• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,606 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 10 April 2017 - 1531 PM

Odd that they don't show an optical sight on the rifle/carbine.

#122 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 15,640 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 1724 PM

It would be quite enlightening to hear any reports from the users (guessing they're private security contractors maybe) in Iraq who are using the VHS-2. Its a weapon I'd never heard of before, until very recently anyway.  

What about the future of Belgium's F2000, made by FN?  The little information that I've read about this weapon is that it hasn't exactly been a success in the export market at least.  Smart looking weapon for sure, but looks alone won't win a contract...

I just find it somewhat curious as to why bullpups haven't been a bit more successful in the Russian armed forces.  They have tried them in the past, and perhaps the most successful was the OTs-14 "Groza" 9x39mm assault rifle.  At least it made it into production, but seemingly fell out of favour not too long after.  Unless of course the sheer number of available AK's of various types have an influence over the introduction of any new small arms.  

I have had the Chinese type 97, awkward controls, but nice to shoot, particularly with the Canadian FTU mod. I now have a Tavor, much better controls, but stock the Type 97 trigger is better than the Tavor, but with a aftermarket trigger the Tavor easily wins. I suspect the type 97 is a stronger than the Tavor in case something goes wrong.

As for the FS2000, I got to shoot one and fiddle with it. Very nice to shoot and would make a nice civiy gun for hiking and popping varmints. It's far to fiddly and to many loose and breakable bits for a conscript army. 

#123 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 20,720 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 10 April 2017 - 1943 PM

Also, clearing a stoppage.....

Ze froggies are skimping and trying to recycle their FAMAS optics, assorted magnified and EOTech.

Edited by Simon Tan, 10 April 2017 - 1944 PM.

#124 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 2203 PM

The Type 97 uses brass as an area defense weapon, with 2 settings, gone and sub orbit. if it goes bang it will come out.....

#125 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 20,720 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 2333 PM

Fixed ejector?

#126 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 1106 AM

I believe so

#127 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 1638 PM

The French GIGN counter terrorism units adopts the CZ 806 Bren 2 in 7.62×39mm because:

Faced with terrorists equipped with bullet-proof vests, French gendarmerie and police intervention units found that 9 mm weapons had little efficiency in such situations and that 5.56 mm ammo lacked the necessary stopping power.

The CZ spokesperson said that the GIGN identified a need for a new weapon able to fire a heavier bullet. The 7.62 x 51 mm caliber had the suitable characteristics but the weapons for this caliber were considered too heavy and bulky for efficient close-quarter combat.

Thus, GIGN decided to evaluate assault rifles chambered in the 7.62 x 39 mm caliber instead and undertook trials throughout 2015 with a variety of weapons.

CZ’s offering was only proposed in the latter stages of the evaluation program. Throughout the better part of 2016, the rifle was intensively tested in a variety of situations and was found to be the most reliable and efficient weapon within the panel of rifles tried by the GIGN.

#128 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,194 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 0542 AM

7.62x39mm, "obsolete, non-NATO standard" as we heard from certain people on this grate sight. :D

PS. They should have asked nicely for 9x39mm.

#129 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 20,720 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 1003 AM

IMPOSSIBLE. Dirty Communist propaganda. 7N23 FTW.

Edited by Simon Tan, 16 April 2017 - 0111 AM.

#130 Charles

Charles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:AFV, Military History

Posted 20 April 2017 - 1024 AM

Someone please enlighten me here. UK armed plod uses (from my observations) G36k; with frangible rounds (I think). Otherwise, the last place I want to be is near a tanto that is about to get turned into a collinder, blow through and all that. Even should the savage be wearing body armour, wouldn't the frangible 5.56 hit with enough energy to put them on their arse?.

TIA

Charles

#131 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 1038 AM

Someone please enlighten me here. UK armed plod uses (from my observations) G36k; with frangible rounds (I think). Otherwise, the last place I want to be is near a tanto that is about to get turned into a collinder, blow through and all that. Even should the savage be wearing body armour, wouldn't the frangible 5.56 hit with enough energy to put them on their arse?.

TIA

Charles

I doubt that they use frangible ammo - it's usually used only for training or aircraft-in-flight scenarios. It's more likely they use hollow point ammo which in 5.56 would have no problem going through soft armor.

#132 Charles

Charles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:AFV, Military History

Posted 20 April 2017 - 1108 AM

Someone please enlighten me here. UK armed plod uses (from my observations) G36k; with frangible rounds (I think). Otherwise, the last place I want to be is near a tanto that is about to get turned into a collinder, blow through and all that. Even should the savage be wearing body armour, wouldn't the frangible 5.56 hit with enough energy to put them on their arse?.TIACharles

I doubt that they use frangible ammo - it's usually used only for training or aircraft-in-flight scenarios. It's more likely they use hollow point ammo which in 5.56 would have no problem going through soft armor.

Thanks Gregory.

Charles

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)