211 replies to this topic

#201 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,911 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 0530 AM

Why does Slackware get the photo it does?  I know that they are very conservative, and the most POSIX compliant of the linux distributions, but does that make them any worse than Arch?

#202 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 31,731 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 03 June 2019 - 0601 AM

A bit dated

.. and yet the depictions for Fedora/CentOS, Ubuntu and Slackware are still amazingly accurate ;-)

Actually, IME the Fedora fanboys tend to be younger (you know, like in their 40s) and less corporate. There's a huge difference between Fedora fanboys and CentOS fanboys; Fedora fanboys wear Tux t-shirts, CentOS fanboys wear polo shirts.

Murph, the slam at the Slackware crowd is simply an illustration of the different mindsets. Enthusiast versus production sysop. The younger two decades of admins tend to have the "change is better!" thing going on. They get wound up about distros, desktop environments, etc. Older folks tend to want less admin drudgework, more stability, and its about the user application not the OS. 

For home use, to me its all about drivers and documentation. For work, its about security, stability, and uptime. When it comes to sysadminning, the people to whom I listen talk about uptime in terms of years, not days. 

#203 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 03 June 2019 - 1803 PM

Yeah, what he said.

Also, Slackware is the oldest surviving Linux distribution. Fair or not, that colors the way it's seen in mainstream youth-worshipping society.

That view is compounded by its tendency to package slightly older versions of its software and by the very real fact that the Slackware-using demographic is somewhat older.

There was a poll which illustrated that last bit on LinuxQuestions recently:
https://www.linuxque...ers-4175653164/

age_of_slackers.png

Regarding Fedora and CentOS:  Fair enough.  My interpretation of the picture was that they're both primarily for enterprise use, which is true.  Fedora is a desktop-oriented distribution with a lot of effort put into office productivity tools and integration with typical corporate employee-facing infrastructure, while CentOS/RHEL is built for enterprise servers in a datacenter.

Your view is more nuanced, which is a good thing.

Edited by TTK Ciar, 03 June 2019 - 1805 PM.

#204 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• Members
  • 31,731 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 03 June 2019 - 1813 PM

Your infographic puts me on the downhill slope, so I now officially hate you.

#205 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,911 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 0525 AM

Your infographic puts me on the downhill slope, so I now officially hate you.

LOL, Been there, and I am arguably older than you are since I am staring really, really hard at 60.

#206 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,873 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 0836 AM

A bit dated

.. and yet the depictions for Fedora/CentOS, Ubuntu and Slackware are still amazingly accurate ;-)

Actually, IME the Fedora fanboys tend to be younger (you know, like in their 40s) and less corporate. There's a huge difference between Fedora fanboys and CentOS fanboys; Fedora fanboys wear Tux t-shirts, CentOS fanboys wear polo shirts.

you can wear Tux polo shirts:
https://www.tux-onli...lo-shirt-3d-tux

best of both worlds. :D

Murph, the slam at the Slackware crowd is simply an illustration of the different mindsets. Enthusiast versus production sysop. The younger two decades of admins tend to have the "change is better!" thing going on. They get wound up about distros, desktop environments, etc. Older folks tend to want less admin drudgework, more stability, and its about the user application not the OS. 

For home use, to me its all about drivers and documentation. For work, its about security, stability, and uptime. When it comes to sysadminning, the people to whom I listen talk about uptime in terms of years, not days.

I am always a bit miffed, wehn I have to reboot for a patched kernel. But kexec on a laptop or home PC is a bit much.

btw, about teh Mint Linux user, what am I when I use the pure debian based mint?

And what about MX Linux? Runs fine on my older laptop.

And it lets you FUBAR it just fine by installing a custom gaming kernel. But easily rolled back. Thats what I get for installing a rolling release kernel optimised for low latency and gaming.  ^_^

edit: this one: https://liquorix.net/Hey it was just one click...

Edited by Panzermann, 09 June 2019 - 0837 AM.

#207 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• Members
  • 31,731 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1049 AM

btw, about teh Mint Linux user, what am I when I use the pure debian based mint?

An Asian-American nerd taking all AP courses at the STEM magnet school.

And what about MX Linux? Runs fine on my older laptop.

I haven't even heard of it, so it must be the domain of knaves, scoundrels, and wastrels.

#208 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,911 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1232 PM

MX is getting lots of good reviews lately.  As for Linux Mint Debian Edition, I might try it at some point.  

#209 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• Members
  • 31,731 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1450 PM

So I decided to look into Mint Debian, which meant I had to revisit Debian itself. And, sadly, the Debian authorities have gone full SJW;

https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

#210 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,911 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1843 PM

So I decided to look into Mint Debian, which meant I had to revisit Debian itself. And, sadly, the Debian authorities have gone full SJW;

https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

Eventually the SJWs will ruin Debian itself.  

#211 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,911 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:16 AM

Canonical's decision to remove 32 bit software from Ubuntu is a BAD IDEA.  Killing off the gamers will reduce Linux to a smaller user base, since why would many use an o/s that prevents them from doing everything they want to do?  It will, I fear reinforce the perception that Linux users are a small elitist group of geeks.  Hopefully Mint will either get with Valve and do something, or focus on LMDE as a primary.

#212 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,873 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Canonical's decision to remove 32 bit software from Ubuntu is a BAD IDEA.  Killing off the gamers will reduce Linux to a smaller user base, since why would many use an o/s that prevents them from doing everything they want to do?  It will, I fear reinforce the perception that Linux users are a small elitist group of geeks.  Hopefully Mint will either get with Valve and do something, or focus on LMDE as a primary.

Debian still has no plans to remove multiarch, so there is that. And Ubuntu is a Debian derivative anyway. But with the "anti-harassment" stuff...

Is there any big linux variant that has not been infected?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users