0856 AM

I will admit that Mr. Sunshine was pretty darn good, as was Man to Man, which she has also watched.  

There you have your answer. :)

And I take the opportunity to recommend "Dramaworld". Only partially Korean but oh so funny. https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Dramaworld

#16 Calvinb1nav

Calvinb1nav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 1958 PM

Best of luck to her.  Went to DLI, was exchange student at the Korean Air Force Staff College several years ago, and still can't speak it worth a damn.  Supposedly English and Korean are the hardest languages.  

If she is serious, I'd recommend "Using Korean" by Miho Choo and "Essential Korean Grammar" by Laura Kingdon beyond the basic textbooks.  Also, get the Anki flashcard app for Android or Apple.  Lots of good flashcard sets available.  There is no shortcut to learning a foreign language and the unpleasant truth is you have put in the grind to memorize a large vocabulary.  Anki is my favorite flashcard app (there is desktop version too for Windows).  I can send my Basic DLI vocab list for Anki if interested.  

PBAR

Edited by Calvinb1nav, 06 January 2020 - 2001 PM.

#17 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,576 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 0601 AM

Best of luck to her.  Went to DLI, was exchange student at the Korean Air Force Staff College several years ago, and still can't speak it worth a damn.  Supposedly English and Korean are the hardest languages.  

If she is serious, I'd recommend "Using Korean" by Miho Choo and "Essential Korean Grammar" by Laura Kingdon beyond the basic textbooks.  Also, get the Anki flashcard app for Android or Apple.  Lots of good flashcard sets available.  There is no shortcut to learning a foreign language and the unpleasant truth is you have put in the grind to memorize a large vocabulary.  Anki is my favorite flashcard app (there is desktop version too for Windows).  I can send my Basic DLI vocab list for Anki if interested.  

PBAR

Thank you, I will recommend it to her.

#18 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 1039 AM

PBAR

In college I tested out of 14 hrs of spanish. The DLI sent me a bunch of letters after that but I never followed up. Reading about it now, the DLI seems tougher than med school in spite of being shorter (no mandatory pt in medical school).

What was DLI like for you?

#19 Calvinb1nav

Calvinb1nav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 1248 PM

In college I tested out of 14 hrs of spanish. The DLI sent me a bunch of letters after that but I never followed up. Reading about it now, the DLI seems tougher than med school in spite of being shorter (no mandatory pt in medical school).

What was DLI like for you?

It was difficult but I guess that would depend on the language you are learning.  Not as difficult as med school I'd imagine but definitely way less difficult than the Undergraduate Navigator Training I did.  

I had some additional challenges in that I went as an officer in my late '30s.  Brain plasticity wasn't as good for me as it was for my 18 year old enlisted classmates.  I also had a 6 month daughter so I was in the midst of extended sleep deprivation...

#20 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 0059 AM

What is the fascination with "K-Pop" and "K-Dramas"?  My oldest is coo-coo for cocoa pops over K-Pop.  She does not speak Korean, but she loves it.  Lupe has been binge watching K-dramas such as "Descendents of the Sun, Mr. Sunshine, Korean Odyssey, etc" on netflix.  I will admit that Mr. Sunshine was pretty darn good, as was Man to Man, which she has also watched.  She says she likes them because they, and the Taiwan dramas have humor, and no nudity or graphic sex (for now reason other than to put T&A in a show).  

Anyone else have this issue with their kids and/or spouse?

You seem more like a J-Pop type. Baby Metal or Shonen Knife? ;-)

Japanese Police procedurals that I saw in the late 80s were decently fun. The Taxing Woman Movie set (two movies, A Taxing Woman and A Taxing Woman Returns) wasn't bad as I recall.