13091 replies to this topic

#13081 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,700 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 1736 PM

The lame excuse is about organ theft. As if organ theft doesn't happen. https://www.cbsnews....al-organ-trade/

If organ selling were to be legalized organ theft would cease for obvious reasons.

I rather think it would increase as there would then be a larger market both black and legal. 

Did the market for illegal hooch and bath tub gin increase or decrease with the repeal of prohibition?

Edited by DKTanker, 16 October 2019 - 1737 PM.

#13082 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 2341 PM

The legal market will charge what the market will bear, and since a twelve pack doesn't cost as much as a kidney there will still be plenty of haves and have nots -- and plenty of room for a black market of organs.  The only difference is, it'll be easier for the black marketers.

Illegal pot isn't coming from south of the border anymore, the cartels set up shop in the legal states, far easier to move product.

#13083 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 0140 AM

Another big win for big government types;

https://pjmedia.com/...-and-wildfires/

As if things aren't bad enough in California with wildfires and power outages, the state Fire District has decided that Ham radio equipment in remote areas must be removed unless radio operators cough up a big fee to lease the land from the government. In an email to Ham operators, Lorina Pisi wrote:

I do understand and appreciate all of the service you have provided in the past. However, with constantly changing technological advances, there is no longer the same benefit to State as previously provided. Therefore, the Department no longer financially supports HAM operators radios or tenancy. If you desire to enter into a formal agreement to operate and maintain said equipment, you must complete and submit attached collocation application along with fee as outlined on page one of application. There is cost associated with getting an agreement in place. In addition to the technical analysis fee ($2500/application), there is DGS Lease admin cost associated (typically between $3000-$5000) with preparation of lease. Also, there will be an annual rent charge based upon equipment type/space.

Ham operators have been assisting fire and emergency services for free for years. Their contributions are well-documented. The equipment costs the state nothing, as it is operated by the owners. There is no benefit to removing it and, in fact, removing the only source of communication available when the power is out and the cell towers are down is downright criminal. Ham radio is a time-tested, low-cost, reliable means of communication when emergencies strike. OffGrid Survival reports, "What is infuriating here is people are going to die because of this decision. It costs the State of California nothing to allow these repeaters on public land; in fact, Ham Radio Operators pay for the equipment and maintain the equipment at their own cost. Ham Radio operators also make nothing from running these radio repeaters; they do so as a service to the public to help ensure the public’s safety during natural disasters and emergencies."

When all of their fancy networked communications systems shit the bed during a prolonged emergency, little ham operators will still be plugging away on traffic nets and providing comms to shelters...free of charge.

I bet this comes from the cell phone industry (especially the providers) to get more free frequencies by pushing out other users out of the EM spectrum. so not really a lefty thing. Rather very unleashed capitalism like.

Edited by Panzermann, 17 October 2019 - 0141 AM.

#13084 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,897 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 0520 AM

The "Fake Mexican" Robert Francis DWI O'Rourke says turn in your guns or face consequences:  https://dailycaller....s-give-up-guns/  At least he is telling us the truth on what the Dems want to do.

I don't know what these consequences would be as the liberals plan to decriminalize everything.  I guess they would switch from imprisoning for real crime to political crimes and thought crimes.   

Last night the Fake Mexican Idiot...well, he's an idiot.  When asked why would criminals willingly turn in their weapons, Fake Mexican said Americans are good people who will follow the law.  Which just begged for a follow up question, not asked.  If all Americans will follow the new Fake Mexican law, why weren't they all willing to follow all of the laws already on the books?

He is doubling down, and I wonder what the other Communist, sorry Democrats think about him outing what they are going to REALLY do?  https://hotair.com/a...door-take-guns/

#13085 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 0538 AM

As if things aren't bad enough in California with wildfires and power outages, the state Fire District has decided that Ham radio equipment in remote areas must be removed unless radio operators cough up a big fee to lease the land from the government. In an email to Ham operators, Lorina Pisi wrote:

I do understand and appreciate all of the service you have provided in the past. However, with constantly changing technological advances, there is no longer the same benefit to State as previously provided. Therefore, the Department no longer financially supports HAM operators radios or tenancy. If you desire to enter into a formal agreement to operate and maintain said equipment, you must complete and submit attached collocation application along with fee as outlined on page one of application. There is cost associated with getting an agreement in place. In addition to the technical analysis fee ($2500/application), there is DGS Lease admin cost associated (typically between $3000-$5000) with preparation of lease. Also, there will be an annual rent charge based upon equipment type/space.

Ham operators have been assisting fire and emergency services for free for years. Their contributions are well-documented. The equipment costs the state nothing, as it is operated by the owners. There is no benefit to removing it and, in fact, removing the only source of communication available when the power is out and the cell towers are down is downright criminal. Ham radio is a time-tested, low-cost, reliable means of communication when emergencies strike. OffGrid Survival reports, "What is infuriating here is people are going to die because of this decision. It costs the State of California nothing to allow these repeaters on public land; in fact, Ham Radio Operators pay for the equipment and maintain the equipment at their own cost. Ham Radio operators also make nothing from running these radio repeaters; they do so as a service to the public to help ensure the public’s safety during natural disasters and emergencies."

When all of their fancy networked communications systems shit the bed during a prolonged emergency, little ham operators will still be plugging away on traffic nets and providing comms to shelters...free of charge.

I bet this comes from the cell phone industry (especially the providers) to get more free frequencies by pushing out other users out of the EM spectrum. so not really a lefty thing. Rather very unleashed capitalism like.

If what you posted is true, it would be crony capitalism. A problem more in line with liberalism.

#13086 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 1524 PM

Did the market for illegal hooch and bath tub gin increase or decrease with the repeal of prohibition?

There's never been a legal market for human organs. One of the arguments that I've seen is that if you have a legal argument then it becomes more trivial to falsify the origin of organs taken under duress. 

There's also some rather substantial baggage that goes along with buying and selling of humans or parts of humans. 

Edited by rmgill, 17 October 2019 - 1528 PM.

#13087 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,700 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 1958 PM

There's never been a legal market for human organs. One of the arguments that I've seen is that if you have a legal argument then it becomes more trivial to falsify the origin of organs taken under duress. 

There's also some rather substantial baggage that goes along with buying and selling of humans or parts of humans. 

Anything can be opined, the trick is coming up with evidence to support the opinion.  And no, supposition doesn't count.  Am I the only one that finds it rather ironic that the family of the deceased potential donor are encouraged by the healthcare industry to GIVE the gift of life, but don't encourage surgical teams to GIVE their services for the gift of life?  Don't encourage pharmaceutical companies to GIVE their immunosuppressive drugs as a gift of life? And don't encourage hospital facilities to GIVE their rooms and staff as a gift of life.  Everyone but the family of the deceased benefits from the "gift" of life.

#13088 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,156 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 2204 PM

If what you posted is true, it would be crony capitalism. A problem more in line with liberalism.

The ham radio operators aren' t losing spectrum, they are losing state support of facilities (typically, repeaters on a hilltop/mountaintop with a little cinder block building, free electricity (upwards of $100/year), and dirt road access to such.

Cellphone frequency bands: 600 MHz, 700 MHz, 1.7/2.1 GHz, 2.3 GHz, and 2.5 GHz

2 meter amateur radio: 144.000 MHz – 148.000 MHz

highest common amateur radio band: 70cm or 430.000 MHz – 440.000 MHz

Its the feds that hams have to fight, periodically. FCC always wants to reallocate spectrum to folks with deep pockets (i.e. hookers and blow for the Congressmen on the various committees).

#13089 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,897 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 AM

The ham radio operators aren' t losing spectrum, they are losing state support of facilities (typically, repeaters on a hilltop/mountaintop with a little cinder block building, free electricity (upwards of $100/year), and dirt road access to such.

Cellphone frequency bands: 600 MHz, 700 MHz, 1.7/2.1 GHz, 2.3 GHz, and 2.5 GHz

2 meter amateur radio: 144.000 MHz – 148.000 MHz

highest common amateur radio band: 70cm or 430.000 MHz – 440.000 MHz

Its the feds that hams have to fight, periodically. FCC always wants to reallocate spectrum to folks with deep pockets (i.e. hookers and blow for the Congressmen on the various committees).

Agreed.

#13090 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,897 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Nothing to see here, move along:  State Department finally gets around to admitting over 600 violations in the Hillary E-mail drama.  I predict no one will be punished unless it is some expendable little guy, and the Status Quo will reign: https://pjmedia.com/...n-email-review/     

#13091 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,897 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:54 PM

I did the Political Compass test and here is where I stand: https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

https://www.politicalcompass.org/chart?ec=0.38&soc=0.82

#13092 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:40 PM

I tried that political compass to see how my inner Nazi would look like answering all the questions to the extreme right goose stepping best and I came more out to be more like Thatcher than Hitler.

Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.74

Now trying to be my best bat s$#t crazy leftists antifa I scored.

Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23

So I think it might not be all that accurate and slightly slanted to the left.